Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way if you have a VIN number you can find out exactly what options a car was built with? I have the VIN, and needless to say, the sales guy is a flippin moron. I was hoping somewhere I could find out how to get the exact details. I'm going to possibly be picking up the car this weekend and it'd help if I knew FOR SURE what options are on it. (For example, the site said it had a spoiler, I asked the sales guy, he said no, tried to sell me one, then called today and said that it did have one).

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Is there any way if you have a VIN number you can find out exactly what options a car was built with? I have the VIN, and needless to say, the sales guy is a flippin moron. I was hoping somewhere I could find out how to get the exact details. I'm going to possibly be picking up the car this weekend and it'd help if I knew FOR SURE what options are on it. (For example, the site said it had a spoiler, I asked the sales guy, he said no, tried to sell me one, then called today and said that it did have one).
Body shops have access to that info... all quotes I get from one here, including the most recent for custom paint on my SKY, always list the options and standard items on the car.

So if you know someone at a body shop that uses computerised estimates... or maybe even just go to one for an estimate with the VIN number... may help you out. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Do you have an order number ? I can find out if you do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The vin won't tell you all options on a vehicle. It does have designators for things like # of cylinders, doors, etc. But not spoilers, leather seats, etc.

The best thing is to get the invoice from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see that it is an old discussion but i also have a question a VIN check. I did my potential vehicle check on a website for AU registered car, everything is simple and not expensive, I got all the information i needed, but when it comes to the accidents its written that they provide information about the "major accidents", does this mean that i still need to check car with the mechanic for some small damages? What can you consider as "major accident"? I was sure if you check the vehicle's service history you are able to see all the crashes even the little ones...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Be aware that accident is not same as damage.

Always have your car checked by a knowledgeable person. In rare cases that can be yourself.

When I damage my car, do not go through insurance and do not get it fixed at an official workshop it will probably never show up at a VIN check.

The VIN checks are very important and helpful, but remember . . . .

The VIN checks should never be the reason to buy a certain car. But it could very well be the reason not to buy a certain car.

Reactions: markss

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be aware that accident is not same as damage.

Always have your car checked by a knowledgeable person. In rare cases that can be yourself.

When I damage my car, do not go through insurance and do not get it fixed it at an official workshop it will probably never show up at a VIN check.

The VIN checks are very important and helpful, but remember . . . .

The VIN checks should never be the reason to buy a certain car. But it could very well the reason not to buy a certain car.
Thanks a lot! That's very helpful information

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My Sky had a clean Carfax history with regard to "accident history". But in reality, I did have some body damage. Fortunately some flaws can be over-looked, others are bolt-off/bolt-on parts that are easy for a shade tree mechanic to handle.

Here is my front fascia. Notice all the scrapes across the bottom from scraping over cement tire stops. It would look real bad but fortunately it blends in well with the dark blue color.

The right front fender I "functionally" repaired shown here.

Fortunately the damage is not seen on the car. Just today, my two new front fenders arrived.

Here is my radiator air duct located behind the front bumper skin, damaged from the same means as the front fascia scrapes. I await delivery on a new one late this week.

My Sky was completely missing this low-hanging front air scoop. This too arrived today. I can't mount it until the air duct gets here because they share the same mounting points.

So a Sky that looks great on internet pictures, can have some hidden surprises. In my case, it wasn't a huge disappointment in of itself. But added onto everything else imperfect, Money Pit lives up to it's name.

I saved a lot of money by avoiding alcohol, cigarettes, pot & drugs, over-eating, and the medical bills from them so I figure it's okay to spend it in this passion of mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts