Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2007 Base 2.4L Sky has the standard single exhaust tip as shown.

If I replace it with a stock dual exhaust from a Redline, will it be significantly louder? I want the look but am concerned the exhaust sound will increase. We simply joyride out on country roads so "louder" is not desired.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Lots of people have done this conversion and I have never seen one complain about added noise. But if its not to your liking, Solo sells a variety of mufflers that provide from little to a lot of happy sounds. Its easy to make it as quiet or loud as you want.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
It will be noticeably, but in my opinion not "significantly", louder. I have the RL exhaust on mine and like the sound.

If you just want the look, get Glenn to send you a tip cut from a take-off exhaust, make a bracket, and attach it to the end of your muffler.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
I have a R/L valance for sale....100 dollars plus shipping from zip 34135....Bonita Springs, Fl. Here is a tip, u do not need to change to a R/L muffler per say. All u do is purchase a muffler with dual outlets and have it welded on where your original muffler is...u can select which tips u want...and that is also welded on....that's it. That's what we did in the old days....and listen, many owners gave there R/L mufflers away, gratis. I am sure someone has one to give away.

This method saves you all the hassle from a catback. No extension pipes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Even the stock dual exhaust is not loud. I mean, I also own a V8 Firebird with very open exhaust and that is measureably louder at all times (loud but good :) ). The turbo 4 is really quiet even at full power. IMO.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The turbo itself acts as a bit of s silencer when the exhaust gasses go through it so they can get away with a bit less restriction in the mufflers, but I haven't heard of anyone complaining when they do the conversion you propose.

You could always do what somebody had done to one of my cars - see below - they simply hung a second muffler tip set connected to a pipe going nowhere, on the other side of the car, no doubt to try and make it look like a V8 powered car (the tips on the right are dummies). You'd have the sound of your stock system, the look of the Redline and less expense by not needing to buy a new system or even muffler.

Reactions: Emm

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...........they simply hung a second muffler tip set connected to a pipe going nowhere......
I am not into "fake". I want it real, just not louder. A tad bit louder would be acceptable but not to affect our conversations, top-up or top-down.

I want a stock Redline exhaust system, unmodified. There is a Redline exhaust system for sale locally. Is this system missing a cat? It looks like a simple pipe was spliced into the system. If this is an unmodified complete system, is this a direct bolt-off, bolt-on process?

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
I am not into "fake". I want it real, just not louder. A tad bit louder would be acceptable but not to affect our conversations, top-up or top-down.

I want a stock Redline exhaust system, unmodified. There is a Redline exhaust system for sale locally. Is this system missing a cat? It looks like a simple pipe was spliced into the system. If this is an unmodified complete system, is this a direct bolt-off, bolt-on process?
The cat is oriented vertically, next to the engine. What is in your pictures is what is referred to as a cat-back exhaust, and will directly replace the one currently under your car.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cat is oriented vertically, next to the engine. What is in your pictures is what is referred to as a cat-back exhaust, and will directly replace the one currently under your car.
Thanks for the clarity on the cat.
Are all the joints in this system typical of a Redline?
Does every Redline have the dent seen between joints?

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
My memory tells me that mine have the dent, but I will have to look at one to confirm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My exhaust does not have the shiny tube over the pipe about 1 foot before the muffler, IDK what that is. Maybe just a heat sheild.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
All three of mine do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is the pipe diameter the same between the turbo and NA? I doubt it'll be noticeably louder. It's sports car..... It should sound like one. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Is the pipe diameter the same between the turbo and NA? I doubt it'll be noticeably louder. It's sports car..... It should sound like one. :)
The pipes are the essentially the same. The mufflers are different. And it is noticeably louder.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
My experience was that is only somewhat louder - but noticeably deeper. I'd recommend doing it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My experience was that is only somewhat louder - but noticeably deeper. I'd recommend doing it.
Thanks for your opinion.

Based on everyone's comments, I think I would do it if I find "The Deal" locally to drive over, pay cash, and take-home. Shipping of anything involved would make it too expensive for me. Time is on my side as I am not in any hurry.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Thanks for your opinion.

Based on everyone's comments, I think I would do it if I find "The Deal" locally to drive over, pay cash, and take-home. Shipping of anything involved would make it too expensive for me. Time is on my side as I am not in any hurry.
The local one isn't available any more?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Thanks for your opinion.

Things may have changed since two years ago. But I purchased the dual exhaust at gmpartsdirect.com for $1100 and purchased a redline rear valance on ebay for $300. Installation at Minute Muffler was only $220.

If the exhaust is not a discontinued part and if gmpartsdirect.com can ship it to a muffler shop - it's not much money.

Ah, But yes. Do a real muffler shop - not your local mechanic. Becauise they might have to heat it and bend it to make it fix exact.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts