41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Reactions: OhMyBlueSky

·
Administrator
8,243 Posts
. Ridiculous shipping cost. A stamped envelope shouldn't cost that much. However, depending on the distance, driving to and from a dealership may cost as much or more with the current fuel prices.
I agree, but part of the shipping cost is paying someone to get the part, put it in the envelope, and proocess it for shipping, then paying someone to handle the billing and payment information.

On large stocking orders those costs are spread out as to be relatively insignificant, but that does not apply to small individual orders.

It is possible that the shipping costs may have been waived if the buyer was willing to wait for the next stock order to be placed and filled, and I have reduced shipping in this way on occasion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Five bucks at the dealership, not a penny more. You just have to wait 5 to 7 days for it to come in if they don't have it in stock (which most likely will be the case), but you've probably been without it since you've owned the car, so a week isn't going to hurt. You've probably bought stuff from China because of the price (like I have) and waited a month and half for it to arrive. If you don't want to wait you can check your local auto parts store the Dorman section might have something similar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sheesh...that is ridiculous. Go to a Junk/Salvage yard, find a GM car and open up it's fuel door, pull it's nubbin off. Show the counter guy what you're taking home and throw him a dollar bill and keep walking. Go home, spray a little Silicone Spray/Lube on it, and put it in where it belongs. Done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It might not even be the "nubbin" that is your issue. My 2008 was sticking out about 3/16" when we picked it up about 2 years ago. Apparently some of the Skys had this issue as I found a couple older threads for the fix. It involved pulling the trunk liner, opening up the hatch above the fuel tank, and loosening up the bolt on the hose that attaches to the fuel neck. I was able to slide my fuel neck in just enough to make up the slack and it solved the problem of the lid sticking out.
Thank you for that information. Strangley my collar is somewhat loose and I can shake it around some. I'll do what you've suggested. The previous owner was in his 60s and barley drove the thing so I wonder if the gas had gotten bad and the tank may have been removed or fuel pump replaced. I'll never know for sure just guessing.

·
Registered
Bright Yellow Sky
45 Posts
Alright so I got the little nubbin in and let me tell you it is itty-bitty. Anywho, my fuel door now sits flush and I no longer have to pry it open with my fingernail.
(No, shipping was not ridiculous. $3. Yes, my fuel door is dented..it was hit by a car door...)
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle door Wheel
Liquid Tableware Amber Orange Fluid

41 - 54 of 54 Posts