Saturn Sky Forum banner

Would you consider buying a factory equipped V-6 Sky

• Yes - The V-6 smoothness, sound, etc. would add to my driving pleasure.

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Yes - The V-6 could be more easily modified.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes - Other reasons.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No - The base 2.4-liter four-cylinder is fine by me.

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • No - I'd prefer the 2.0-liter Turbo for its response and potential gas savings.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • No - Other reasons.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Maybe - Depends on price, etc.

Votes: 15 15.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MT CONFIDENTIAL
June 2006 MOTOR TREND
by Mike Connor

...Word is the Kappa-based Chevrolet Stingray is off. But a V-6 for the Pontiac Solstice (and presumably, the Saturn Sky) is on and would give the Kappa sportsters up to 300 horsepower. We're guessing it's a version of one of the General's High-Feature V-6s, like the 3.6 in the Cadillac CTS and various Buicks.
Would you consider buying a factory V-6 equipped Sky?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes!
This seems like a natural fit for a car this size. I'd rather see this than a high strung turbo 4 cylinder.
Why not?!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone considered how much a 6-cylinder Sky would cost? I'm talking about just the base price. Personally I think I'd just save up and graduate to a Jag or Mercedes convertible. I like the Sky, and for it's price range it's a very neat, affordable car. But let's be for real. For the amount of money you'd end up paying for a 6-cylinder Sky (with all your optional bling), you might as well go European. It would be a more practical "investment". The Europeans still win hands down for having the coolest sportscars. And the Sky certainly can't compete with their re-sale value................:cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I like the price of the Sky as it is. It's affordable but the car with a V6 would be interesting. Wouldn't it give it a little more muscle?

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Has anyone considered how much a 6-cylinder Sky would cost? I'm talking about just the base price. Personally I think I'd just save up and graduate to a Jag or Mercedes convertible."
That's a pretty ridiculous conclusion. Take the 2.4 and add two cylinders
witht the same architecture. Why in the world would you think this would cost a fortune? By all rights , it sjould cost less than the 4 cylinder turbo. The idea that adding two cylinders would put the Sky into Jag or Mercedes territory is totally ludicrous. Those cars are so massively overpriced and understyled (they're plain Janes, especially the Mercedes). Of course, Mercedes are known for being fabulously expensive to maintain and were almost dead last in reliability for the past 5 years. There's no end to the reasons for avoiding those losers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
SkyRaider said:
Has anyone considered.............. And the Sky certainly can't compete with their re-sale value................:cool:
I pretty much agree with most of your post, but the last sentence does bother me just a bit. There hasn't been and won't be for some time any history of resale of the Sky. I am not aware of resale values in Alaska, but many imports returning from lease/trade-in here are priced somewhat lower than you might expect. I can't see how (the Sky) one could lose much value in the first year or two if the car is in reasonable shape with fairly low mileage. In this area there are more imported roadsters than you can shake a stick at, but the Sky stands out far above them as far as people's curiosity and giving positive comments about Saturn's new baby.

·
Registered
115 Posts
GMguy said:
"Has anyone considered how much a 6-cylinder Sky would cost? I'm talking about just the base price. Personally I think I'd just save up and graduate to a Jag or Mercedes convertible."
That's a pretty ridiculous conclusion. Take the 2.4 and add two cylinders
witht the same architecture. Why in the world would you think this would cost a fortune? By all rights , it sjould cost less than the 4 cylinder turbo. The idea that adding two cylinders would put the Sky into Jag or Mercedes territory is totally ludicrous. Those cars are so massively overpriced and understyled (they're plain Janes, especially the Mercedes). Of course, Mercedes are known for being fabulously expensive to maintain and were almost dead last in reliability for the past 5 years. There's no end to the reasons for avoiding those losers.
OK I stand corrected on the Jag. The XK series convertible starts around 70K, but the Mercedes SLK series "roadster" (6 cylinder) starts at 43K, which would probably put the SKY (6 cylinder fully loaded) in the same league pricewise. Wow, think of that! But I have to be honest with you, if I had 43K to spend on a convertible, I would seriously consider the 6 cylinder Mercedes over the 6 cylinder SKY (just my opinion)....................:cool:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The MotorTrend rumor has been 95% confirmed as completely made up.

I spoke with a couple of people at GM and asked about V6-powered kappas. The answer was that there was no such thing, but if you want to believe in it, go right ahead.

Seriously, though, there are NO V6 kappa products - not even test mules "running around" as MotorTrend claims. Unless they are in the same garage as the "125 mile per gallon carburetor 350 hp V8" car... :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
KappaMan said:
The MotorTrend rumor has been 95% confirmed as completely made up.
Besides, what would they call it if "Sky Redline" is already taken? "Sky Really Red Line, And This Time We Mean It"!

·
Registered
115 Posts
How about Sky High?!!!.....................:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can get a helluva lot more for 43k out of the SKY then you can the Mercedes. If you got the money to spend you can send it off to Ohio to Mallet and let them upgrade it for you. With their base upgrades alone it would put you in a class far superior to the Mercedes on performance. The Sky is unique the Mercedes is not.

·
Registered
802 Posts
cjegg said:
You can get a helluva lot more for 43k out of the SKY then you can the Mercedes. If you got the money to spend you can send it off to Ohio to Mallet and let them upgrade it for you. With their base upgrades alone it would put you in a class far superior to the Mercedes on performance. The Sky is unique the Mercedes is not.
Thank you, that is what I was trying to say.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Of course I have my Sky and love it, so won't be getting a new one any time in the future. With a VIN under 1000, I intend to keep it for as long as possible. I am about to restore the '71 Vette I have had for 13 years, so that should tell you how long I hold on to cars I like, and I love the Sky.:thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sky Hi said:
Yes!
This seems like a natural fit for a car this size. I'd rather see this than a high strung turbo 4 cylinder.
Why not?!
i wouldn't call one of the most technically advanced engines, that has ever come out of GM, high strung... plus, this car is near 50/50 right now - why screw that up?

i guess it all depends what you want the car for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well if/when the Stingray is built I would assume there is only going to be one engine choice, and they can fit V8's in.... But the Stingray would need a stable mate unless Zeta cars really fill a HUGE void in the factory and doing one kappa car is possible...

·
Registered
104 Posts
SkyRaider said:
Has anyone considered how much a 6-cylinder Sky would cost? I'm talking about just the base price. Personally I think I'd just save up and graduate to a Jag or Mercedes convertible. I like the Sky, and for it's price range it's a very neat, affordable car. But let's be for real. For the amount of money you'd end up paying for a 6-cylinder Sky (with all your optional bling), you might as well go European. It would be a more practical "investment". The Europeans still win hands down for having the coolest sportscars. And the Sky certainly can't compete with their re-sale value................:cool:
EH WHATS UP NOMESKULL? The europeans you refer to start at $81,000 to over, well over $100,000. A V6 SATURN SKY could't even reach $35,000 unless you gold plated it. Personally, I prefer a normally aspirated engine to turbo or supercharging, just one more very expensive component to go wrong, not to to mention the damage that all that extra pressure can cause, especially to the lower end, [main and rod bearings] The 3.6 litre, twin cam
V6 from the Cadillac STS, due for the SATURN AURA is a sweet, highly refind engine that might due nicely.As for resale, don't be silly.

As for "Coolest" , certainly what is cool is in the eye of the beholder. my personal choice for one of the worlds great sports cars is the '46 thru '49 MG TC midget. I,d wager we don.t like the same music either.

Ever here of the Red Priest? tURN UP THE HEATER kATO, IT'S CHILLY HERE IN ALASKA:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts