Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I assume the cut in the fender panel is at the 'back' of the panel where it would meet the door panel? So that the hinges can be attached to the frame?

Guess I'm just trying to figure out why it would take a body shop 9 hours to do this, and whether I want to try and tackle it myself.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wow, who did that conversion? How does it work with the top up and what did it cost?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dj.......I know this will sound fishey, but I took about twenty pictures of the dissasembled side panels while the work was being done. I uploaded them to my computer...................and now can't find them. When I do I'll post them.
Sounds Good!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Wow, who did that conversion? How does it work with the top up and what did it cost?
jarcher..The conversion was done in Melbourne Florida by Mike's Body Shop. They do all the body work for our local Saturn dealer.

The doors work perfectly normal with the top up. The doors open OUTWARD (horizontely)(can't spell either) about 15 inches, then upward. So the top does not come in to play whether it's up or down. The cost to install and adjust was $400.00.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Brought the posts from the vertical doors pics thread here for one thread on vertical doors. Looks pretty cool. :thumbs:
Thanks cerberus for joining the two together.

If you remember, I'm the one that couldn't post on both forums. You, Kappaman, and several others tried to help but nothing worked. I'm now on both forums without any problem. The "re-direct" screen wasn't working properly and now it's OK.

Larry

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have personally installed about 60 kits on various cars
through the years. The cutting is done on the inside of the fender to allow the hinge to go through. Its no big deal. Some people roll(bend) the fenders in. Larry, was your
electrical harness extended? When I do my sol, I'm going to have a camera rolling to make a video to help people out. Heres a upgrade that will allow your doors to open up even higher, assuming its a decah type. Usually vertical doors is. If you post some pics of your hinge, I'll let you know. Click on the link.
http://www.autofashion.co.uk/decah_upgrade.htm

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have personally installed about 60 kits on various cars
through the years. The cutting is done on the inside of the fender to allow the hinge to go through. Its no big deal. Some people roll(bend) the fenders in. Larry, was your
electrical harness extended? When I do my sol, I'm going to have a camera rolling to make a video to help people out. Heres a upgrade that will allow your doors to open up even higher, assuming its a decah type. Usually vertical doors is. If you post some pics of your hinge, I'll let you know. Click on the link.
http://www.autofashion.co.uk/decah_upgrade.htm
madmods.....NO !! My electrical harness did not require extensions. The harness is simply rerouted and is plenty long for this application. I elected not to "roll bend" the inside of the fender, but to cut it. It is plastic and by using a good band saw, the cut looks like it came from the factory that way. The doors open high enough the way they are, any higher and they would be hard to reach when you have entered the car and want to close the door. The struts are 550 pounds each.

HIXCLAN of the Solstice Forum, has the same installation.

Larry

·
Registered
194 Posts
dude, could you please do me a MAJOR favor?? is there any way at all that you could get a video of the doors opening/closing??

ive searched everywhere and posted in many different threads...i need your help man, please make the video and post! :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
dude, could you please do me a MAJOR favor?? is there any way at all that you could get a video of the doors opening/closing??

ive searched everywhere and posted in many different threads...i need your help man, please make the video and post! :)
I guess you didn't bother to search for "lambo doors video."

These are on a Corvette, but it shows the doors opening and closing:

Originally Posted by usmc
they are the doors that open up, into the air, like a lamborghini.

this link has a video of lambo doors-- http://www.lambodoors.biz/

In my opinion, it looks awesome on some cars and just lame on others.
its just a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess you didn't bother to search for "lambo doors video."

These are on a Corvette, but it shows the doors opening and closing:

Originally Posted by usmc
they are the doors that open up, into the air, like a lamborghini.

this link has a video of lambo doors-- http://www.lambodoors.biz/

In my opinion, it looks awesome on some cars and just lame on others.
its just a matter of personal taste.
thanks for the vid....ive seen plenty of videos....on the soltice, escalade, cobalt, civic, and countless others....i have yet to see a video of the Sky with lambo doors....if anyone has, PLEASE post!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I saw a video of this guy with a black sky showing off his vertical doors...I can't seem to find it now. Anyone remember that video? I am gonna go surf the web and look for it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Most people have found that the dealership will NOT install the hinges...you will have to go to a body shop to get it done.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I saw a video of this guy with a black sky showing off his vertical doors...I can't seem to find it now. Anyone remember that video? I am gonna go surf the web and look for it.
Pretty sure it was on that u-tube site.........Do a search in this forum and maybe it will pop up because I remember seeing it also from a link at one of these sky threads

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quality??

My wife and I went on a Sol cruise a couple months ago, over 20 Solstice's and 6 Sky's, and a Solstice owned by HIXCLAN had lambo doors. We fell in love with the look and decided to buy the Vertical Doors, Inc. hinges. I had the hinges installed locally at a prominant body shop, the same one that our Saturn Dealership uses (they do not have a body shop of their own, and sends all their body work to this place).

I've attached several pictures of the finished product.

Am I going through my second childhood or what !!!!
Now that you've had the lambo doors for almost a month, have you had any alignment issues? I've heard many people say the struts tend to wear out quickly on lambo doors, and eventually the doors will start mis-aligning and not closing properly. Have you had any "mis-fires" when closing the doors?

I love the look, but decided not to do them due to quality issues with other cars' kits. Let me know your thoughts:cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
larry...i saw on the solstice forum that you bought the kit for only $1400...thats an amazing price...can i know where you got it from?? thanks!

the lowest price I've seen so far is $1700...
I bought mine from Tuner Racing out of Houston, Texas. They start out asking a lot more. You just need to talk them down in their price. I remember seeing a post where a connection from Vertical Doors was selling the hinges for $800.00. Hard to believe, but if true, is a GREAT price.

Larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Now that you've had the lambo doors for almost a month, have you had any alignment issues? I've heard many people say the struts tend to wear out quickly on lambo doors, and eventually the doors will start mis-aligning and not closing properly. Have you had any "mis-fires" when closing the doors?

I love the look, but decided not to do them due to quality issues with other cars' kits. Let me know your thoughts:cool:
Actually, I've had the doors for 2 1/2 months and love them. They are a "show stopper".

Alignment wise, the hinge bolts were put on using "red" loctite and have stayed right where they were installed. If, by chance, they become out of alignment, there is an easilly adjustable hex bolt that allows you to align the doors again in less than 5 minutes. So far I haven't had to do any adjustments.

The struts are 550 pounds each so you can raise the doors with one finger. I haven't heard of the struts wearing out quickly, actually, I think they should use 475 pound or even 500 pound struts so the "pulling down" of the doors would be easier. I can pull down the drivers side with no problem, but my wife sometimes struggles a bit to get the passenger side down easily. She doesn't have the same arm strength, so she pulls the door partially down as she gets in, then the rest of the way after she is seated. Actually, sometimes she gets in without raising the door. Just opens it and gets in like a stock door. It doesn't open quite as far as stock, but far enough to scoot by it and get in.

Larry

Attachments

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.