Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I was trying to search through the forum but couldnt find exactly the issue I seem to be having.

My Sky has about 7400 miles on it with a manual transmission.

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears dont seem to be causing a vibration; however, if for whatever reason I am in 5th gear at about 30 (usually a bit lower than where I normally shift ~ 40) I get a very large vibration from what seems to be coming from the rear left side of the car. And this only started around 6000 or so.

Its very sporadic and the Sky seems to be shifting fine (except sometimes it is difficult to shift into first) - anyone have a similiar rattle/vibration?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
What the heck are you doing driving in 5th gear at 30MPH??? This is your car's way of telling you DON'T DO THAT. Try 3rd.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What the heck are you doing driving in 5th gear at 30MPH??? This is your car's way of telling you DON'T DO THAT. Try 3rd.
That's really a good point..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yeah dont shift to that gear until you need it, thats nothing unusual, you can create the same effect if you attempt to come off the line in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some people don't realize that when we went beyond three gears we were usually gearing the upper gears as overdrive. I have a 6 speed Maxima and never get into 5th before 40 and 6th 50. Look at your tach, it tells the story. If you are below 1500 rpm, shift down.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good point.

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
The 2.4 is happiest above 2k RPM. 5th gear is for 60 MPH minimum, and only then if you are cruising. In my opinion, of course.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Us gals & guys with the automatics don't have that problem--:D No worries, put in D and go--:cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
Hmmm....kinda like training wheels on a bike ? :jester:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I don't know. I've never driven in 5th gear at 30 MPH. Try downshifting. I agree with JRinKY, the 2.4 seems to do better above 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else, you'll feel a whole lotta shakin' going on below 2K. Oh yeah, also no power at all.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on manual transmissions...simply because I have an automatic Sky...however I do ride a motorcycle, and if I rode in 5th gear at 30mph, I'd be lugging the engine BIG TIME! :eek: Lugging is not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
:agree: :agree:

Just a thought maybe its suppose to shake when you lug it at 30mph in 5th gear. :banghead:

TulsaSky
:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gee, when I read the post I thoiught Mike was talking 3000 rpm and abbreviated it to 30 but normally shifts at 4000 rpm which he abbreviated to 40? If you mean 30 mph in fifth gear thats way too slow for that gear and that's why you get the vibration or shudder. Not to mention the wear you are doing on the clutch.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
When I first started driving the SKY I too was using 5th too much. If I am on the highway at 45-50 I usually stay in 4th now -- If I know it will be a long stretch -- I may settle into 5th. But that last gear now is usually for 55 and higher.
Someone had said earlier that <3000 rpm is the magic number for gas mileage and I am happy with mine!

·
Registered
205 Posts
most of the time i am running at 1800-2200 in a gear and i shift out from 2500 to 3500 when dailey driveing but i will run the rl or 7000 rpm when shifting some times. but theis is not a stealth and has 300 hp and awd.

i have one queston and i havonmy dune this twice with is some how make the car urge back and forth front to rear realey bad like you are head banging. is this a awd olny thing and what caues this?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Pretty funny. But no fun to drive in just D :jester:
True, BUT, the advantage I have is that I can imitate a manual with noo problem, shift gears much quicker than a stick, and don't have to worry about "the clutch" or the extra peddle--:D :D Believe me, the automatic rocks!!:thumbs: :thumbs: :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
MidniteBlues : True, BUT, the advantage I have is that I can imitate a manual with noo problem, shift gears much quicker than a stick, and don't have to worry about "the clutch" or the extra peddle-- Believe me, the automatic rocks!!
How do you keep it from downshifting when you get hard on the power ? Every automatic I have ever driven, at some point would decide that it wanted to be in a lower gear right in the middle of a turn. Very unsettling, to say the least.

I have not driven a Sky with an auto, these questions are an attempt to gain understanding. Does the shifter allow selection of all 5 gears ? How solid is the lock-up in over-running situations ? My experience with autos has been that you can't select all gears, and that very little engine braking is available due to torque converter slip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts