Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Sunday, April 26, Watkins Glen will have its opening day. This means that you can bring your car and drive it on the track for 3 "victory laps" behind a pace car. The cost $20 each time you go out.

The pace car is supposed to go a set speed. But with the cars spread out enough, you can get up there easily. I have attended the last 3 years and have absolutely enjoyed it each time.

BONUS - IF we can organize a group of 10 cars or more, we can solo the track and have it all to ourselves.

Lets arrange a meetup time in the parking lot or somewhere else so that we can all go on together. Then maybe go for a late lunch somewhere. Any ideas?

Gates will open at 9:00am, with laps starting at 10:00am and ending at 3:00pm, including a half hour break for the Tribute Laps at noon.

From 12-12:30pm fans will also be treated to" tribute laps" by some of the race cars that were driven by Donohue including: a Lola T70 Can Am car, a Eagle-Offy that raced in the 1973 Indianapolis 500, a 1968 Trans Am Camaro, Donohue's first race car - the 1961 National Championship winning Elva Courier, and the 1965 Shelby GT 350R that he drove to win the 1965 SCCA North East, B production championship - to name but a few. Immediately following the tribute laps, the cars, drivers and many of the people associated with Donohue's career will conduct a meet-and-greet in the Gatorade Victory Lane, offering fans a chance to see the cars up close, take photographs and another chance to have their copy of the Donohue book signed by Argetsinger and the many personalities who will be in attendance.

THE LIST
=======
1) Excelsior - NY - GXP
2) histand - CT - GXP
3) Phantomsounddj - NY - GXP
4) Prrii - NH - GXP
5) fivespokes - NJ - GXP
6) ??

Unsure:
fxlreteng - NY - NA
Domer3001 - MA - NA
kennysabarese - NJ - Sky RL
SkyNV - NY - Sky +

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Sounds like fun, but I will be in South Carolina at the time....:thumbs:

·
Registered
585 Posts
i would much prefer the group thing. I AM DEFINITELY IN if we get the track to ourselves.

20 bucks for how long each time out? how many runs can you get in one day?

it's a long drive for me so i'd rather have the track for ourselves.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just re-read your post. do you mean if we have 10 cars we can have a run all alone that day. or rent the entire track for an entire day?
During my times there, they have let the Corvette club there and some other clubs go out all at the same time for their 3 laps. In my research, I have found that if you bring a club/group of ten cars or more that you can do this. This is not mentioned anywhere on the web page, but I found this mentioned on a ford club page. Anyway, I will head to their forum to ask there and be certain. There is nobody to call to confirm this either.

In short, group of 10+ = 3 laps of their own cars. There are a LOT of cars that come to drive it, prepare to wait each time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would much prefer the group thing. I AM DEFINITELY IN if we get the track to ourselves.

20 bucks for how long each time out? how many runs can you get in one day?

it's a long drive for me so i'd rather have the track for ourselves.
we can get the track to ourselves with a club group of 10 or more cars for 3 laps only.

$20 each 3-laps out. You need to wait between each run, this can be a long wait. Especially in the morning time. There are lots of cars.

Once you run, you can either go to the parking lot/car show and oggle everyone elses car or wait in line and go again.

·
Registered
727 Posts
With this being just over a week away, I thought I would bump it up.

It is a fun time! Between waits it is also fun to chat with the other sports car enthusiasts there, and check out the other cars. :cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weather for Sunday is:
Bring sunscreen please.

** wunderground.com

Sunday
Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

** weather.com

Isolated T-Storms
High
79°F

Precip
30%

Wind: WSW 12 mph
Max. Humidity: 47%
UV Index: 6 High
Sunrise: 6:09 AM ET
Avg. High: 62°F
Record High: 87°F (1990)