Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I got to witness first hand the amount of work that goes into installing Vertical Doors.

First Up, the SKy's have some advantages over the Solstice in regards to cutting/trimming.
On the SKy, the quarter panel is Fiberglass and not metal. Second, for some reason, the Sky's hood does not require any modification at all. The solstice requires that a square patch be cut out to clear the hinge when the hood is closed.
As such, there is no need to get touch up paint for the sky's body work, but you will need some black paint to paint the support for the quarter panel.

The install, even with some cutting, is not invasive at all. I can say that it is very tedious and takes a Looooooooooooooooooong time. 3-5 hrs is normal.
The time comes into play when the installer is lining up the door and checking for clearance. A lot of little tweaks need to be done so that everything works smoothly, does not have the door contact the hood and everything lines up. I was blown away with how exact and perfect [email protected] and Joe[DeepBlueGXP] were in their adjustments. This level of detail had my PinStripes EXACTLY aligned by the time the install was completed and they were not even using that as a gauge.

So Bottom line is this.
The Price of Install is worth every Penny!!!

Voila

Hey Elff, do you have any plans or idea's on how to hide the hardware you can now see when your door is up. You can see all the brackets by the front fenders.....looks a bit unfinished. It would be nice if someone designed a panel so you cannot look into the fender. It would look way more finished. :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I love the vert doors.... I was wondering... with my arthritis.. sometimes it is hard for me to just open the door... would this be harder than just opening the door as it is? SkyBaby

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Xskyted
I made a comment that ended up in that picture. I was poking fun at Jeff and told him those two could stand by my car and we could photoshop his license plate on the front. That was after Tammy cracked on his non vert doors so she is the trouble maker
:jester:

XMicro
No plans for that, but it's a good idea. I did look though, and the hinges and bolts look very clean so it's not an eye sore by any means.

Skybaby
Raising the door would not be an issue, there is a strut that does all the work.
Pulling it down requires a little effort. I would suggest that you try that out on someone's before you commit. If you aren't feeling strong on a particular day, it might be difficult.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Xskyted

XMicro
No plans for that, but it's a good idea. I did look though, and the hinges and bolts look very clean so it's not an eye sore by any means.
It is noticeable, but I know I am anal about that stuff. It has got to be pretty easy to design a cover for the fender, so you cannot see in. Maybe Norm of Norms Fiberglass can design something?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
You can definitely see it, but I don't think it takes away from anything.
One thing you could do is paint everything the same color as the body work.
That would help it at least blend.

If someone came out with a cover, I'd be willing to help test fit it.
With the door closed, I wonder how much clearance there is and room for something like that.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Xskyted
I made a comment that ended up in that picture. I was poking fun at Jeff and told him those two could stand by my car and we could photoshop his license plate on the front. That was after Tammy cracked on his non vert doors so she is the trouble maker

XMicro

Skybaby
Raising the door would not be an issue, there is a strut that does all the work.
Pulling it down requires a little effort. I would suggest that you try that out on someone's before you commit. If you aren't feeling strong on a particular day, it might be difficult.
Aubrey....believe what he says...looks great but sometimes you need some "omph" to pull them down!!!! With your RA you might have trouble.
K

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Aubrey....believe what he says...looks great but sometimes you need some "omph" to pull them down!!!! With your RA you might have trouble.
K
:cheers:

Yeah... I have had JRA my entire life.. diagnosed at 9 months..... I need to try them out.. I love how they look but dont want to be in any more pain than I am already in most of the time... THX Karen

·
Registered
37 Posts
Elff,
Dave is supposed to do my doors at his shop in S.C., soon. Can't wait! I thought Dave's quote for the install was super reasonable when he first told me; I had no idea at the time of all the work that goes into it as you so aptly described it. BTW, the white doors look GREAT! Smoky Mt Sky

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Xskyted

XMicro

Skybaby

Well... drive here for my BBQ and I will try your new vert doors out!!! LOL....SkyBaby

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Elff,
Dave is supposed to do my doors at his shop in S.C., soon. Can't wait! I thought Dave's quote for the install was super reasonable when he first told me; I had no idea at the time of all the work that goes into it as you so aptly described it. BTW, the white doors look GREAT! Smoky Mt Sky
Trust me, after seeing what it takes, it's worth every penny.
Combine that with Dave's attention to detail and you are guaranteed a perfect fit.

SkyBaby
Is your BBQ the 18th or the 11th?
The original date wasn't possible, but I might be able to pull off the 18th.
I had so much fun this past Kappa Gathering that I would love to meet some other owners from a different location.
Would it be in Illinois or Fl??

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Trust me, after seeing what it takes, it's worth every penny.
Combine that with Dave's attention to detail and you are guaranteed a perfect fit.

SkyBaby
Is your BBQ the 18th or the 11th?
The original date wasn't possible, but I might be able to pull off the 18th.
I had so much fun this past Kappa Gathering that I would love to meet some other owners from a different location.
Would it be in Illinois or Fl??
It is the 18th.... here in Byron, Illinois.... You can do it!!! LOL... SkyBaby

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I've already driven cross country
Philadelphia to San Mateo California in 2.5 days.

I think I can do that.
It would be awesome to have DDM there as well.
Dave, Randy Ivy and Jake are a blast to hang out with. {FYI-Jake is the dog}

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
LOL... Hint Hint DDM.... I do want you guys to show up too.... if you can make it... I am going to send you a PM.... Ok... see ya there Elff!! SkyBaby

21 - 34 of 34 Posts