Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am starting to see VINS over 7,000 on the forum. Does anyone think there will be a benefit of having a Sky with a VIN under 1,000...being one of the first 1,000 built. Relevance today, a year from now, 5 years from now, etc?? Any opinion? I realized the Sol's have a badge on their dash if they were 1 of the first 1,000 built. :confused:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm not sure about the first 1000. I think the total number built will have more to do with the value of these cars in the future. The fewer built, the more they will be worth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the individual who winds up with vin #1 will have something to brag about but I firmly believe that all of the cars that survive will be equal in value depending on options and design changes as time passes. The Redline...depending on how many of those they make might be interesting but thats a whole other topic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hope mr. lutz will keep production on this car low (around 10,000/year), that one of the reasons I love this car is the fact that the market isnt flooded with them therefore making them worth more, I think the lower the vin the more it will eventually be but then again it depends on if they up the production or not

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I agree with the relevence of number of cars built, may mean something... but, i am sure the number 1Vin..... went to the developer or someone who has had a stake in the development process... the head honcho... so to speak.... anyway, I can have some of the plates made... in fact i did have a few made and from what i hear, the ones i sent out havnt made it to the members yet... UGH... they are about 30$ each..... i will post a pic of one soon..... I sent one to triple black........ sky man07..... and had one made for agirltrucker...... i hate our small town postal service...... seems things get LOST when i mail from here... and not so much when i mail from rockford.... UGH.... so far, that is 60$ down the drain....... havnt sent girls yet....... maybe i should just take it to her........... SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
This says.... SKY MAN 07
FIRST 1000 SKY ROADSTER
.. then the vin number...... but he hasnt gotten it yet... UGH...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
223 Posts
Personally, I don't think it will make a difference. I know people want this car to be a classic, but my guess is it becomes as common as seeing a Miata or Mustang convertible on the road. My thinking is GM needs the money, and if they have a car that's going to sell and make them money, they'll go all out and produce as many as they can sell. My gut says they started production out slow because they weren't sure how well it would sell. Now they know, and I bet production ramps up....goes along with the other post about how 70% have already been produced and that more than 10,000 might be made this year at the rate they're going.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
We were told at the DOWNERS GROVE Sky Show.. that there will only be about... 10,000 made a year.... they want it to be that way. SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
I realized the Sol's have a badge on their dash if they were 1 of the first 1,000 built. :confused:
Hey Stu, was that a GM add-on? It looks like members over on the Sol forum made those badges themselves by the logo used on it? Any idea?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1994SC2 said:
Hey Stu, was that a GM add-on? It looks like members over on the Sol forum made those badges themselves by the logo used on it? Any idea?
I believe GM put that logo on the Sols at the factory. It looked pretty well done from the one I saw on Ebay many months ago.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think that the "suit-a-bility" (ok so its maybe not a real word but you know what I mean:D ) of the car will cause it to be a low production item. There are only so many folks that will purchase a car with the limitations we accept and enjoy in the SKY.
Simply, those of us who love this car do not mind space limitations. The Mustang is common because in a pinch you can fit 4, take all the crap you like for a trip, and you can convince your signifficant other that its ok to have a sports car that can go to the market. I've even seen them with kayaks on the roof! No can do in a SKY...:willy:
I love the fact that this car is just for two:cheers: , doesn't have a 3 body trunk and will NOT be going anywhere in inclement weather. Thats what we at our house have a pickup truck and a AWD Volvo wagon for.......

·
Registered
169 Posts
SkyBaby said:
I agree with the relevence of number of cars built, may mean something... but, i am sure the number 1Vin..... went to the developer or someone who has had a stake in the development process... the head honcho... so to speak.... anyway, I can have some of the plates made... in fact i did have a few made and from what i hear, the ones i sent out havnt made it to the members yet... UGH... they are about 30$ each..... i will post a pic of one soon..... I sent one to triple black........ sky man07..... and had one made for agirltrucker...... i hate our small town postal service...... seems things get LOST when i mail from here... and not so much when i mail from rockford.... UGH.... so far, that is 60$ down the drain....... havnt sent girls yet....... maybe i should just take it to her........... SkyBaby-07
I have not received mine yet but thank you

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SkyBaby said:
This says.... SKY MAN 07
FIRST 1000 SKY ROADSTER
.. then the vin number...... but he hasnt gotten it yet... UGH...SkyBaby-07
That is beautiful, now i wish it had come already.... it will look great on the piano black part of the dash....
thanks alot.... you are the best Sky baby!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Having one of the first 1000 may make her more valuable some where down the road but I didn't get her to make an investment more like an attachment. In the mean time if you got it you might as well flaunt it. Nice Badge Skybaby! :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
CUINOZ said:
I think that the "suit-a-bility" (ok so its maybe not a real word but you know what I mean:D ) of the car will cause it to be a low production item. There are only so many folks that will purchase a car with the limitations we accept and enjoy in the SKY.
Simply, those of us who love this car do not mind space limitations. The Mustang is common because in a pinch you can fit 4, take all the crap you like for a trip, and you can convince your signifficant other that its ok to have a sports car that can go to the market. I've even seen them with kayaks on the roof! No can do in a SKY...:willy:
I love the fact that this car is just for two:cheers: , doesn't have a 3 body trunk and will NOT be going anywhere in inclement weather. Thats what we at our house have a pickup truck and a AWD Volvo wagon for.......
Right on CUINOZ. There are just not that many people who can live with this car. If I could afford only one car (or two) I would not have a Sky. It just isn't practical. In fact, there are only a couple of things about the Sky that make it marketable. One is that people like me that are not car people look at the sky and its "I just have to have one of those because it's such a darn good looking car. And the other is after you get it. Its just plain damm FUN. Other than those things, I'd rather drive a truck.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
marklynn70 said:
Having one of the first 1000 may make her more valuable some where down the road but I didn't get her to make an investment more like an attachment. In the mean time if you got it you might as well flaunt it. Nice Badge Skybaby! :thumbs:
Oh okay, so THATS where that Kappa logo (outlines of the car from a profile view) came from initially, the First 1000 badge?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Oh okay, so THATS where that Kappa logo (outlines of the car from a profile view) came from initially, the First 1000 badge?
I put the design together and had the badge made here locally.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
marklynn70 said:
I put the design together and had the badge made here locally.
Now im confused... BUT ... you will have the answer!

In the first post of the thread it said the Sol's had first 1000 badges on them -- those were all aftermarket though correct? (As in GM didnt ship cars with a special 1000 distinction-- otherwise I'd feel left out by Saturn)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Now im confused... BUT ... you will have the answer!

In the first post of the thread it said the Sol's had first 1000 badges on them -- those were all aftermarket though correct? (As in GM didnt ship cars with a special 1000 distinction-- otherwise I'd feel left out by Saturn)
We were left out by Saturn or GM on this one. The first 1000 Sols were badged accordingly. I had a couple of them made up for Ernest's Serenity and my Little Missy as I didn't want them to feel left out.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sniffle...

Well maybe we should make something for everyone here with a 1000 and lower Vin. Stu, you up for it?

Mark, do you have a price range on what it would cost to order say 100 plates with a custom design?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts