Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went on a Sol cruise a couple months ago, over 20 Solstice's and 6 Sky's, and a Solstice owned by HIXCLAN had lambo doors. We fell in love with the look and decided to buy the Vertical Doors, Inc. hinges. I had the hinges installed locally at a prominant body shop, the same one that our Saturn Dealership uses (they do not have a body shop of their own, and sends all their body work to this place).

Even though the hinges are billed as "bolt-on", it takes a lot of work to install them. The hinges were originally designed for the Solstice and the instruction pictures all show a Solstice. But, the good news was that several of the "cutting" steps were not necessary installing the hinges on a Sky. So the actual install used fewer steps and a lot less cutting on the Sky compared to the Solstice. The install took about nine hours labor and they allowed me to be with the technician to approve every step of the way.

I realize the lambo doors aren't for everybody, but they are really a "show stopper" when going to local restaurants and stores. The Sky, by itself, makes everyone stare and ask questions, but with these doors, people gather around at every stop.

I've attached several pictures of the finished product.

Am I going through my second childhood or what !!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vertical Doors on Sky

Somewhere along the line, the attached pictures didn't attach. I'll try it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What cutting was necessary? I was under the impression from the way Jim @ Gravana was talking about these that they would be relatively simple to install at home, rather than requiring a body shop to do it. With the $1600-$2000 tag on the kit alone, 9 hours in a body shop would be another $500-$700! :eek: :eek:
Aaron....the ECM and the windshield washer bottle must be relocated (not a huge deal) and the cutting is actually the quarter panel just in front of each door (the one with the little "GM" badge on it. The panel comes off and a portion of the rear inside edge of this panel must be cut (not visible when panel is put back on). The only other cutting is the black triangular inside brace that this panel attaches to.

The body shop that did the install did an Excellent job doing the cuts. It looks like they were made that way.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are good pictures. All of the previous ones I had seen did not show much room for the occupants to enter through.

Thanks.
There is plenty of room to get in the car. You just have to get in differently.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Interesting. Nice pics. How do they open and close? Do you push out like a regular door and it goes up on it's own, or do you have to push and and pull down to close?
They open outward like the regular doors about 15 inches or so, then you give the door a gentle lift from the door handle or by placing ONE finger under the door. It goes up with ease. To get in the car, open outward to the stop, lift up gently, get in, reach up and grab the arm rest with your fingers and pull it down. My wife has no problem in getting in or out. The charged struts that assist in the raising of the door are 550 pound struts. Actually the outward latteral distance is adjustable, such that, if you want, you can get in and out of the car without raising the doors. A little tight, but it works.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hmm...that's very interesting. Especially since Gravana's site says that the kit has "complete reversible installation". In my book, cutting anything doesn't mean completely reversible.

How/where did you move the ECM and washer fluid container?
Aaron....What they told you is true. If, after installing the vertical doors, you decide you don't like them, you can take off the VD hinges and re-install the original equipment hinges and you will be back where you started. However, you can't reverse the inside cutting. Honestly, with the hood up, you do not notice the cutting. The black brace is completely hidden and all you can see is a 4 inch long and one inch wide cut in the side panel. No one could tell it wasn't there when they built the car.

The instructions say to move the ECM and water bottle in toward the center of the car. We found that all you have to do is lower the plastic piece holding the ECM and water bottle about 3/4 of an inch and everything works perfectly fine.

You're right.....it is not COMPLETELY reversible, but very close to it.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am interested in this product for my SKY as well. I would like to know if during your research, if you found any companies that provided power doors? Also is this something I can do with a couple of buddies on a weekend or do I have to travel to a PRO Shop? :cool:
IslandHopper.....Vertical Doors, Inc. (or Gravana) also sells (I think around $700.00) a kit that will allow you to open and close the doors electronically. It was too easy to do manually for me to spend the extra money.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Close-up shots of hinges and moving points please.
Dj.......I know this will sound fishey, but I took about twenty pictures of the dissasembled side panels while the work was being done. I uploaded them to my computer...................and now can't find them. When I do I'll post them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Wow, who did that conversion? How does it work with the top up and what did it cost?
jarcher..The conversion was done in Melbourne Florida by Mike's Body Shop. They do all the body work for our local Saturn dealer.

The doors work perfectly normal with the top up. The doors open OUTWARD (horizontely)(can't spell either) about 15 inches, then upward. So the top does not come in to play whether it's up or down. The cost to install and adjust was $400.00.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Brought the posts from the vertical doors pics thread here for one thread on vertical doors. Looks pretty cool. :thumbs:
Thanks cerberus for joining the two together.

If you remember, I'm the one that couldn't post on both forums. You, Kappaman, and several others tried to help but nothing worked. I'm now on both forums without any problem. The "re-direct" screen wasn't working properly and now it's OK.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have personally installed about 60 kits on various cars
through the years. The cutting is done on the inside of the fender to allow the hinge to go through. Its no big deal. Some people roll(bend) the fenders in. Larry, was your
electrical harness extended? When I do my sol, I'm going to have a camera rolling to make a video to help people out. Heres a upgrade that will allow your doors to open up even higher, assuming its a decah type. Usually vertical doors is. If you post some pics of your hinge, I'll let you know. Click on the link.
http://www.autofashion.co.uk/decah_upgrade.htm
madmods.....NO !! My electrical harness did not require extensions. The harness is simply rerouted and is plenty long for this application. I elected not to "roll bend" the inside of the fender, but to cut it. It is plastic and by using a good band saw, the cut looks like it came from the factory that way. The doors open high enough the way they are, any higher and they would be hard to reach when you have entered the car and want to close the door. The struts are 550 pounds each.

HIXCLAN of the Solstice Forum, has the same installation.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
larry...i saw on the solstice forum that you bought the kit for only $1400...thats an amazing price...can i know where you got it from?? thanks!

the lowest price I've seen so far is $1700...
I bought mine from Tuner Racing out of Houston, Texas. They start out asking a lot more. You just need to talk them down in their price. I remember seeing a post where a connection from Vertical Doors was selling the hinges for $800.00. Hard to believe, but if true, is a GREAT price.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Now that you've had the lambo doors for almost a month, have you had any alignment issues? I've heard many people say the struts tend to wear out quickly on lambo doors, and eventually the doors will start mis-aligning and not closing properly. Have you had any "mis-fires" when closing the doors?

I love the look, but decided not to do them due to quality issues with other cars' kits. Let me know your thoughts:cool:
Actually, I've had the doors for 2 1/2 months and love them. They are a "show stopper".

Alignment wise, the hinge bolts were put on using "red" loctite and have stayed right where they were installed. If, by chance, they become out of alignment, there is an easilly adjustable hex bolt that allows you to align the doors again in less than 5 minutes. So far I haven't had to do any adjustments.

The struts are 550 pounds each so you can raise the doors with one finger. I haven't heard of the struts wearing out quickly, actually, I think they should use 475 pound or even 500 pound struts so the "pulling down" of the doors would be easier. I can pull down the drivers side with no problem, but my wife sometimes struggles a bit to get the passenger side down easily. She doesn't have the same arm strength, so she pulls the door partially down as she gets in, then the rest of the way after she is seated. Actually, sometimes she gets in without raising the door. Just opens it and gets in like a stock door. It doesn't open quite as far as stock, but far enough to scoot by it and get in.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
There is a Saturn SKY Vertical Door / Lambo Door installation article on Pimp My Sky. Also, there are two sets of photos:
- Yellow Sky: http://www.pimpmysky.com/photos/358.html
- Black Sky: http://www.pimpmysky.com/photos/379.html

The attached photos show a couple of cut points, in the fender, the fender bracket, and the hood.
Those are good pics rich....I agree with everything EXCEPT the photo of the tech cutting a square out of the hood itself. IT IS NOT NECESSARY to make that cut. When the hinges are installed there is more than one quarter inch clearance between the hood and the hinge top with the hood closed. When mine were installed we looked at that cut and determined it was not necessary on the Sky, maybe it is necessary on the Solstice. That being omitted, everything looks great without a squate hole in both sides of the hood.

Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts