Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going to replace my radiator with a more efficient after market, might as well as I am installing charge tubes and cold air intake. I will inspect the water pump, but with only 36k on the odometer, it should be okay. Since I acquired my '07 Sky Redline last June, I haven't have time to do many upgrades. After doing some research I am going waterless for my coolant option.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone else doing that, so it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay Leno has been using waterless coolant for over 16 years, I believe it will help with all Redlines, the boiling point of the coolant is around 375°, so no boil over and helps the turbo.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Jay Leno has been using waterless coolant for over 16 years, I believe it will help with all Redlines, the boiling point of the coolant is around 375°, so no boil over and helps the turbo.
I will clarify my comment to say that I have not heard of it being used specifically in one of our cars, not that they are essentially different from any others.

If the water pump needs replacing, I will replace the timing chain.
Certainly a prudent decision. I assume that you will also replace the chain guides along with both chains..

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a classic misunderstanding: water has a significantly higher specific heat capacity than water-free coolants or glycol. Of course, the boiling point is lower, but it doesn't have to be higher.

It is much more important how much heat the cooling medium can absorb. And here pure water achieves the highest performance. Pure water is the best coolant. For this reason, many racing series use pure water as coolant.

Of course frost protection must be used in cold regions, but this worsens the heat absorption of the water.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Most racing rules that specify pure water for coolant do so because it makes clean-up much easier after an incident that spreads coolant across the track.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Watch the Jay Leno videos about how corrosive water can be, I am going waterless and never going to drain the system again.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
It looks like the biggest risk comes from leaving water in the system. If what I read is accurate, it only takes 3% water to eliminate the benefits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am going to use the waterless prep fluid first, that'll eliminate any water in the system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts