Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know this is going to sound a bit ridiculous....... but is there any way to get a vanity plate (here in NJ) before getting the actual car????? I know the state needs the VIN# so I'm guessing the answer if NO.:rolleyes:
Can you tell I'm getting anxioius????:willy:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Aren't there people on this forum who have plates before they got their car? Or are you all riding around in a '94 Civic hatchback with "A HOT SKY" till it arrives?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The rules vary from state to state... here in Cali, you must have a car to go with those plates. So yes, some of us are drving around with "HOTSKY" on a chevy s-10 and getting funny looks for it. :jester:

when you get your sky, just transfer the plate from the chevy to the sky.

I remember reading that in states where you need the VIN, some were getting the VIN from the dealer as the car was being built and ordering the plate at that time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks usmc....I believe you need the VIN# here in NJ and right not even God knows what that VIN# will be:lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sure!!

DARZSKY said:
Now I know this is going to sound a bit ridiculous....... but is there any way to get a vanity plate (here in NJ) before getting the actual car????? I know the state needs the VIN# so I'm guessing the answer if NO.:rolleyes:
Can you tell I'm getting anxioius????:willy:
Sure you can. I ordered my vanity plates a few days after my deposit went to the dealer. I had to keep extending the pick up date once they came in because they came in before my car. But DMV was really cool about waiting as long as I let them know I was still waiting for the car to come in. Go for it, order your plates before you lose what you want on it. Once you get the regular plates, you can go switch with DMV. Good luck!! :thumbs:
Theresa

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toliaz,
I'm going to make a call to NJDMV...thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
tolaiz said:
Sure you can. I ordered my vanity plates a few days after my deposit went to the dealer. I had to keep extending the pick up date once they came in because they came in before my car. But DMV was really cool about waiting as long as I let them know I was still waiting for the car to come in. Go for it, order your plates before you lose what you want on it. Once you get the regular plates, you can go switch with DMV. Good luck!! :thumbs:
Theresa

so they didn't need a car to register them to???

just goes to show you that DMV is still working very hard to keep up their fabulous reputation!

·
Registered
453 Posts
usmc said:
so they didn't need a car to register them to???

just goes to show you that DMV is still working very hard to keep up their fabulous reputation!
No, I just put in my order and then had to wait for the new plate to arrive. Then I took them down to DMV and exchanged for my personal plates (4 Terry 07)!! :D
Theresa

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well let's see a picture of those personalized plates:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Do what alot of us did... well i did anyway, ...... order the vanity plate for an already registered vehicle of yours... then when yours gets here... SWITCH... it worked for me.... :D SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check with your DMV office. In Texas you can get the plate first. You have to then get the regular plate information (VIN #, isurance info, etc.) transferred to new personalized plates.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Do what alot of us did... well i did anyway, ...... order the vanity plate for an already registered vehicle of yours... then when yours gets here... SWITCH... it worked for me.... :D SkyBaby-07
Thats exactly what I did, but make sure you tell your dealer you already have a plate when your car comes in and your doing the paperwork. When I informed him, he said "OH, ok" found out they had already ordered the plate and they had to cancel it. 6 weeks later, registration came in and plates went on new car....:thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
PMPN8EZ...............PIMP'N AINT EASY............Yeah Baby!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts