Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Yup, news leaked a few weeks ago. Deal officially announced Monday morning.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is Peugot capable of making a good-looking convertible that would be considered/sold/bought in N. Am? I remember seeing a couple of Peugot verts in Europe, and they weren't nice. Interested to see where this might go though.

Is this good news or bad news?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,562 Posts
Wonder if this means Peugot, Vauxhall, or Opel will consider coming back to N. America like Alfa and Fiat?
From a BBC article, "PSA has said many countries are reluctant to buy French cars and the Opel brand will help them expand into new markets."

So it is possible they will bring Opel back. Better, would be if they rebranded them as Saturn by buying the Saturn nameplate too. :) Would hope they also brought the Saturn corporate and retailer mentality back as well if that long shot happened.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think it's strange that GM decided to dump Opel now, when it seems as though with the right maneuvering they could have used Opel to launch an electric vehicle range in Europe. GM has probably has more invested and more experience in EV technology than any other automaker. Although the appetite for EV's here is still small, I would predict that they will start becoming much more popular in the coming years. I wouldn't be surprised, and would be in fact supportive of, a total ban on at least diesel-powered cars in city centers. When the legislation for this eventually comes, EV's can take their place.

As for PSA, their cars have been generally pretty dull in the past few years. The only decent thing they managed to produce was the RCZ, and even that wasn't all that great. I hope they don't ruin what image Opel has left.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Looks as Germitalian as it does French: hints of Audi TT and Kharmann-Ghia. I kind of like it. Thanks for the pic. I'll have to look into it more tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Renault has a very bad history in the US market. They brought a short range, cheap car and sold it to people who drive 12000 miles a year. They were run out of the market in short order.

Having said that though, Fiat had a similar experience back in the 60s and now look at them.

Anything is possible and I am all for more competition and diversity.

But . . for me . .. one of the reasons that I never considered a French car is because their idea of style is just butt ugly to me.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
You are right! It does look like a Kharmann-Ghia with Sky/ VauxhallLightning lights.
That's the first thought I had on seeing the picture: Kharmann-Ghia.

When I was young and away at school, my step-dad traded my beat up AH Sprite in on a new Kharmann-Ghia. I never forgave him for that.

:nonod:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Now I know where I have seen this car before. Just happened to be watching a movie this morning, and there it was, caught me off guard, but I knew I had seen it before. Audi TT or Karman Ghia-ish or the Peugeot, so I turn to the TV and there it was.

Movie: 3 Days to Kill 2014 Kevin Costner/ Amber Heard driving through traffic like a crazy woman...

Personally I am not a fan of it. Just odd looking to me. Everyone has their tastes to what looks good or not. GM is in to dropping things from their line up... Pontiac/Saturn, and now Opel, it's what they do.

LAC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bad, very bad.
I unfortunately have to spend a lot of time in France and the French economy is on its last legs. The French cars ie PSA Group and Renault are of very mediocre and strikes along with internal unrest, terrorist activity
and general French laziness mean that anything they lay their hands on is doomed to failure. I have always owned an Opel as well as my GT, but will no longer buy anything produced by them. I will buy German for every day use and Italian for fun.

I do own two American cars which I use regularly, both are Packards from the 1920's which I use regularly. It is a pity that quality no longer seems to be what it was in the early part of the 20th Century. I can only hope that Donald Trump will bring the USA back to what she once was. If not the USA will follow Europe into chaos and terrorism.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Bad, very bad.
I unfortunately have to spend a lot of time in France and the French economy is on its last legs. The French cars ie PSA Group and Renault are of very mediocre and strikes along with internal unrest, terrorist activity
and general French laziness mean that anything they lay their hands on is doomed to failure. I have always owned an Opel as well as my GT, but will no longer buy anything produced by them. I will buy German for every day use and Italian for fun.

I do own two American cars which I use regularly, both are Packards from the 1920's which I use regularly. It is a pity that quality no longer seems to be what it was in the early part of the 20th Century. I can only hope that Donald Trump will bring the USA back to what she once was. If not the USA will follow Europe into chaos and terrorism.
Unfortunately, that statement applies not only to cars, but everything. Small things that used to be repairable are now disposable.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I think it's strange that GM decided to dump Opel now, when it seems as though with the right maneuvering they could have used Opel to launch an electric vehicle range in Europe. GM has probably has more invested and more experience in EV technology than any other automaker. Although the appetite for EV's here is still small, I would predict that they will start becoming much more popular in the coming years. I wouldn't be surprised, and would be in fact supportive of, a total ban on at least diesel-powered cars in city centers. When the legislation for this eventually comes, EV's can take their place.
GM management has the eye on Profit. EV's don't make profit. Autonomous EV's sold to fleets might make profit.

I think Autonomous works better with EV's as its all then just basic electrical communication, throw a ICE in the mix and think maintenance and monitoring of issues gets more complex. Really more a gut feel than any knowledge and ICE's have so many sensors now maybe its not true. I don't know. But I think that. 3 days without power and my brain is exhausted. But I have learned alot about generators and interacting with house electrical, need to learn more.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Opel

Bad, very bad.
...general French laziness mean that anything they lay their hands on is doomed to failure. ...I can only hope that Donald Trump will bring the USA back to what she once was. If not the USA will follow Europe into chaos and terrorism.
Harsh. The USA will never be what it once was: it has never been what it was because it's always been moving forward. We realize we can make things better as we move forward. We realize things can be fixed because we've always been able to solve problems. We are great because we are dynamic. Folks that think stifling our dynamism by creating a false yearning for a time that wasn't truly as great for as many as it is now will find that we are going in the wrong direction. We'll be like that HS QB that's now just fat and useless, pining for his "glory days". That mindset of creating the "other" is what will drive us to being like Germany has been (minus the hyped cars), Italy at certain points, Spain at certain points, etc. The hegemony started dying in '65 (choose the century), but Mr. Trump isn't able/truly interested in hooking it up to life-support. Like P.E. said "Don't believe the hype". (IF I've gone too far, MODS please delete my post).

So then, it's a bad move for Opel to be owned by Group PSA.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I do own two American cars which I use regularly, both are Packards from the 1920's which I use regularly. It is a pity that quality no longer seems to be what it was in the early part of the 20th Century.
This seems a bizarre look through rose-tinted spectacles! Modern cars are FAR higher in quality and reliabilty than cars even 20 years ago, never mind 100 years. Cars today need just 2 oil changes in 20000 miles. Cars from the 20's/30's/40's were lucky to get to 20000 miles without a full engine rebuild (or at least a complete valve job).

The USA will never be what it once was: it has never been what it was
Yeah, exactly like the quality of older cars :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
GM management has the eye on Profit. EV's don't make profit. Autonomous EV's sold to fleets might make profit.
Perhaps in the short-term, but there is an increasing movement to ban diesel cars from entering European city centers full stop (Good. They do stink!) This wouldn't be unheard of--there is already an emissions control system in place that forbids taking a pre-2006 diesel into most German city centers, and forbids pre-1993 petrol cars.

The next time the belt tightens it might also significantly push for the adoption of EV's. By then battery technology will likely be developed enough that they'll be cost effective to make without subsidies, and combined with increasing emissions standards in Europe it will be a golden new market opportunity. It seems to me that GM could have leveraged all of the work they've done with EV's to capitalize on this opportunity, but at this point they've almost entirely exited the European market.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Perhaps in the short-term, but there is an increasing movement to ban diesel cars from entering European city centers full stop (Good. They do stink!) This wouldn't be unheard of--there is already an emissions control system in place that forbids taking a pre-2006 diesel into most German city centers, and forbids pre-1993 petrol cars.

The next time the belt tightens it might also significantly push for the adoption of EV's. By then battery technology will likely be developed enough that they'll be cost effective to make without subsidies, and combined with increasing emissions standards in Europe it will be a golden new market opportunity. It seems to me that GM could have leveraged all of the work they've done with EV's to capitalize on this opportunity, but at this point they've almost entirely exited the European market.

How long do you think this diesel to EV transformation will take? I'm guessing your talking 10yrs out. How long do you think it would take GM to expand the Chevy and Cadillac brands in Europe especially if the EV market evolves like you think, and GM keeps evolving the technology in the US market? It might be easier and more cost effective to get new dealerships and expand those brands then carry Opel and the dealership. I don't know what dealership networks or laws are like in Europe but in the US things are changing and from several angles your better off starting new then carrying what is in place (Tesla is rewriting the rules partly because they have no dealer network to deal with).

·
Registered
928 Posts
How long do you think this diesel to EV transformation will take? I'm guessing your talking 10yrs out. How long do you think it would take GM to expand the Chevy and Cadillac brands in Europe especially if the EV market evolves like you think, and GM keeps evolving the technology in the US market? It might be easier and more cost effective to get new dealerships and expand those brands then carry Opel and the dealership.
I don't think it will take 10 years for this change, I would wager in the next 3-5 years this will be implemented.

Chevrolet's brand is all but ruined in Europe, most people associate it with the absolute bottom-tier Korean garbage cars that GM sold here or with the big American V8 icons like the Camaro and Corvette--not a good starting point for practical transportation. Cadillac also holds no water from a marketing perspective. If there was a GM brand that could have led an electric transformation, it was Opel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts