Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for 2007 original chrome wheels reasonably priced. MUST be in pristine condition. No chrome flaking or rust.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Looking for 2007 original chrome wheels reasonably priced. MUST be in pristine condition. No chrome flaking or rust.
Is there such a thing as "no chrome flaking" on a Sky? Whoever chromed the wheels for GM did a poor job of it for the sake of longevity. The chrome fails first where you don't see it but you quickly learn about it....where the rubber tire seals against the wheel. The least bit of moisture inside the tire does serious damage to the sealing surfaces. The worst of it is that the sealing surface cannot be properly addressed. The chrome is so much harder than the alloy making sanding it smooth extremely difficult. Sandblasting will remove way more alloy than chrome, destroying the wheel. Hand-sanding is the only option which is also a compromise, but one that still works.

I love the look of the chrome, but would be much happier with polished alloys. I understand a few Skys came with them. Another good choice are OEM powder-coated wheels, but "the Wow factor" is lightly compromised. If the powder-coating is the same silver color as is around the windshield and tulip, then that would tie-in better.

Years ago on a Solstice GXP I dealt with, it had a set of polished alloy wheels with a compromised finish. I got them blasted and powder-coated to match the silver which turned out very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 wheels for sale and extra lug nuts from the other 2 wheel
100 each. Call if interested. 315 491 8241 yolanda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts