Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told not to wax my car for at least 6 months...does that include the standard wax that accompanies car washes? When I do go to the hand wash places, I tell them not to add the wax :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I would say "it depends on the wax."

If you use 100% carnauba wax (Harly Wax is one brand) then that is a pure, non-abrasive protective coating that can make your car look really great. There are other non-abrasive synthetics that are supposedly good too, but I have no experience with those.

I would recommend applying a non-abrasive wax immediately after taking delivery of the car. A good wax will keep it cleaner and provide a layer of protection from bug guts and road grime and all that other gunk.

Under NO circumstances would I use a "cleaner wax" or "color restorer" or any wax with any sort of cleaner or abrasive in it. These are designed to remove old, oxidized paint (which is why you would want to wait at least six months) but can introduce micro-scratches into the surface of your new car. So don't use a cleaner wax!

But a pure, non-abrasive wax I think is goodness.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I have been told not to wax my car for at least 6 months...does that include the standard wax that accompanies car washes? When I do go to the hand wash places, I tell them not to add the wax :confused:
The Skys go thru an oven that bakes the paint. So by the time you receive it the paint has already been cured and I recommend a good wax, non-abrasive, and the carwash liquid wax is OK too. Skip.. car wash does my Sky once a week:cool: :) :)

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Whaaa??:crazy: Not only that, I already bathed, clayed, polished then sealed my Sky. All within 2 weeks of delivery--Donno who told you not to wax, but that is crazy--I say keep it clean--I don't use wax, I use better stuff--Wax is useless, unless you like doing it every 3-4 weeks and you get a kick out of it--I clay, polish and seal my baby every 5-6 months--In between "treatments" she gets bathed--personally, by me--:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Working for a company that makes automotive coatings... The clear coat (which is on top) is pretty quick to cure.
I waited a month -- more as a convenience than a restriction, but waxed she is and no problems. I spray wax about ever other wash as well.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Working for a company that makes automotive coatings... The clear coat (which is on top) is pretty quick to cure.
I waited a month -- more as a convenience than a restriction, but waxed she is and no problems. I spray wax about ever other wash as well.
:thumbs:
I waxed mine with no clue I wasn't asupposed to. Seems to me it makes the bugs wash off easier.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
You can wax right away. The paint is cured ( Baked on at the factory ) at a very high temp. When they say no waxing that means if you had something done like at a body shop.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can wax right away. The paint is cured ( Baked on at the factory ) at a very high temp. When they say no waxing that means if you had something done like at a body shop.
That makes sense...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
ZANIO......IS ALL WE USE...:)

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
My dealer had a mandatory add-on that I wasn't too happy about at first, but I have since come to like the idea. It is a 5-year paint protectant plan for $199, but the best part is that they will apply it for me every six months for five years (for other cars, they just give you the bottle and tell you to do it yourself). My guess is that this is their way of getting me to come back to the dealer, but what the heck, I'll let them do the work!

With the paint protection applied every six months, I am planning on NOT waxing, and when I go to the car wash, I tell them to NOT use spray wax.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zaino Wax

Ok so I am gonna try this Zaino Wax as recommended. Looked at their website and just want to verify what I should order. I am assuming the Sky does have "Clear Coat" - so should I order the Z1 and Z-2?

If not please recommend what I need.

Thanks and I love the forum and my new Sky:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Used P21S two weeks ago very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Ok so I am gonna try this Zaino Wax as recommended. Looked at their website and just want to verify what I should order. I am assuming the Sky does have "Clear Coat" - so should I order the Z1 and Z-2?

Either I bought both. Don't forget the spay detailer, great after you wash the car for a super quick shine. After you wax of course. However I didn't like their tire shine at all.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Either I bought both. Don't forget the spay detailer, great after you wash the car for a super quick shine. After you wax of course. However I didn't like their tire shine at all.
I love thier tire shine. It's not too glossy and is water based. None of that silcone crap. Plus the zaino tire cleaner has UV protection.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be careful using waxes when the paint is so fresh from the manufacturer it can damage it. Most often I will use a non-carnuba wax on my customers new cars on spots that may be needed to be waxed. But best bet is to wait 6-8 months before a good coat of hand wax. Car washes have a limited wax that will sometimes, and sometimes not depending on where you go, strip the previous wax right off and the shine gets very dull BE CAREFUL of this. I never go through car washes again after I had this happen, with tremendous swirl marks to my Jeep. Best bet is to do it yourself, or call in a professional like me :D . Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts

What you want is Z2 and ZFX. If you use ZFX with Z2 it makes using Z1 unnecessary and it is better.-bird

·
Registered
514 Posts
that 6 month rules (actually more like one to two monthes) is for body shop paint that don't bake the paint so it has to air cure. Factory paint should be good to go and ready for wax. I would use a good polymer like Zaino.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts