Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process to install tomorrow the VDI lambo door kit.
I'm all excited to start and read about 10 time the instructions on how to do it.
Is there someone that already did it and can tell me if there is something that i have to look for besides all the instructions mentioned?

Here are 2 pictures of the job done ! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm in the process to install tomorrow the VDI lambo door kit.
I'm all excited to start and read about 10 time the instructions on how to do it.
Is there someone that already did it and can tell me if there is something that i have to look for besides all the instructions mentioned?
Good luck. Our cars (unlike many others) look great with the vertical doors, IMO. Saw some very nice examples at NASSM 2014. Would do it myself, but I'm trying to stay on the "stock side" of mods (i.e. nothing that can't be easily undone) :thumbs:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I also like the look, but I believe that there are a number of "permanent" mods that need to be done. The lesser are cutting of a fe brackets behind the fenders and a couple of notches in the hood for clearance. The cuts under the hood don't appeal to me. Not a small cheap part to replace. I haven't done it, so some that has can chime in.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
I did not cut the hood relief... IIRC that was a Solstice only thing... but I could be mistaken. That said, I didn't do it. :)

One thing to remember... TAPE the doors. We did the passenger side first and taped the doors... worked great. Forgot to tape the drivers door in time when we did it second... alignment is out of whack.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I have a hard time deciding if I like them or not. Neat look, when open, but just have concerns with the hydraulics of them. Never really played with them. Have seen some that want to come down very quickly, or do not want to stay up. That scares me, and I as understand it, it can happen quickly and with no warning.

I am hoping you get them on and love the look and operation of them. I almost bought a car that had them, but I doubt I would ever put them on my car. It is a no return mod for me, meaning holes cut, rails cut, can not be returned to original. I can not do that to one of these cars. I appreciate the beauty of the ones people do, but just the classic car guy in me that will not allow it.

Anxiously awaiting pictures!

·
7,078 Posts
It is a no return mod for me, meaning holes cut, rails cut, can not be returned to original. I can not do that to one of these cars. I appreciate the beauty of the ones people do, but just the classic car guy in me that will not allow it.
"No returning to Original"..
Where did you get that bogus misinform info?

All your cutting is the Side Fenders, can be replace, cutting the fender bracket, can be replace... Put away the OEM hinges for when ever you want to return to Original state...
I can return anything I want, I have new L/R fenders, new L/R brackets and also saved all door parts with the OEM hinges...
I guess we can say you can go back to OEM no matter what mod you do... :cheers:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I installed it on the driver's side with no modification of the hood. The other parts that needed cut aren't noticeable. For me, it was difficult to pull the door down from the driver's seat to close it and I knew my wife couldn't do it on her side. I took it off and went back to the original hinges. Yes it can be undone if you keep the parts you took off. The instructions included are lacking necessary details. The online video was very helpful.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Another problem I had with mine was it wouldn't open wide enough. I had to duck under the door to get in. When I first had it installed and didn't have the fender on, it was great. It would open wide and was very easy to get in. When I put the fender on, it greatly restricted the opening.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I went to look at a car that had them, it was on a sales lot near San Diego, the doors were open. the driver side had a rod holding it up, and they stated the parts were on order to replace the piston. I decided against the car, so never went back to see if they got it fixed or not. Had nothing to do with the doors.

Skimming over the instructions, it does show a lot of cutting in the door, on the the support rail, holes drilled through the door. Not something I would ever do.

Both Rob and Marvic seldom drive their cars, the door use is minimal it sounds like. Both are more show cars it sounds like to me. Not a knock by any means, but wonder how they hold up getting use on a regular basis. There is a thread about a guy on the forum whose door broke and almost hit his daughter. The car was not desgined for that operation, so for me it is just not a mod I would consider.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Skimming over the instructions, it does show a lot of cutting in the door, on the the support rail, holes drilled through the door. Not something I would ever do.

Both Rob and Marvic seldom drive their cars, the door use is minimal it sounds like. Both are more show cars it sounds like to me. Not a knock by any means, but wonder how they hold up getting use on a regular basis. There is a thread about a guy on the forum whose door broke and almost hit his daughter. The car was not desgined for that operation, so for me it is just not a mod I would consider.
There is no cutting or drilling in the door. The VDI kit uses all the stock mounting/screw locations. The only cutting on a Sky is the fender and fender bracket (Solstice also requires a hood cut)... and that is not noticeable to anyone but a Kappa owner.

I use mine all summer... and since I installed mine in 2007, did replace both sides. The driver side lost hydraulic pressure and wouldn't stay up... the passenger side snapped while opening it on a first date (I didn't get a second, lol). I do always open them for passengers and at the shop (I drive the car to the lifts, etc).

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are other brands that do require drilling in the door and some welding. Those are not able to return to factory. The VDI kit requires no modification to the door and can be easily returned to factory hinges.

·
7,078 Posts
You have the Lambo doors, Marvic? Have a picture of them "in action"?
Yes I do, VDI door hinges on since 2010 with no problem what so ever...
Pictures:
After relocating the computer and water bottle on the driver side. I taped up the door to the car body before removing the hinges...

Cut Fender Bracket:

Cut Backside of Fender:

Cut Top of Fender:

MARVIC 1 In Action:

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
My mistake, I watched the Solstice install, it showed the hood modification, I thought it was the door panel.

Rob, you had mentioned special insurance for a show car, so assumed it had low mileage due to that.

Like I said, no problem with them, I just would never do it for any reason.

I keep mine closed most of the time, seldom open the hood, unless people ask to see the engine compartment. I don't think I have ever shown the car with the trunk open.

Gorgeous car Marvic1

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I got the VDI hinges installed yesterday :). I'm very happy with the results except I wish i had the instruction for the saturn as opposed to solstice but when you understand what needs to be done, it is easy to do but time consuming. I also must have been lucky, i pre-adjusted and greased the hinges before the installation, taped the doors really well with reference marks and under door spacers and when i removed all the tape after hinges and shocks installation, i had about 1/8 inch to adjust up to latch perfectly!

I did the instalation all by myself in 6 hours and my girlfriend helped me keeping the doors up when putting the shocks on. I also replaced the original battery before putting the passerger hinge so i don't have to worry about undoing all this.
I will keep all the original hinges just in case but I daught I will be back to original.:D

I'm glad to read from some of you that the doors gets a bit easier to close with time because it is a bit of a concern to me now (mostly for my girlfriend) but she doesn't drive it much anyway...:lol:

I will post a few pictures (as soon as I wash my car and remember how to post pics again :lol:)

Take care

Here are a couple of pictures.:cheers:

Attachments

·
7,078 Posts
I got the VDI hinges installed yesterday :). I'm very happy with the results except I wish i had the instruction for the saturn as opposed to solstice but when you understand what needs to be done, it is easy to do but time consuming. I also must have been lucky, i pre-adjusted and greased the hinges before the installation, taped the doors really well with reference marks and under door spacers and when i removed all the tape after hinges and shocks installation, i had about 1/8 inch to adjust up to latch perfectly!

I did the instalation all by myself in 6 hours and my girlfriend helped me keeping the doors up when putting the shocks on. I also replaced the original battery before putting the passerger hinge so i don't have to worry about undoing all this.
I will keep all the original hinges just in case but I daught I will be back to original.:D

I'm glad to read from some of you that the doors gets a bit easier to close with time because it is a bit of a concern to me now (mostly for my girlfriend) but she doesn't drive it much anyway...:lol:

I will post a few pictures (as soon as I wash my car and remember how to post pics again :lol:)

Take care
Very good Gjem1, I also did the install on my own but one door per/day. (First day 5 hours drivers side, Second day 2 hours passenger side).... :cool:
Yes the VDI struts will get to be easier to operate once they get broken in...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Can't wait to see it, Gjem.

Edit: And now you have added pics. Nice job! Not sure I would want to go that route, but good to hear it isn't hard and is reversible if needed. The stock doors do swing out rather wide so it is something I keep in the back of my mind.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.