Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I'm very close to a deal with Mallett Cars to showcase a V8 Mallett Sky here in Durham, NC. The arrangement would be to have the car available for customers to look over and test drive at my dealership. We will provide a full inspection of the car, including a lift to check out the underside for those interested.

Now I just need to get an order date for a Sky and I'm all set.

Before a massive line starts to form, only customers who are serious about buying will be given the opportunity to test drive. A nice legal waiver must be signed, a deposit check of $10,000 refundable, and a $100 driver's fee that will be refunded on a successful order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hope is having the car parked out in front near the highway will attract customers to come in and see it. I know only a very select few will ever order the options, but at least it will bring the people to my showroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
How much?

Any idea of pricing on the Mallett Sky? Total price including car....Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
JeffInDFW said:
Any idea of pricing on the Mallett Sky? Total price including car....Thanks.
Cost of car +18000 for base Mallett upgrade or +20,000 for "preferred" package.

That means between $40,000 - $45,000 for the whole deal, depending on the price of the car. And assuming the pricing is the same for the Sky swap as the Solstice swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Ford has the V6 Mustang for around $20,000
GM has the base Sky/Sol for around $20,000 (add $5k for Sky)

Ford has the V8 Mustang for around $25,000
GM has the turbo Sky/Sol for around $25,000 (add $5k for Sky)

Ford will offer the GT500 Mustang for $40,000
Mallett will offer the V8 Sky/Sol for $40,000

Yes, I know you can pick these numbers apart, but you guys know where I'm going with this, it is very very close to what I wrote. SO, if Ford can do it in house, why doesn't GM as well? They would absolutely sell, and Mallett has shown it can be done. GM could do it for less money as well.....So, Why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Sign me up! I'm a 60 year old who has been waiting 35 years for my next Sunbeam -Tiger. I'm really hoping to buy a Mallett Sky but am too old to drive a car that won't "fit". I've sat in a Soltice so I'm fairly confident about the driving position etc. I've called Chuck Mallett and already have my order for the upgrade in but would be happy to deal with you.

Johnh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
JeffInDFW said:
Ford has the V6 Mustang for around $20,000
GM has the base Sky/Sol for around $20,000 (add $5k for Sky)

Ford has the V8 Mustang for around $25,000
GM has the turbo Sky/Sol for around $25,000 (add $5k for Sky)

Ford will offer the GT500 Mustang for $40,000
Mallett will offer the V8 Sky/Sol for $40,000

Yes, I know you can pick these numbers apart, but you guys know where I'm going with this, it is very very close to what I wrote. SO, if Ford can do it in house, why doesn't GM as well? They would absolutely sell, and Mallett has shown it can be done. GM could do it for less money as well.....So, Why not?

I agree with you in principle, but knowing the SVT community and greed of Ford dealers, it will be next to impossible for someone other than a GOOD friend of a dealer to get a Shelby GT500 for 40K. You'll probably spend less with Mallet, and have a more unique car to boot.

Mallet doesn't invest the millions GM would in durability certification that would be needed for a V8 drive train in the Solstice/Sky/Whatever Chevy is gonna call it. The business plan is to put out a fun, great looking car in the 20K range, the V8 option would definitely push the car into the 30's. It remains to be seen if the supecharged or turbocharged versions will sell well.

Consider, they are selling all they can make of the Solstice and looks like the Sky as well. What incentive is there to spend the huge amount it would take to offer V8 power train? Bolt on SC or turbos are a bargain (to GM) in comparison
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Delnari said:
My hope is having the car parked out in front near the highway will attract customers to come in and see it.
I hope you realize that your strategy for drawing customers in will also draw in car thiefs. Out in front is easy access and near a highway is easy get away! If they can get it on a boat by dawn your S.O.L. I know how it sounds me bringing that up and all but I have serious concerns about very nice cars and yours obviously qualifies! I hope you do well in business, I cant wait to see one of these beasts in person!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chewievette said:
I hope you realize that your strategy for drawing customers in will also draw in car thiefs. Out in front is easy access and near a highway is easy get away! If they can get it on a boat by dawn your S.O.L. I know how it sounds me bringing that up and all but I have serious concerns about very nice cars and yours obviously qualifies! I hope you do well in business, I cant wait to see one of these beasts in person!
Yes, safety is always a concern for both my vehicles and me. The car will be disabled and secured. Personal protection is a concern in this business too. This is why most of us of have a legal concealed carry weapon with us. Its a shame I need to spend time every month at a shooting range practicing combat shooting tactics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I really wish it wasn't needed, one of those "perfect" societies we are always seeing in sci fi movies might be a nice change for once!

Any plans to put an LS7 in a Kappa?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chewievette said:
I really wish it wasn't needed, one of those "perfect" societies we are always seeing in sci fi movies might be a nice change for once!

Any plans to put an LS7 in a Kappa?

Not only is an LS7 going into one, but forced induction as well making it the highest HP in any kappa car to date. Should makes it's debut at the end of this month. Stay tuned!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Hollmeyj264 said:
Sign me up! I'm a 60 year old who has been waiting 35 years for my next Sunbeam -Tiger. . . . .
Johnh
I'm only 56, but I loved that car. Wish I still had it.

One thing the Sky/solstice won't have, that I really miss, is that Smith's gas guage - calibrated in gallons. I always thought that was so very cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Chewievette said:
I really wish it wasn't needed, one of those "perfect" societies we are always seeing in sci fi movies might be a nice change for once!

Any plans to put an LS7 in a Kappa?

I sure don't know where you'd put the dry sump lube tank and system. It takes some room. From what I've read and seen, there isn't even room to put a decent set of headers on the LS engine in there, so I can't see how you'd get that 2 gallon tank, the hoses and the second pump in there. I'm also fairly certain the LS7 would rip the dirvetrain apart. It will be challenged by the LS2 but I think it can take that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
It remains to be seen if the supecharged or turbocharged versions will sell well.
You're writing from the rest home, I assume? Get well soon and keep taking those medicines your psychiatrist is giving you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Which dealership? Are you really in Durham or in Chapel Hill? I'm in Cary, been thinking about a Sky but in no real hurry (i'd buy it to hot rod so I need to wait until there are lots of aftermarket goodies to pic from).

I actually saw a Sky (dark blue one) and talked with some "factory" folks when they had it a AutoPark Saturn in Cary early one Sunday morning about a month or six weeks ago, for picture taking. They unloaded it from a big 18 wheeler plastered with Sky pictures and had it out for about two hours snapping photos, even drove it around. I'm not sure they wanted anyone around, but I go cruising early Sundays and was in my vette, it usually breaks the ice, particularly with GM guys, as it did this time.

It is quite amazing to be me how styling can so change a car. I my mind the Solstice is just ugly, but the Sky looks very classy. This will probably get a bad reaction from some, but it has that same balanced, beauty, from restrained but tastfuldetail in styling that Olds's had back when their cars where just prettier than Buicks and all (in the 70s, when the Cutlass was the best selling car in the US).

I know your Mallet Sky will be a valuable car, but I hope you will take it over to Carolina Auto Masters and let Creech dyno it: I'd be interested to see what it can really do on a dyno that's gained a rep for really honest readings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Honestly, if you are going to go V8, get an LS7, slap a blower on it and call it a day.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
I can't wait to get my SKY... and then have it converted by Mallett. It will be GREAT!!!

Anyone else know they will go through with getting one???

For people wondering about prices, since SKY's come with A/C, you will start at $19,995 over cost of car.

As long as the prices stay the same as the Solstice, it will be as follows...
Preferred Package - $19,995 over cost of car.
Loaded Package - $29,660.76 over cost of car.
Performance Package - $34,910 over cost of car.
Supercharged Package - $45,995 over cost of car.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top