Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Skyroadster.com will be migrated to our new platform on Tuesday, January 28th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

·
Registered
125 Posts
We just went thru a platform migration on another site where i am a Moderator and to be honest it was painless and the improvements were obvious after a couple of days of playing around with the features. Hopefully this forum sees the same results.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well, there goes the neighborhood . . . just kidding . . . but it will take a bit of time to learn the new software, since it is quite a bit different than this old stuff.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
I have not been on the Solstice site since day two. Don't like it, makes it harder for me to see it.

Most likely my last post on the forum. They did the same thing on the fj Cruiser forum. I don't need the aggravation. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
I have not been on the Solstice site since day two. Don't like it, makes it harder for me to see it.

Most likely my last post on the forum. They did the same thing on the fj Cruiser forum. I don't need the aggravation. Have fun.
Did you try it in "Dark Mode"? I had a hard time with "Light Mode" but like it now that I have switched.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

Solstice forum. Veloster forum, now this one . . . us old guys are not adapting well to these new style forums where everything is an icon to navigate the forum. Nosiree, don't give me a little picture to click on instead of a menu or regular link.

Ah well, such is the way of the software biz.

:dontlikeit:

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
...... . . . us old guys are not adapting well to these new style forums where everything is an icon to navigate the forum. Nosiree, don't give me a little picture to click on instead of a menu or regular link..
Except for the first four icons, one of which even has the word "New" in it, the rest of the navigation is menus with words. Isn't it?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Wait, you're on the Veloster forum????
I have a login cuz' my son-in-law is a member, but I don't participate. He asked me about some suspension mod recently and I didn't even know what he was asking . . .

Try the Subaru BRZ forum if you want to know how dead a forum can be. I had a #2 allocation at my dealership until I actually saw one and sat in it, gave up the allocaton the next day. What a piece of junk that car was.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Except for the first four icons, one of which even has the word "New" in it, the rest of the navigation is menus with words. Isn't it?
It is? Could be, but I'm taking forever to get used to it, and frequently cuss at the new interface, don't like dark mode, and light mode is even worse.

:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I have a login cuz' my son-in-law is a member, but I don't participate. He asked me about some suspension mod recently and I didn't even know what he was asking . . .
LOL My fiancé has a tricked out Veloster but I am not on the forums much. More FB for them. We have some ties though to the vendors in that platform who are local (SoCal Garage Works and KDM Tuners...) so don't really need the forums as much as I have for other platforms.

Try the Subaru BRZ forum if you want to know how dead a forum can be. I had a #2 allocation at my dealership until I actually saw one and sat in it, gave up the allocaton the next day. What a piece of junk that car was.

:dunno:

I actually like the car but it is WAY too small for me. Very cramped.

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
It is? Could be, but I'm taking forever to get used to it, and frequently cuss at the new interface, don't like dark mode, and light mode is even worse.

I wasn't a fan at first, but decided that the options were to [1] give up on the forum(s), [2] stay but hate it, or [3] be open-minded and look for the good.
Once i got used to it I have actually come to prefer it, but I know that there are others who don't and probably never will. I still miss XP.

Like it or hate it, the reality is that it is coming and the three options I listed above are all there are. And it is much better on a mobile device, for what that's worth.

Which parts of the interface make you cuss? What are you trying to do that you are having trouble with?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I wasn't a fan at first, but decided that the options were to [1] give up on the forum(s), [2] stay but hate it, or [3] be open-minded and look for the good.
I'm currently somewhere between #2 and #3 , and as I get more used to it, am trending toward the 3 end of the scale.

Like it or hate it, the reality is that it is coming and the three options I listed above are all there are. And it is much better on a mobile device, for what that's worth.
I agree with you, and it isn't as foreign as it was when it was sprung on us. I have found most of the functionality I need on a day to day basis, but I do not use it on a mobile device, but accept that in order for the forums to survive, they must be easy to use on mobile devices.

I'm getting used to the changes from the old, but sometimes I'm still the old curmudgeon who can't adjust to changes.

Our "community" has aged 15 to 20 years since we first met on these forums back at the start of the 2000s, some of us have been BBSing online since way before that, pre-internet for some of us.

So anyway, if we sometimes complain about changes, all we are doing is complaining about change, not about anything in particular.

I'm done now! :) >:)

:thumbs:

·
Registered
17,447 Posts

Look up OCCAM'S RAZOR....that is so true. This will be the 2nd change in the format. I am too old for change...ya think? I do not own a smart phone. I do have a landline and 2 rotary functioning phones...can I get an AMEN?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.