Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 emerald green 2.4
57 Posts
I just put the solo performance dual exhaust kit on my 2.4. Beautiful kit, took less than an hour to install, not including cutting old out. It is louder than the stock but has a really nice sound and at highway speeds is very acceptable and not " too much" . I went from stock single to the duals so have no comparison to the redline's exhaust. Pipes are solid 3" from cat to the y pipe and all the hangers are welded at stock locations. Basically as easy a mod as I've done on the car so far..

And I wish I knew you had a dual valance marlboromike, I took my single and made it into a dual since I didn't want to pay 400 for a new one🤷‍♂️ pain in the ass and a lot of time to modify the old one..

·
Registered
2007 emerald green 2.4
57 Posts
Thanks. Trying not to make it look to too modified, fine line between custom and crappy some times.
The solo is a more of a true dual than the stock, splits into 2 pipes before the axle and has 2 inlet and outlet pipes at the muffler. Under $1000 for the kit. Had everything including new cat studs and nuts and gasket and all new hangers at stock locations with one added near the front of the system that had no support. There was even an existing spot to attach it on the framing.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Regarding our own 2.4L Sky, I want to do this at minimal cost. I spent way too much already on our Sky, making it hard for considering going with dual rear pipes unless the price is exceptionally low.

·
Registered
2007 emerald green 2.4
57 Posts
Sounds like finding a tip to add to the existing muffler or someone that has a redline exhaust may be your best option.. BTW, as a contractor "inexpensive" is the better term than cheap. A lot of things can be done on a budget just depends on the math, cost + need + want it or not that bad.
I belive most of us that have done exhaust mods started at the catalytic converter. That changed the sound much more than the exhaust swap did. The duals just added a much better tone and a nice hum on the highway that is not too loud at all

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
Thanks. Trying not to make it look to too modified, fine line between custom and crappy some times.
The solo is a more of a true dual than the stock, splits into 2 pipes before the axle and has 2 inlet and outlet pipes at the muffler. Under $1000 for the kit. Had everything including new cat studs and nuts and gasket and all new hangers at stock locations with one added near the front of the system that had no support. There was even an existing spot to attach it on the framing.
Realistically, once you route all of the exhaust through a single cat and a single pipe you have a single exhaust, and anything beyond that is essentially "fake". That said, if you like the sound and the look, it is all good.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I agree with you JohnWR.

I imagine, to increase horse power (little as it may) would be to have a true header versus the stock exhaust manifold.

I don't see headers being discussed. Maybe the stock manifold design is well optimized.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Amazing to read what some have spent to get the dual exhaust look and make it real. I picked up an RL removal, cat back, and just dropped the original NA down and the RL fit perfectly. Sound is quite nice and noise is not a problem to me.

Inquired about a new valance, but decided I would cut my existing valance first. Then if the cut didn't turn out satisfactory, would address that later with new or used. The new jigsaw I purchased at WalMart was a bit special in that it did some blade forward/backward movement ..,,,,forget what they called that feature. The cut was simple to do and you can't even tell it was cut.

There was a photo of the rear of my Red NA when the subject was the Curt trailer hitch. The cutout isn't hardly noticable. But that photo would only confirm what others have been saying about the RL doing the job very easily. Finding a "give-up" RL complete exhaust is the best way to do a NO cost upgrade. Other than the jigsaw, I spent nothing. Messing with a fake pipe would be a lot more work! (y)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have to confess that I am still undecided concerning the RL dual exhaust hence the hesitation to purchase. Last night was another example to leave things as they are. We went out for dinner and a little shopping in our base Sky with the top down and had great conversation. I fear any increase in exhaust noise will compromise that.

Maybe I should "fake" one in after-all.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The noise from the Redline exhaust will not interfere with conversation at all. Wind noise in the cabin is a MUCH bigger issue than the exhaust noise.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts