Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never heard of this, but my boyfriend brought it up to me while we were washing his car tonight... is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you wax the Sky? He said something about if you get a paint job then you have to wait so many days/weeks/months (I'm not sure exactly) before you can wax the car. I just assumed that in the time it took for the car to be painted at the factory until it was delivered to me that it would be okay to wax, but maybe I'm wrong. Any opinions?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Waiting

sparkle4596 said:
I had never heard of this, but my boyfriend brought it up to me while we were washing his car tonight... is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you wax the Sky? He said something about if you get a paint job then you have to wait so many days/weeks/months (I'm not sure exactly) before you can wax the car. I just assumed that in the time it took for the car to be painted at the factory until it was delivered to me that it would be okay to wax, but maybe I'm wrong. Any opinions?
More waiting huh!!!

Really after my accident (Ouch!!! ...thread) the body shop said to wait a week or two for the paint to fully cure, after that it is OK.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Top of the line body shops do tell their customers to wait 2 - 4 weeks before waxing or placing a bra on their hoods after painting. The modern chemistry of paint creates "out gassing" of chemicals.
If you took delivery of your Sky though it shouldn't be an issue, the car had a long time to set up while in transit.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
StarlightSky said:
Top of the line body shops do tell their customers to wait 2 - 4 weeks before waxing or placing a bra on their hoods after painting. The modern chemistry of paint creates "out gassing" of chemicals.
If you took delivery of your Sky though it shouldn't be an issue, the car had a long time to set up while in transit.
:agree: From the time they were painted till the time they were in the drivway should be plenty of time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
deluke said:
This is only true if you had it painted at a auto body shop. The factory paint is baked and cured.

You can wax right away.
Deluxe is correct. The factory paint is cured at the factory. I have read GM's letter on this. Body shop paint needs time to cure. Wax away!

·
Registered
266 Posts
you might consider glazing opposed to waxing...what a difference! Also after my last trip the road and city grime required using clay...Now I am back to an impeccable mirror finish.

·
Registered
540 Posts
this is absolutely true after a fender bender and they do paint work at a body shop. Most shops only "sorta" bake it with spot lights (and some dont even do that) Factory paint is different though - sprayed and baked on in a different system. Supposedly it is hard cured from the get go - so you are ready to wax. So the boyfriend is a little right and a little wrong... but I remember from the pics you posted he is really cute - so its okay :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the help. :) Now I just need a car to wax and I will be all set! haha. And thanks Rhonda for the compliment :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
"clay" it first, when it's brand new. you'll be amazed at what comes off the paint. then wax it. i prefer "harly" wax. best product i've ever used. claying? just do a search.

·
Registered
205 Posts
has anyone invented a bug repelent you stick under the hood and the noise chases bugs away so don't hit grill or car... I hate stupid car bras.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts