Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I don't think it will take 10 years for this change, I would wager in the next 3-5 years this will be implemented.

Chevrolet's brand is all but ruined in Europe, most people associate it with the absolute bottom-tier Korean garbage cars that GM sold here or with the big American V8 icons like the Camaro and Corvette--not a good starting point for practical transportation. Cadillac also holds no water from a marketing perspective. If there was a GM brand that could have led an electric transformation, it was Opel.
3 - 5 years out and you think battery prices will drop significantly (like 30 - 50%)? The other thing a lot of folks don't understand is the time frame to design, a car. But its a pretty safe bet to say every OEM out there, has math designs already on vehicle in your 3 - 5 yr time span.

Just an example over 2 yrs ago, Organization's for the Blind started a push to require OEM's to have EV's make a sound when moving, there was lots of discussions, and in the US the bill just passed. It goes into effect for all EV's in 2020 depending on how the OEM's respond that might get pushed out further as thats a tight design window. And this is to add a speaker and some electronics that are about the size of a shoe box. To totally drop Diesel engines and replace with Electrics would take a lot longer.

The cool thing about the internet and making future predictions. In 3 - 5 yrs someone dig this up and see where we are. I will be amazed if there is a huge (over 30% market penetration of new cars) in Europe.

·
Registered
991 Posts
3 - 5 years out and you think battery prices will drop significantly (like 30 - 50%)? The other thing a lot of folks don't understand is the time frame to design, a car. But its a pretty safe bet to say every OEM out there, has math designs already on vehicle in your 3 - 5 yr time span.
Yes, I do. And I fully understand the development cycle for building cars, I have a number of friends that work in the auto industry. If you do an industry-wide assessment you can see that GM is postured for success in a marketplace shifting towards EV.

Just an example over 2 yrs ago, Organization's for the Blind started a push to require OEM's to have EV's make a sound when moving, there was lots of discussions, and in the US the bill just passed. It goes into effect for all EV's in 2020 depending on how the OEM's respond that might get pushed out further as thats a tight design window. And this is to add a speaker and some electronics that are about the size of a shoe box. To totally drop Diesel engines and replace with Electrics would take a lot longer.

The cool thing about the internet and making future predictions. In 3 - 5 yrs someone dig this up and see where we are. I will be amazed if there is a huge (over 30% market penetration of new cars) in Europe.
The work to ban them has already begun. By 2030 Germany intends to ban the sales of all new petrol and diesel cars, and although this hasn't yet been adopted by the EU, the wheels are in motion. Paris is often in the news for excessive smog, and has taken to banning cars with even or odd number plates to cut down on pollution during heavy pollution periods. Stuttgart intends to follow in the coming year. I predict that it will be well before 2030 that we see a complete ban on diesel in the city center.

The biggest challenge so far has been a lack of charging infrastructure and the high cost of electricity in Germany. But, I also think we're on the verge of overcoming these issues and when we do we will see rapid adoption. However, whatever the outcome, we can be sure that GM/Opel won't be part of that revolution.

·
Registered
750 Posts
wow i thought buicks and opels were sharing platforms?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hey for all you fellas with electronic readers, check out "DRIVERLESS CAR REVOLUTION, Buy Mobility, Not Metal" by Rutt Bridges. The book can be purchased in print, but an electronic copy is just $2. For $2, it wouldn't hurt to hear what 2020 expectations are.

After reading that book, it would sure be interesting to learn how some of you see things then. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hey for all you fellas with electronic readers, check out "DRIVERLESS CAR REVOLUTION, Buy Mobility, Not Metal" by Rutt Bridges. The book can be purchased in print, but an electronic copy is just $2. For $2, it wouldn't hurt to hear what 2020 expectations are.

After reading that book, it would sure be interesting to learn how some of you see things then. :cheers:
Not going to spend the time or 2 bucks. But what % of vehicles is he predicting will be driverless by then. My opinion of these types of things is they are oversold, which of course helps sell the book. But I can give you something to read, that's about all I can say. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2017/03/13/cruises-kyle-vogt-says-gm-will-deploy-automated-rideshare-cars-very-quickly/#314f21534caa

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not going to spend the time or 2 bucks. But what % of vehicles is he predicting will be driverless by then.
Dave, I don't recall a prediction was made on that. He does believe a test city will begin in the US in 2020.

Incidentally, I owe you a thanks for finding the retired GM engineer that first owned and drove my SKY for the first 8700 miles. He returned my call a couple of weeks ago. He had driven and owned all three of the Kappa models, SOLS, SKY, and SOLS COUPE.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts