Saturn Sky Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
ok guys...can we do each other a favor? if you know of any website that sells the vertical door kit for the sky, please post a link and the price their selling it for...

ill start..

gravanatuning.com - $1999.00

kappashere.com - $1699.00

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Not the Lambo Doors again!!!

Chip Foose were are you!! :banghead:

I do not get the whole lambo door thing. It is the same as putting a Rolls Royce Grill on a beetle. HELLLLLLOOOOOOOO:brentil:

It looks like your trying to make it look like a lambo and it is not. On a real Lambo (I know someone who had one) the door completely clears the opening BECAUSE The Body IS DESIGNED FOR THOSE DOORS!!

I cant wait to see the first person that puts one of those JC Whitney 3 level whale tails on the back, those cheesy spinner wheels, those really bad light up valve caps, or some under body neon.

The car is PERFECT WHY DO ANYTHING. If you want your car to be different than get a really cool custom paint job done by one of the California Pros.

OK, I am done ranting, enjoy your toy.:eek:

·
Registered
653 Posts
The car is PERFECT WHY DO ANYTHING. If you want your car to be different than get a really cool custom paint job done by one of the California Pros.
But see, your idea of something different is paint, others like the Lambo doors. Personally, I like our paint exactly the way it is, and I can't really see myself spending a couple grand for a new paint job, when the current paint looks beautiful as is. The only time I'll pay for a paint job is several years down the road, when the car really needs it.

Remember, to each their own. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
But see, your idea of something different is paint, others like the Lambo doors. Personally, I like our paint exactly the way it is, and I can't really see myself spending a couple grand for a new paint job, when the current paint looks beautiful as is. The only time I'll pay for a paint job is several years down the road, when the car really needs it.

Remember, to each their own. :thumbs:
I agree to each his own. But, bad design ideas are bad design ideas. On a lambo when the door is open you cannot see into the fender cavity. The front of the jams are sealed! If you can take your eyes off the doors for a minute and look at the car you will see how bad it looks. YOU CAN SEE ALL THE UNFINISHED PARTS RIGHT INTO THE FENDER CAVITY.

BAD DESIGN IS BAD DESIGN. At least when the pro's do things like lambo doors for shows they weld metal to seal off the entire jam, smooth it and paint so the doorway looks finished. If your going to do something do it right.

The paint was an example of something you can do that will not throw off the original design intent. Then get some cool new rims and lower the car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Eh....so you can see the hinges and mounting hardware. 99% of other people looking at the car are only going to see the doors too. I mean, I do agree that if it's going to be done, do it right, but for something that's available within the first year of the car being available, they're pretty nice. Who knows, maybe VDI or somebody else will come up with a better kit down the road.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
There is a Saturn SKY Vertical Door / Lambo Door installation article on Pimp My Sky. Also, there are two sets of photos:
- Yellow Sky: http://www.pimpmysky.com/photos/358.html
- Black Sky: http://www.pimpmysky.com/photos/379.html

The attached photos show a couple of cut points, in the fender, the fender bracket, and the hood.
Those are good pics rich....I agree with everything EXCEPT the photo of the tech cutting a square out of the hood itself. IT IS NOT NECESSARY to make that cut. When the hinges are installed there is more than one quarter inch clearance between the hood and the hinge top with the hood closed. When mine were installed we looked at that cut and determined it was not necessary on the Sky, maybe it is necessary on the Solstice. That being omitted, everything looks great without a squate hole in both sides of the hood.

Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aaron....the ECM and the windshield washer bottle must be relocated (not a huge deal) and the cutting is actually the quarter panel just in front of each door (the one with the little "GM" badge on it. The panel comes off and a portion of the rear inside edge of this panel must be cut (not visible when panel is put back on). The only other cutting is the black triangular inside brace that this panel attaches to.

The body shop that did the install did an Excellent job doing the cuts. It looks like they were made that way.

Larry
I have a problem hope someone can help me like some other people getting in and out I was kicking my speaker i absolutely love my car but needed an easier way to get in and out so I decided to use the vertical doors system got everything cut and bolted up works good BUT the wiring harness in between the hing and the Fender restriction the door from fully opening IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I SHOULD HAVE DONE WITH THIS HARNESS I don't see any other way it can go to make it work. signed FRUSTRATED

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.