Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed Vertical Doors on their SKY? :crazy:

If so, any issues/problems?

I am considering it on my car just looking for some feed-back on the issue.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Tamay

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well I certainly don't think they are "gay" but they aren't for everyone. jel is right though. There has been many threads on the subject you just need to search and find them.

Most people put them on for show purposes and the car is not their daily driver but having said that, there are some that have them and it is their daily driver.

I've gone back and forth wanting and not wanting them. I've finally decided not to get them because first, I would want someone experienced to put them on, preferably someone who had already installed them on a Sky and knew precisely how to do it. There is some cutting involved so I've heard and I wouldn't want someone to cut too much or the wrong thing and have it all screwed up. And second, my wife said no and that's a mod I can't hide from her. :eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry if i was rude before. Seriously though there is a major safety issue with them.. not so much with a convertible i would guess.. I know of someone who put vertical doors on their car and a few months later ended up rolling it. The car landed on its roof and caught fire. Needless to say they were trapped inside the car because they could not open the doors due to the ground being in the way...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry if i was rude before. Seriously though there is a major safety issue with them.. not so much with a convertible i would guess.. I know of someone who put vertical doors on their car and a few months later ended up rolling it. The car landed on its roof and caught fire. Needless to say they were trapped inside the car because they could not open the doors due to the ground being in the way...
:bs: :bs: :bs:

First off, you were rude, and second, if you knew what you were talking about that might help me overlook the rudeness. I may be a lot of things but I can assure you that should we have the opportunity to meet the last thing you would want to do is call me, or my RL "gay", grow up!

I have them installed and have enjoyed them for over a year. The doors open normally to about the first detent in the stock door, then they swing up, so even if the person you "know of" rolled a vehicle then they should've been able to get out, this is such an urban legend. Try to explain why they didn't just crawl out the window? Most cars that suffer such a violent crash result in doors that won't open.

To answer the original question, I have had no problems with them, they are solid, and make getting in & out in tight places like my garage much easier, the positive comments I get is never-ending. The biggest challenge is getting used to the change and valet parking. Riders at times do not let the door come all the way down before closing them and that can cause the strike plate to get dinged. They are very easy to open, I demonstrated this to my wife by having her open them with her little finger alone, and she was amazed.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts

First off, you were rude, and second, if you knew what you were talking about that might help me overlook the rudeness. I may be a lot of things but I can assure you that should we have the opportunity to meet the last thing you would want to do is call me, or my RL "gay", grow up!

I have them installed and have enjoyed them for over a year. The doors open normally to about the first detent in the stock door, then they swing up, so even if the person you "know of" rolled a vehicle then they should've been able to get out, this is such an urban legend. Try to explain why they didn't just crawl out the window? Most cars that suffer such a violent crash result in doors that won't open.

To answer the original question, I have had no problems with them, they are solid, and make getting in & out in tight places like my garage much easier, the positive comments I get is never-ending. The biggest challenge is getting used to the change and valet parking. Riders at times do not let the door come all the way down before closing them and that can cause the strike plate to get dinged. They are very easy to open, I demonstrated this to my wife by having her open them with her little finger alone, and she was amazed.

Here is one example but i do not have pictures of the incident i personally know of.

http://www.ultimatecarforum.com/lambo/10[1].jpg
http://www.ultimatecarforum.com/lambo/17[1].jpg

You don't want to see the graphic photos... tell me again its an "urban legend". The incident i know of was a lambo door kit on a civic. When the roof has caved in partially its kinda hard to fit out a window while upside down. Way to be an internet warrior and try to threaten me over a forum. Sorry i got your panties in a wad over your "sweet" lambo doors.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Has anyone installed Vertical Doors on their SKY? :crazy:

If so, any issues/problems?

I am considering it on my car just looking for some feed-back on the issue.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Tamay
Here are some helpful Vertical door threads for you:

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f62/vertical-doors-only-1199-a-22739/

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/vertical-doors-vs-lambo-doors-23916/

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/vertical-doors-installed-22563/

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/lambo-doors-19175/

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/verticals-16423/

Vertical doors are not for me, I personally think they look too pimpish on a car that they are not designed for, but to each his own.

As far as a safety issue, that is not true. since the hinges open OUT AND UP.
If you flip, you are in no worse shape, at least on the SKY kits.

But it does make it possible to dent the doors with the hood open. If the doors are up they CAN COLLIDE with the hood.....It has happened to 2 people on this forum already. There is also long term alignment issues, also being experienced by friends and other forum members!

Good Luck!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts

The doors on your car look great. I read a thread about the doors sagging or something like that. Have they stayed tight (no adjustment)?

As for the gay comment, this site if supposed to be a helpful place for users to chat about their cars and get help information!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
On my way back to New York, I swung-by to check out the Diabal 90* vertical doors. 'Diablo 90* vertical door (CHASER AERODYNAMICS, LLC | GT Factory Diablo door kit, C-Wings carbon fiber, GTP V*FRP body kits | 866-360-KITS) in Edgewood, MD. $700 for the kit... but they do NOT install them.

I had hoped to actually open and try one out ... Grrrrrr! :banghead:

They weigh 40 Lbs each ... so that is 80 pound of dead weight for both doors.
And they are welded on. They sell a bolt on style, but that costs more and weighs even more. They mentioned a local body shop that has installed a hundred of them I was told. But it is not a fast install and the shop charges about $1,500 to install them.
I was told if ten or more forum members wanted to place an order, the cost would be $650.

I decided the added weight alone turned me off. And I would rather spend $2,100 plus tax money on a tune for performance. But I do admire them and it seems crowds always form to admire them at shows.

·
Registered
148 Posts
phew.. lambo doors belong on... well... lambos

·
Registered
77 Posts
Comments like this "make this forum and all of the normal people on here look bad with your stupidity." :rolleyes:

And you are normal...I get it! :willy::lol::lol:
awwwwww someone is upset from another thread :lol:

and again as i said before sorry for coming off rude, for those offended let me rephrase my statement. In my opinion lambo door kits have been made unappealing due to their overuse on low level and usually highly "personally stylized" imports such as civics, integra, etc... usually those covered in bondo with over sized mufflers. On a sky it probably looks very clean but it isnt a lot of peoples cup of tea in the sports car world due to the previously mentioned imports. If it is your cup of tea and the doors do open as far as previously mentioned by another poster before going vertical then go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Diablo door hinges

Do any of our members have these hinges and did you weld them on or bolt them?

·
Registered
77 Posts
...I have had no problems with them, they are solid, and make getting in & out in tight places like my garage much easier, the positive comments I get is never-ending. The biggest challenge is getting used to the change and valet parking. Riders at times do not let the door come all the way down before closing them and that can cause the strike plate to get dinged. They are very easy to open, I demonstrated this to my wife by having her open them with her little finger alone, and she was amazed.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
awwwwww someone is upset from another thread :lol:

and again as i said before sorry for coming off rude, for those offended let me rephrase my statement. In my opinion lambo door kits have been made unappealing due to their overuse on low level and usually highly "personally stylized" imports such as civics, integra, etc... usually those covered in bondo with over sized mufflers. On a sky it probably looks very clean but it isnt a lot of peoples cup of tea in the sports car world due to the previously mentioned imports. If it is your cup of tea and the doors do open as far as previously mentioned by another poster before going vertical then go for it.
NO, I am not "upset":rolleyes:, there is nothing you can do or say to get me upset, don't flatter yourself. You need to practice what you preach, and mind your own business. Next time do not mention my name in a thread if you do not want a reaction, you were off base and out of line and you still are! Figures you own a Mustang, you have the attitude, are you sure you want a SKY, it may not suit you! :lol::lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Way to be an internet warrior and try to threaten me over a forum. Sorry i got your panties in a wad over your "sweet" lambo doors.

I have read your apologies in other posts and accept them. I was not making a threat, I have never had a need to do that. I meant that you would be able to discern from personal observation that they and myself are not "gay".

Part of what offended me most about your original post is that, in case noone noticed, the original questioner was using their FIRST(and only) post on this forum to gather information, and instead of being helpful you made the comment that you did. You are not alone, there are numerous folks here that have a habit, or impulse, to slam something or someone based on a modification that they may not personally choose. I find this very immature and I guess your comment and the circumstances I saw regarding the timing impelled me to respond.

That is all water under the bridge now, and we hopefully can move on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.