Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded Kia K5 Sedan. I got off cheap too, with a $55K budget, I offered the wife ANY car she wanted up to a Benz and she actually chose the Kia; a sporty turbo charged 4 door sedan, replete with white diamond tucked leather seats and pearl white paint. Only about $39k before negotiations began and ended up at $34k and they threw in a 10 year 100K complete bumper to bumper warranty (up from 5/50), a whopping 20 year 200k drive train warranty (up from 10/100k), and 0% interest to boot. December is definitely the month to buy a new car. There were a couple of dealer installed options for another $2k (3M film mask and tinted windows). Craziest thing having air conditioned seats.

I just could not bring myself to buy another GM product; a 35 year streak broken. I owned every GM brand made 'cept a Caddy - just never interested in one.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Wait...did u trade the Sky? I also have a leased Optimna. Air conditioned seats which I never use...it has the same 2.4L engine...they have come a long way the KIAs...let me say this which you probably do not know. There is a class action against HYUNDI regarding falsifying the gas mileage...it is over and they admitted to it. I do not know the settlement or how much each owner will be compensated....but KIA is also part of it. They have not settled yet. I assume you will not be part of the settlement...just saying.

Anyway, Best of luck...come visit, often.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just could not bring myself to buy another GM product; a 35 year streak broken.
And why is that? You know all companies make some cars that are defective. It is just as likely (if not more likely) for you to spend more time at the dealer with a Kia, or a BMW, or a Toyota. I have owned a number of GM cars over the years and only one ever really gave me a headache.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
And why is that? You know all companies make some cars that are defective. It is just as likely (if not more likely) for you to spend more time at the dealer with a Kia, or a BMW, or a Toyota. I have owned a number of GM cars over the years and only one ever really gave me a headache.
I've had more quality-related issues with my Sky in 21,000 miles than three Toyotas (two 4Runners and a Sienna) that we've put 350,000 miles on. There just isn't any comparison, in our experience, in the build and component quality between the two brands. Sad, but true.

No broken ash trays.
No door sills delaminating.
No cracked turbos.
No major recalls.
Never broken by a dealer service center.
No scratched radio faceplates.
Radios that can be seen in sunlight.
No rusting wheel hubs.
No brake problems because key parts were removed from the build.

And on and on.

I like driving my Sky, when it runs right (it has had, for two years, an intermittent CEL and limp mode issue that no one can fix), but the hassles that have come with it wouldn't be worth it for a sedan or SUV.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
So, Brian, your Sky is history? Apparently so. :confused: What was the final verdict? Cracked block or .....?

Good luck with the new car!

Yogi

·
Premium Member
5,368 Posts
I had fords my whole life, got a real lemon in 2006, F350. Fought in arbitration and won, Ford took the full two months to pay it off. Never buy another Ford for any reason. Picked up a FJ Cruiser in 2006, and I beat the living crap out of it. John Bull, Claw Hammer, Carveacre, Rubicon and many trails in Colorado and Utah. The vehicle has never been to the dealership due to vehicle failure. I have broken many things, and definitely operator error. Replaced the battery before it failed, last year. Absolutely the finest vehicle I have ever owned. FJ's were made in Japan, none in the US.

GMC dually is a continuous electrical nightmare, always something happening, but a much better driving truck than the Ford.

We have a Volt that has been bullet proof for over two years. 175 miles to the gallon. It has been a good investment.

The Sky has some sort of electrical problem, dash lights work when they want to, started about a month ago. But finding something that is comparable to the vehicle is hard for the price, we would and will buy another one in the next month or so.

Toyota for us has been the best vehicle, nothing is even close.

The newer GM stuff seems to be better than the ones made 7-8 years ago.

Would love to have another vette, but I have grand kids that I enjoy spending money on.

If I was buying a replacement for the Sky though, keeping in a reasonable price range, it would be the little SCION coupe. Down a little on HP I hear, but I like the looks of it.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
I've had more quality-related issues with my Sky in 21,000 miles than three Toyotas (two 4Runners and a Sienna) that we've put 350,000 miles on. There just isn't any comparison, in our experience, in the build and component quality between the two brands. Sad, but true.

No broken ash trays.
No door sills delaminating.
No cracked turbos.
No major recalls.
Never broken by a dealer service center.
No scratched radio faceplates.
Radios that can be seen in sunlight.
No rusting wheel hubs.
No brake problems because key parts were removed from the build.

And on and on.

I like driving my Sky, when it runs right (it has had, for two years, an intermittent CEL and limp mode issue that no one can fix), but the hassles that have come with it wouldn't be worth it for a sedan or SUV.
My SKY is PERFECT! 37K and just oil changes. The 2.4L is trouble free. Of course, I do not push it above 80.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry folks, when I said I was buying one for my wife I thought it would be clear that it was HER Saturn that was being replaced. I have too much invested in the Sky to do anything but keep it... and thankfully it runs like it was brand new. In fact, replacing the engine actually solved an annoying rattle in my instrument cluster that I've had for about a year now; don't know how, just know that.

·
Premium Member
5,368 Posts
Fantastic!!!!

Maybe you, Robotech and I can hit the Carlsbad Cars and Coffee in the next month or so, since the cancelled the Irvine one indefinitely.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Sorry folks, when I said I was buying one for my wife I thought it would be clear that it was HER Saturn that was being replaced. I have too much invested in the Sky to do anything but keep it... and thankfully it runs like it was brand new. In fact, replacing the engine actually solved an annoying rattle in my instrument cluster that I've had for about a year now; don't know how, just know that.
It is not April yet...:nono:

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fantastic!!!!

Maybe you, Robotech and I can hit the Carlsbad Cars and Coffee in the next month or so, since the cancelled the Irvine one indefinitely.
Hmm, that would be cool, where's it held?

On edit, it looks like they're having a change in the venue and will continue early next year as Cars and Coffee Orange County: https://www.facebook.com/carsandcoffeeorangecounty

·
Premium Member
5,368 Posts
I figure Carlsbad is farther for you, so I am all for Carlsbad. I have to get up at 3am to make it, I want you to suffer to!!!!!

Just harassing you as it used to be right around the corner for you.

Sounds good!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't forget about me!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm the original owner of a first year, first generation Kia Sorento. 120K miles and still going strong. The new Kia Optima is a beautiful car and looks like a $70K sedan. Has "similar" lines to an Aston Martin, IMHO. I rented one - a turbo 4 and really loved it. Comfortable, quite, and quick. All cars will have their issues to a degree, but the Kia seems to be one of the lesser of them all. Up there now with Toyota and Honda. Plus with a 100K mile/10 year you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I'll never buy another GM car either.
Upper management is a bunch of idiots and the more than half of the dealerships have ****ty mechanics and piss poor Customer service and the current crop of cars are boring as ****. The attitude at the dealerships is the biggest turn off. It really does not matter if they have good cars or not. The only exception is the new stingray but that is so overpriced it's ridiculous. I'd take a new Mustang over a Camaro any day of the week.

The wife just picked up a Hyundai Genesis R-Spec. It's an amazing car and the price was about $10k less than equivalent models from other companies and the way she was treated was amazing. Same goes with our local Ford Dealership. We get greeted by at least 5 people when we come in for something as stupid as an oil change and they all know our name and spend time just talking with us. People skills count and that is where GM seriously fails.

Both of these places act like Saturn used to act. Half of my Sky purchase was the car, but the other half was about the people at the Saturn dealership. You just don't get that at a Chevy dealership.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been in the automotive service business since 1981 and dealership since 1987 trust me when I tell you ALL car companies have some issues.

The Toyota fan boys are some of the worst, Tundra and Tacoma frames rusted through in only 6-8 years failing state safety inspection standards. Tundra bodies that look like new but the frame is so rotten with holes the vehicle is unsafe and is worthless as a trade. You cant even lift those trucks on a rack. Toyota's initial reaction was "sorry about your luck" until the NHTSA stepped in and forced a "voluntary recall." Toyota's recall cheat solution was to scrape any frame that had no actual holes yet and blow undercoat on them to hide the problem and stall for a few years. When the rust finally compromised the frame later Toyota says "nope it was a one-time recall fix you are on your own." The lucky ones had rust holes through the frame at initial inspection and the company either replaced the frame, with the owner paying for any hardware that crumbled in the exchange like brake lines etc, or on older units Toyota just had to buy back as they were not worth fixing. The trucks are just one example want to discuss the 6-8 recalls on certain year Sienna vans or Prius, some multiple recalls for the same issues. Or the RAV4 rear suspension failures that Toyota originally tried to blame on alignment technicians (funny they have no problem on any other vehicles Toyota) the RAV4 is in its third recall for that issue. Or the 2007 Camry 4-cyl engines drinking a quart of oil every 600 miles requiring piston and ring replacement that Toyota initially told owners over 60k miles "out of warranty that's your problem" that is until Toyota lost the class action lawsuit. The list goes on and on but the foreign car fan boys defend it all.

But yea, GM sucks rah rah rah....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts