Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went on a Sol cruise a couple months ago, over 20 Solstice's and 6 Sky's, and a Solstice owned by HIXCLAN had lambo doors. We fell in love with the look and decided to buy the Vertical Doors, Inc. hinges. I had the hinges installed locally at a prominant body shop, the same one that our Saturn Dealership uses (they do not have a body shop of their own, and sends all their body work to this place).

Even though the hinges are billed as "bolt-on", it takes a lot of work to install them. The hinges were originally designed for the Solstice and the instruction pictures all show a Solstice. But, the good news was that several of the "cutting" steps were not necessary installing the hinges on a Sky. So the actual install used fewer steps and a lot less cutting on the Sky compared to the Solstice. The install took about nine hours labor and they allowed me to be with the technician to approve every step of the way.

I realize the lambo doors aren't for everybody, but they are really a "show stopper" when going to local restaurants and stores. The Sky, by itself, makes everyone stare and ask questions, but with these doors, people gather around at every stop.

I've attached several pictures of the finished product.

Am I going through my second childhood or what !!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vertical Doors on Sky

Somewhere along the line, the attached pictures didn't attach. I'll try it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
What cutting was necessary? I was under the impression from the way Jim @ Gravana was talking about these that they would be relatively simple to install at home, rather than requiring a body shop to do it. With the $1600-$2000 tag on the kit alone, 9 hours in a body shop would be another $500-$700! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What cutting was necessary? I was under the impression from the way Jim @ Gravana was talking about these that they would be relatively simple to install at home, rather than requiring a body shop to do it. With the $1600-$2000 tag on the kit alone, 9 hours in a body shop would be another $500-$700! :eek: :eek:
Aaron....the ECM and the windshield washer bottle must be relocated (not a huge deal) and the cutting is actually the quarter panel just in front of each door (the one with the little "GM" badge on it. The panel comes off and a portion of the rear inside edge of this panel must be cut (not visible when panel is put back on). The only other cutting is the black triangular inside brace that this panel attaches to.

The body shop that did the install did an Excellent job doing the cuts. It looks like they were made that way.

Larry

·
Registered
225 Posts
These are good pictures. All of the previous ones I had seen did not show much room for the occupants to enter through.

Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are good pictures. All of the previous ones I had seen did not show much room for the occupants to enter through.

Thanks.
There is plenty of room to get in the car. You just have to get in differently.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Interesting. Nice pics. How do they open and close? Do you push out like a regular door and it goes up on it's own, or do you have to push and and pull down to close?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Interesting. Nice pics. How do they open and close? Do you push out like a regular door and it goes up on it's own, or do you have to push and and pull down to close?
They open outward like the regular doors about 15 inches or so, then you give the door a gentle lift from the door handle or by placing ONE finger under the door. It goes up with ease. To get in the car, open outward to the stop, lift up gently, get in, reach up and grab the arm rest with your fingers and pull it down. My wife has no problem in getting in or out. The charged struts that assist in the raising of the door are 550 pound struts. Actually the outward latteral distance is adjustable, such that, if you want, you can get in and out of the car without raising the doors. A little tight, but it works.

Larry

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am interested in this product for my SKY as well. I would like to know if during your research, if you found any companies that provided power doors? Also is this something I can do with a couple of buddies on a weekend or do I have to travel to a PRO Shop? :cool:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Aaron....the ECM and the windshield washer bottle must be relocated (not a huge deal) and the cutting is actually the quarter panel just in front of each door (the one with the little "GM" badge on it. The panel comes off and a portion of the rear inside edge of this panel must be cut (not visible when panel is put back on). The only other cutting is the black triangular inside brace that this panel attaches to.

The body shop that did the install did an Excellent job doing the cuts. It looks like they were made that way.

Larry
Hmm...that's very interesting. Especially since Gravana's site says that the kit has "complete reversible installation". In my book, cutting anything doesn't mean completely reversible.

How/where did you move the ECM and washer fluid container?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the cuts that had to be made to install them? Or of the new placement of the ECM/washer fluid container as you mentioned in the other thread?

BTW, speaking of other threads, it is possible to post pictures in any post, regardless of where it is in the thread, so you could've just put these pictures in your other thread. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My dealer did this to their demo - red r/l- sat in it couldn't pull the door down; they don't do anything for me, but i've been accused on more than one occasion of having NO taste :lol:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hmm...that's very interesting. Especially since Gravana's site says that the kit has "complete reversible installation". In my book, cutting anything doesn't mean completely reversible.

How/where did you move the ECM and washer fluid container?
Aaron....What they told you is true. If, after installing the vertical doors, you decide you don't like them, you can take off the VD hinges and re-install the original equipment hinges and you will be back where you started. However, you can't reverse the inside cutting. Honestly, with the hood up, you do not notice the cutting. The black brace is completely hidden and all you can see is a 4 inch long and one inch wide cut in the side panel. No one could tell it wasn't there when they built the car.

The instructions say to move the ECM and water bottle in toward the center of the car. We found that all you have to do is lower the plastic piece holding the ECM and water bottle about 3/4 of an inch and everything works perfectly fine.

You're right.....it is not COMPLETELY reversible, but very close to it.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am interested in this product for my SKY as well. I would like to know if during your research, if you found any companies that provided power doors? Also is this something I can do with a couple of buddies on a weekend or do I have to travel to a PRO Shop? :cool:
IslandHopper.....Vertical Doors, Inc. (or Gravana) also sells (I think around $700.00) a kit that will allow you to open and close the doors electronically. It was too easy to do manually for me to spend the extra money.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Close-up shots of hinges and moving points please.
Dj.......I know this will sound fishey, but I took about twenty pictures of the dissasembled side panels while the work was being done. I uploaded them to my computer...................and now can't find them. When I do I'll post them.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts