Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like some of your thoughts on washing the sky...with the top up you can`t use hose because part of the body is in side /if you was out side with the hose the top is wet so you have to wait until it dries to clean the part that was in side ...question..since part of the body will be inside while the top is up... over time will their be oxidation dis-:banghead: :willy: coloring that would become a miss match when the top would be down...please walk through the normal cleaning process in your mind and i think you will understand what i`m talking about...:nono:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
glock919 said:
would like some of your thoughts on washing the sky...with the top up you can`t use hose because part of the body is in side /if you was out side with the hose the top is wet so you have to wait until it dries to clean the part that was in side ...
Not sure what you mean. Are you concerned about getting the inside of the trunk wet? If so, there should be seals that will prevent that. Alternately, if your concern is about cleaning the part of the top that stays below the clamshell, I'm sure we'll figure something out. You may wish to start with Tim's top care thread.

glock919 said:
since part of the body will be inside while the top is up... over time will their be oxidation dis-:banghead: :willy: coloring that would become a miss match when the top would be down...please walk through the normal cleaning process in your mind and i think you will understand what i`m talking about...:nono:
No part of the body will be inside the car when the roof is up, but the area under the AFBTS could be a concern. When I get mine washed, I guess I'll have to pop and close the trunk and leave the AFBTS up so they can clean that area too. Alternately, I guess I could just leave everything closed and do that part myself later.

Those of you that have cars: Is there a small area of plastic coating (think 3M clear bra) over the paint under where the AFBTS go? If so, I'd think that area would be even easier to clean.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Could Be Wrong But I Think The Humps And At Least 6 Inches Are Behind The Rear Wide On The Inside When The Top Is Up...
Thanks...

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Yes, the area around the AFBTs is coated in the 3M clear coating.
glock919-I think I see what you mean-the area on all Sky's that is silver pearl no matter what color you choose. That part is inside the car when the top is up. I guess we'll have to manually wash the space between the rear window and the seats unless you wash that part with the top down and be very careful not to get water inside the cockpit.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also, when you wash the car, you will need to rinse extra under the area where the top attaches to the car, as soap tends to gather there.
These cars are built in such an awesome way that water drains through the trunk - you have to see it to believe it...

·
Registered
669 Posts
hixclan said:
Also, when you wash the car, you will need to rinse extra under the area where the top attaches to the car, as soap tends to gather there.
These cars are built in such an awesome way that water drains through the trunk - you have to see it to believe it...
I saw that on the dealer's demo. Great design! The water just goes down and through the drains in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
qwack said:
I saw that on the dealer's demo. Great design! The water just goes down and through the drains in the trunk.

So does that mean if you have something stashed in the trunk and it's raining...it will get wet? :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
glock919 said:
would like some of your thoughts on washing the sky...with the top up you can`t use hose because part of the body is in side /if you was out side with the hose the top is wet so you have to wait until it dries to clean the part that was in side ...question..since part of the body will be inside while the top is up... over time will their be oxidation dis-:banghead: :willy: coloring that would become a miss match when the top would be down...please walk through the normal cleaning process in your mind and i think you will understand what i`m talking about...:nono:
I use "Waterless Carwash" on my other cars. It really works. People think I am crazy until they try it on their cars. This type of cleaning will work great for the issue you present. One caution is to not get it on the top. I took delivery of our SKY yesterday and I intend to use the Waterless Wash on it. Of course, I don't think it will ever get too dirty since it will be garaged kept.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
So does that mean if you have something stashed in the trunk and it's raining...it will get wet? :confused:
No-no Linda -- It is in tubes... They used a similar system back in the 1990's with their sun roofs. They used to proudly say, "People complain that sun roofs leak -- we designed ours to leak" They have a set of "gutters" to catch the water and channel it into tubing and through the trunk onto the ground -- well done too.
I have had my tubes clog once in the 13 years I have driven Saturns with sun roofs... Cleaning it was not difficult.:thumbs:

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
reedred said:
No part of the body will be inside the car when the roof is up
See this pic-the silver strip is inside the car with the top up. I guess the strip will have to be washed top down, very carefully:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
NCBlue said:
See this pic-the silver strip is inside the car with the top up. I guess the strip will have to be washed top down, very carefully:confused:
I would treat it as interior panel and clean it that way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
NCBlue said:
As I mentioned above, the Waterless Carwash will take care of this section, plus the entire car if you choose, with no problem. you may be able to get a sample to try on the section that is shown in the picture. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts