Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am in the beginning stages of purchasing a Sky. I have a few questions. First, I don't know whether to go for the Red Line with turbo or save a few bucks and buy the 2.4 Saturn. Is there a big difference in driving between the two. I understand the horsepower will be different, but what about everything else? Is the turbo worth the extra $$?

Second, I really like the Bluestone color with the tan top and the dual tan and blue leather interior. I'm not particular on the transmission as I can drive either. I'm looking for a car that has less than 30,000 miles on it. Is there a big difference between the model years, 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009?

I look forward to your replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
771 Posts
In a word..... Turbo :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
It depends what you want. The car is fun to drive with either engine, but the redline gives the extra adrenaline rush when pushed.

-GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a Sky just this past week after a good deal of searching my region. I was not opposed to buying a Red Line, but unless you're planning to participate in road rallies, drag racing, etc. which beats the crap out of any car, why bother? I've discovered in the last few days that the standard 2.4 is quite adequate and very fun to drive. Also, lacking a turbocharger means less complication. The standard engine is considered to be an extremely reliable, well-built, well-designed powerplant. My Sky happens to be one of 550 "Carbon Flash Special Edition" cars produced for 2008 (chrome premium wheels, Monsoon premium sound system, and a custom paint job). Whoever the former owner was, he or she took very good care of it. With 42,000 miles, I bought it for only $13,000. It's got leather and pretty much every option available for '08.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
:agree: If ye wants to go fast get a R/L, improved suspension parts, tires.. insignia 2 tail pipes vs 1..

If ye wants a similar ride, slightly slower, with less complications, failures, and codes... A reliable steady ride, get a NA 2.4L and save the few bucks.. If you want power later, well then add a turbo or a supercharger on it at a another time. Heck, you just might find it fast enough as I have my NA..and my fellow NA owner above this post..:D And yes, as time and the few years they were made, changes went on, slight improvements and changes were made thru the years.. all usually minor however.. some could be significant, like the assisted brake booster returned in the later 08 year as an example. Power seats later on 07 models..etc, later models had radio options added and external connections

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
If you live near sea level and are not planning on traveling long distances, then the non turbo car is fine.

The turbo cars perform much better at altitude and get better fuel mileage at highway cruise speeds. As in 25 vrs 31.

I have an interesting video from the nationals last year in Flagstaff. An NA car pulled out to pass a truck and ended up running an oncoming car off the left side of the road. He later said that he started his pass like he normally did, but the car was out of oxygen and just would not accelerate.

I owned both a turbo car and an NA here in Colorado. the NA is an absolute dog at this altitude. It loses ~25% of its power which starts out at an acceptable 177 at the flywheel. Going up a mountain road it can be a real challenge to maintain the posted speed limit.

And the argument that you dont need a turbo unless you are racing or similar is a very limited view. The turbo allows the car to perform well under all conditions and gets significantly better mileage.

·
7,014 Posts
I bought at first (brand new) the 2009 Saturn SKY NA and took it back 2 months later in exchange for a (brand new) 2009 Turbo model. Reason: I was not happy by any means with the power of the NA version.... Lost big buck in the deal but it made me happier :)

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I bought at first (brand new) the 2009 Saturn SKY NA and took it back 2 months later in exchange for a (brand new) 2009 Turbo model. Reason: I was not happy by any means with the power of the NA version.... Lost big buck in the deal but it made me happier :)
Kinda my story also,... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Well I also tried to trade my NA for a turbo. Unfortunately the dealer and I could not work the numbers to our liking. I was not going to take "a bath" like marvic did. So we walked, no regrets. And in spite of what people say about the NA, I do not consider it a "dog" by any means. Being at sea level does have its advantages. My little NA can keep up with any R/L, and it has it own get up go on its side.. No regrets here.. Besides, now if I want I can modify my NA to do what any ole redline can do...:)):D:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Well I also tried to trade my NA for a turbo. Unfortunately the dealer and I could not work the numbers to our liking. I was not going to take "a bath" like marvic did. So we walked, no regrets. And in spite of what people say about the NA, I do not consider it a "dog" by any means. Being at sea level does have its advantages. My little NA can keep up with any R/L, and it has it own get up go on its side.. No regrets here.. Besides, now if I want I can modify my NA to do what any ole redline can do...:)):D:cheers:
I agree, at sea level they are much better performers. My experience and comments were based on operating above 6000 feet.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buy the Redline.

I had a non-turbo Solstice. While it was okay power wise, I wished I had gone for a GXP. Five months after I bought the Solstice, a fine fellow in a Honda Accord redecorated the exterior by changing lanes and forcing me into the guardrail. Totaled. So my focus was a Redline or GXP. I found a meticulously maintained RL with the Stage 2turbo and CAI plus some very nice Lexani wheels with brand new Conti Extreme Contact DW. Jumped on it and never looked back. The power is great, not for just tearing up the track [I don't trackit] but the power is there for highway driving. My NA Solstice was a little weak.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Drive them both. I've heard several cases where non gearheads drove the N/A and were left underwhelmed. What are you used to? If your last car had a sporty side, you'll probably need the RL. If convertible is enough, then you might not. The money is a wash. Yes, the RL is more expensive now, but resale is higher and the fuel economy is better. It will cost less in the long run if reliability doesn't come into play. Which it can for either car. With 50% more power, the turbo isn't a subtle difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found my twin

Found my identical twin. I'd gone to Costco in Hawthorne Ca., (home of the Beach Boys), to get some nitro for my tires, and passed by Pacific Volkswagen and there she was. Exact same 2.4L Convertible Silver Stunner Sky as mine. Same mileage, 50,000. Interior looked good, totally stock no mods. Good and fair asking price too. That was last Friday, may still be there, give a call. Mine is a daily driver, though mostly freeway, but I personally did not want a manual clutch, but with my K and N filter and a few little tweaks and mods, I'm confident I'll have just enough power and performance for those g forces I love.

OBLA DEE BROS

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I was not opposed to buying a Red Line, but unless you're planning to participate in road rallies, drag racing, etc. which beats the crap out of any car, why bother?
That you can even ask that question means one of two things. Either you never tried a R/L, or if you did, then you really are better suited to the base model.

The turbo version is a delight in every day use - you don't need to be a racer to appreciate them. Anyone that test drives a R/L and then buys an NA isn't a car guy (not that there is anything wrong with that)., with the possible exception of those topped out on price who can't afford the R/L.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Besides, now if I want I can modify my NA to do what any ole redline can do...:)):D:cheers:
When the cars were new, there was a valid argument that you could buy an NA and add a supercharger to it for less total outlay than if you'd bought a new or slightly used R/L, but I don't think that's true any longer - the prices have dropped so that the cost of the supercharger mod is at or above the price differential these days.

Given that the R/L also gets you a stronger engine that gives you better mileage and a better suspension (talking stock here), it doesn't seem a difficult decision as to which offers the better value if you were a new buyer today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts