Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Sky for a drive and I'm a bit worried with the crazy traffic here that I won't be able to see around the car very well. I will have to have the top up alot as I work nights and it's always foggy here in SF. So curious what you think since some of you are out there driving the Sky! Thanks
ps only other question is: WHAT COLOR!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will be very visable don't fret!:cheers: :cool:

Any roadster has issues with the top up, but you get used to the blind spots and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have noticed there is a pretty bad blind spot on the driver's side when I try to look back and change lanes. Could be one of those "getting to know your car" things and mirror adjustments. I had to sort of lean forward and look back before changing lanes and still wasn't 100% sure I was clear.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You will have to get used to using the mirrors. They have to be adjusted for you to "see" what is around you, not so you can watch your back bumper. I have been driving ours now for 3+ months and haven't had a problem. As far as the fog goes, the lights on the Sky work very well, especially with the fog lights on. I find that I can see much more in the fog with the Sky than I can with our Town & Country van.
Don't worry about the drive. The Sky is a car, just like any other. You just have to drive it and get used to the 'feeling' of the car- and the staring people around you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Once you get a feel for the car it will be better. I was used to looking over my shoulder and not necessarily in the side mirrors prior to making any moves in my previous car, but with the top up in my Sky I really have to use the mirrors. I make sure I take the time to adjust the mirrors before I start moving every time I drive. If you do a search on the forum, I know someone has posted their best way to adjust the mirrors on this site.

Don't worry - you will love the drive!:thumbs:

·
Registered
692 Posts
mirror set up

Gambok,
You get used to it. ADVICE: When you have the opportunity
1. Get the car on a side street with another car about six to ten car lengths behind you.
2 set your mirrors accordingly so you have the other car centered in your rearview
3. Set your R and L mirrors so you can see it but do not center it! Should be a little offset in both. Remember you don't want to see much at all of the side of your own car, maybe just a hint of quarter panel.
try that and see if it helps you.
just take it easy until you get accostumed to them and you'll be fine:thumbs:

by the way, We are out in Tracy and have established some contacts with other forum members interested in touring hte area check out the Pacific forum.

Imaged KGKH3X 23/06/06
Built 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
4200 Shipped 8/14/06
At the dealer 8/30/06
In My garage!! 8/31/06
VIN#8059
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake
Mud Guards

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
What top?

I have taken the dealer demo for a test drive and my drove my dad's Sky a couple times - but so far only with the top down - have not yet tried with the top up - but when I get my Sky it will be my daily driver (at least for most of the year) so I should at least try it top-up. I did drive a Fiero for a few years - and that car has a very large blind spot on each side - especially when backing out of a parking space for example - my advise in that case is to always back into a parking space or any other parking area where there are other obstructions to seeing the cross traffic. I generally back in anywhere I go (unless I need to fill the trunk with heavy stuff - which isn't likely to happen in the Sky) since you have better visibility in regards to oncomming traffic as you back in - then much easier to pull out and see better and react faster etc - altough - the front end in the Sky is pretty long....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

thank you all for the replies..I got used to my VR4 Spyder pretty quick, but wqas a bit worried about the Sky simply because here in the SF the top will be up most of the time! AND of course the bad drivers don't help!
Thank you Starlight Sky..I'll let you know when I get mine and that would be great to get together! Thanks again! Kevin

ps what color what color?????? suppose to go to the dealer on sun and tell him!!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
ps what color what color?????? suppose to go to the dealer on sun and tell him!!!
If it's wet and sloppy and icky and mucky all the time, get a Silver Pearl or Silver Graphite. Those look best with waterspots on them. You'll want to keep it clean, of course, but for those times when you can't you don't want it to look too hideous.

And, both of the silvers can get the Red Leather interior. That will snap some heads when you get the rare opportunity to put the top down...

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it's wet and sloppy and icky and mucky all the time, get a Silver Pearl or Silver Graphite. Those look best with waterspots on them. You'll want to keep it clean, of course, but for those times when you can't you don't want it to look too hideous.

And, both of the silvers can get the Red Leather interior. That will snap some heads when you get the rare opportunity to put the top down...
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
230 Posts
blind spots

turning your head and doing a visual recheck seems to be the best way, i dont trust using just the mirrors anymore.... too many close calls...

also, watch out driving the 101 thru marin, right after the gg bridge, the lanes are so narrow and winding, i have had a couple close calls there also...

but a great drive!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Color -- why Safety Yellow of course the safest car color sold...:cheers: :D :cheers: :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
1. Leave top down.
2. If 1. not an option adjust mirrors properly.

You will get use to driving it with the top up but I do recommend that you do not tint your windows or at least not to dark. Mine are tinted 5% and I it took some getting use to at night this way. I was already comfortable with her before I did this though. Take care and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There are no blind spots if you set your mirrors up. Really -- none.... Unless some one manages to go UNDER your car.
You have to set your mirrors to see what is on the side of you -- not behind. If you can see your car in the side view mirror -- you are not set up right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow thanks for the info! Ya Know I really should't sweat it as honestly, traffic is sooo bad I'm only going to be going about 10mph! But going home at 3am well that's another story!
Rick I was wondering if you by chance have any pictures of your Yellow Sky?
I've thought about that color yet I can't seem to find any "real" pictures of one! (The Saturn site's one looks kinda unreal)
thank you!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
EVERY vehicle I own, including a Triumph GT6 (lots of glass, it's a hatchback) and TR8 (droptop) has little, round, stick-on spot mirrors. Amazing difference. The only problem with them is that when I get in any other vehicle I feel like there is a visibility problem! The mirrors are sourced from Fiat. :cuss: You'll notice that the outer lower portion is rounded off - just the portion I like to have. Stylish maybe, usable it isn't. Rectangular may not be as visually pleasing on this car, but that shape is much more effective. But outward visiblilty is an issue with any modern convertible because they MUST have large a-pillars for safety. Couple that with the humps on the truck and our hard to get cars are hard to see out off !!!!!!!!:banghead: And that's with the top DOWN. I can't wait until I get mine, drive with the top up, and am first in line at a traffic light!!:eek: Now, THAT'S going to be a blind spot!!!

Oh well, such is life! I just want my Redline SOON!!:willy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
wow thanks for the info! Ya Know I really should't sweat it as honestly, traffic is sooo bad I'm only going to be going about 10mph! But going home at 3am well that's another story!
Rick I was wondering if you by chance have any pictures of your Yellow Sky?
I've thought about that color yet I can't seem to find any "real" pictures of one! (The Saturn site's one looks kinda unreal)
thank you!
I just downloaded some to my gallery (I don't see them in there yet...)
But if you go here:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5167&highlight=sunni1
Or look at these:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
OULALA..................i do like the yellow....reminds me of my 1975 corvette w/350 auto......awww those were the days.....:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts