Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delivery Process

We took delivery of our beautiful silver graphite SKY yesterday afternoon. The following is a description of the process. The first drive impression will follow.

I got on the early registration list in August of last year. I went in and gave my list of preferences to the Sales Manager Jan 7 – at that time I was number two on the list. On Feb 22 the SM called and we finalized the image and it was accepted – I was the first image to go in. At this point, we all knew that my choices of chrome wheels, red/black leather and automatic transmission would cause delays. I was confident that my car would be built the way I wanted and was willing to accept that.
March 15 the car was still at 030, later to become 3000. I didn’t bug the staff at the retailer since they couldn’t make things happen any faster. On April 27, I got the call that the invoice for VIN 101472 was in and I could expect delivery soon, maybe buy May5/6. Well that date passed and so did the next two dates. The car was “on the ground” in Milpitas, CA and waiting on a truck.
At this point, I changed from a patient “waiter” to chomping at the bit – especially when I saw a car with my color/wheel choice tooling around town.
Well, yesterday, my sales guy John called to tell me the car was here and in PDI. So much for getting any work done. I met my wife and we cleaned up our LS2 we were trading in and off we went.
I must say that the staff at Saturn of Concord, CA from the Sales Manger Duane, my sales guy John and my “inside informant” Peggy were terrific. The trade evaluation was quick and more than fair, much more than I was expecting. The finance stuff was quick and painless and before we knew it, we had our Saturn send-off cheer and we were on our way – top down of course.

We now suffer, me more than the W, from SGS (Silly Grin Syndrome). This car is so cool!

PICS
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14309504550.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14309511675.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14309530674.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14309533445.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14309542440.jpg&s=f5

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WE GOT IT - part II

First drive impressions

Well, we left the retailer after our rousing send off, with the beginnings of SGS (Silly Grin Syndrome). No one had seen the red/black interior up close – it is stunning IMHO - and we were gathering a crowd from the sales staff and customers walking around the lot. With top stowed, off we went.

I am not a small guy, 6’2” and close to 250 ( I won’t say high or low) and this car fits like a glove, very comfortable. After following the folks who already have their cars, I was ready for the blind spots so I was not deal breaker at the first light. The steering wheel could go up about an inch but, here again, no surprise. Plenty of leg room and all the controls are where they should be.

Pick up from a stop is great. I do NOT need a race car. The ride is firm, well solid is a better term. It feels like your are driving a much heavier car. The steering is responsive – if you think it, it’ll happen. Brakes – WOW.

Our drive home, well to show off to friends and family, was in stop and go traffic. No big deal since we were playing with all the knobs and buttons. We were comfortable in the cabin with top down and windows up although the W’s hair did suffer a bit. The noise level is what you would expect in a ‘vert but the stereo (single CD with Monsoon) did it’s job.

We had a large hill to pull and since there was only 15 miles on the ODO, I took it easy. And easy it went. No big grunt, no lag, no bog, it just went.

We both started to notice the folks around us. The stares, the grins and the “what the heck was that” looks were priceless. All the while, SGS was setting in for good. In fact, I think I even heard a giggle. The W insists it was me – who am I to argue.

The First stop still has me grinning. My brother-in-law stopped by my house a couple of years ago and just honked and honked until I came outside to see what the he&* was going on. He was just showing off his new Corvette. I just HAD to return the favor. He is very impressed with the car – color, wheels, ride (of course I took him for a ride) - and he compared if favorably to the ride in his vette, minus @ 200 HP!

My daughter and grandson where next. Both were very impressed. My grandson, 4 years old, thought it looked like a Bat Mobile. Hmmm, a name for the car?

Our friends were next the next town over. I wanted to call to see if they were home but the W brought me to my senses. I was gonna drive out there anyway so we might as well just go. If they’re not home, oh well. They were and even for not being “car people” they thought it was stunning. It was fairly chilly at this point in the evening so topless rides will have to wait for the week-end – oh darn.

Overall – this is a very cool car. The top is what it is and to my way of thinking, not that big a deal to put up or stow. The limited storage in the cabin – if it doesn’t fit, I must not need it. The trunk is roomier that pictures show. It’s odd shape and angles can be coped with. The W mention we could run off for a week-end very easily.

Sorry for the length but I think I have a terminal case of SGS.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WE GOT IT - part III

Sorry, I left off a couple of details.
When I placed my preferences with my SM, he printed out what we worked up, MSRP. Period. The SM said that that is how they have, do and will do business.

I wanted the front plate bracket placed in my hand at delivery. Well, they put it in the trunk - close enough!
I asked for mud flaps to be added, after the image was in - dealer installed at PDI, no problemo.

No ding, dents, or paint problems. Fit and finish is top shelf.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Very nice....... I Like the red leather

·
Registered
256 Posts
Excellent review bigdog. I was starting to get worried about your car. I'll be experiencing that "grin" syndrome in about 7 hours!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Those pictures were amazing. Very beautiful with the red and black leather. I cannot wait to suffer from silly grin syndrome.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is one super looking car! I like it! Congratulations from So Cal. The stares will continue. My wife rides shotgun and keeps track of the looks and rubber-necking. Conversation piece wherever you go. Looks like the wait was worth it.

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Congrats, bigdog-and yes, the SGS(silly grin syndrome) is terminal-no cure known yet-treatment (driving your Sky) is the only solution-and it just makes it worse!!:D Enjoy!:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sweeeet! That Graphite with Red/Black looks awesome...

I am having such a hard time picking the color for my Redline. It's between your exact combo or Red with Black Leather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts