Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had the Vertical Doors Inc. kit installed today on the RL and have bumped into some problems. I would really appreciate any info that any forum members here could offer who have the kit. For starters, it was installed by a group that does a lot of these and this was not the first Sky.

There are some alignment issues with the front fender panels, hood, and doors that were not here before. Also, when you open the door, it swings out and up a little, then hangs up and pushes out a little farther before going up. It is very difficult to close sitting inside and you have to put a little pressure (either up or down depending) on the door to swing it shut as if it is not lining up quite right with the door latch in the frame. Is this normal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my vertical doors installed by my tally dealer a couple months ago. The shock in the door hinge will relax after a while. The panels do not line up like factory but I consider it a trade off. I won't win a show on fit and finish but the doors up are a show stopper. I close the passenger door for EVERYONE so they won't do damage. It looks a little strange with male passengers but I am getting past it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed vertical doors on every car i owned by myself, the best advice i can give you, is to tell you that no vertical door kit will line up 100% perfectly. the hinge is way to thick for the door to close and the panels to line up perfectly.

Usually what ends up happening is I remove the bolt from the lower fenders, drill a new hole / use a washer and then bolt it back in place so the lower portion lines up perfect with the door.

For the top of the fender, I adjust it out as far as it goes via bolts under the hood on top of the fender near the crease, and then put a rag under a screw driver leaned against the doors, and pry behind the top of the fender until the top is aligned as good as it's going to get with out bending the door.

As far as closing goes, all the kits i have used had an adjustment anal head screw which needs to be set EXACT. Use loc - tite on it, and it will stay in place once you have it to the point where you know when you are closing it, and holding it down - it lines up excellent with the lock and closes with out a bang, or screwing up the lock mechanism.

The gas shocks are tough as nails, I never wore a set in and its been years, I had to start working out (no joke) to be able to close one of my kits (dual shock, imagine that.)

Start closing the door before you enter the car if you simply can't do it from inside, it's embarassing showing off if you can't close the door on your own.. (but dont feel too bad none of my passengers can do it either usually..)

Anyway hope to help, sorry i had to be breif im in a rush today!

Good luck and enjoy your doors.

Reactions: furnakit

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm considering getting the Vertical doors as well. I found some bolt on 90* door hinges but they aren't specific to the Sky. http://www.wingdoors.com/products.html
Just wondering how close these compare & how dificult the install would be. Any insight would be good. Oh and if any of you could share some pictures of your doors I would be much obliged :yesnod:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input. I went back to the installers today and they adjusted the doors and I have to say that the alignment to the door, fenders, and hood is damn near perfect. They spent about 2 hours on it and rehung the driver door. Much better! We also got it moving up more smoothly. As for closing, I tried the trick of pulling it down while standing and bringing it down with me as I dropped into the car and it works much better. Also, I am embarrased to say this, but alot of the problems with opening and closing seem to have been user error. It is not quite as easy as you would expect because everyone you see using them is used to them already. I have it down fairly decently, but I open and close them slowly paying a lot of attention to make sure I do it right. If I get in a hurry I mess up.

I love the look and had never seen anyone post any comments here as to function so I was terrified I had made an expensive mistake. Now that it is all tweaked, they look really cool and are functioning well. You just have to be careful. The downside is that you will likely need to open and close the doors for a passenger, and start pulling the door down as you get in the car to make it easier. You will also need to show people how to use it to drop if off for service, valet, etc. Anytime someone is going to get in it without you standing right there you need to show them. I promise I am not trying to throw anyone off, but these are things that no one told me before I did it and I don't want you to feel misled or be worried when you bump into these issues like I did.

Not completely impractical, but not completely practical either if you get my drift. Very cool though and I am not disappointed now that have done it. It has taken about 3 days to get used to it and I am still careful. I am sure that in a week or two it will feel like old hat and be no problem at all.

One sugestion is that you have the hinges painted to match your body. We did that and it makes it look alot better. The kit is black and our car is silver. Looks much more factory if you color match. Tuner Racing was a great company to deal with. They did good work at a fair price. They were very patient and understanding when I came back and made it perfect for me. I would not hesitate to reccommend them and they have stood behind everyting 100%.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds interesting

Hmmm....

I think someone has finally pointed out a mod I might be willing to make. I'll probably stay stock though. I'm boring like that. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.