Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Just wait till the FJ Cruiser recall starts. Front crumple zone above the front wheels, cracks and breaks, causing fender bulges, 2007, just about every vehicle has them. Met the engineer at one of our Summits, his comment "So Sorry". Some get so bad the doors can not open with out hitting the fenders.

Love my Toyota, but as 1GM states, all have problems, and all of them seem to respond the same. Who US. You or someone else caused this, not us.

·
Registered
69 Posts
And why is that? You know all companies make some cars that are defective. It is just as likely (if not more likely) for you to spend more time at the dealer with a Kia, or a BMW, or a Toyota. I have owned a number of GM cars over the years and only one ever really gave me a headache.
Loaded Kia K5 Sedan. I got off cheap too, with a $55K budget, I offered the wife ANY car she wanted up to a Benz and she actually chose the Kia; a sporty turbo charged 4 door sedan, replete with white diamond tucked leather seats and pearl white paint. Only about $39k before negotiations began and ended up at $34k and they threw in a 10 year 100K complete bumper to bumper warranty (up from 5/50), a whopping 20 year 200k drive train warranty (up from 10/100k), and 0% interest to boot. December is definitely the month to buy a new car. There were a couple of dealer installed options for another $2k (3M film mask and tinted windows). Craziest thing having air conditioned seats.

I just could not bring myself to buy another GM product; a 35 year streak broken. I owned every GM brand made 'cept a Caddy - just never interested in one.
Sky_Pilot, I have owned GM vehicles for the last 55 years and driven most of them over the 200k mark, with only minor problems, only one rebuild and that was from letting a friend borrow it and he was the reason I had to do the rebuild.
We currently own 3 Saturn Sky's, 2-2007's, one std (Chili) and one Redline (Black) and a 2009 Redline (Ruby Red) with a custom matching Sky Fiberglas Trailer it has the Sky Tail lights and fake hood inlets, Only problem so far is broken cup holder on one of them, all with under 50k on them, plus about 5 other GM Vehicles, a couple of Chevy's and 3 Cads no major problems except a leaky tailgate shock on the Cad SUV. and the normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, 3 Saturns... I had two, the Sky and an LW300 wagon. Gave the wagon to a Vet group and bought a Tesla 3 to replace it, still have the Sky and Kia. The Kia has about 60k on the ODO, it's been a very good car. Probably won't buy another Tesla though. The Tesla is a nice car, but their customer service sucks, and there are a lot of EV contenders out there and a few more that look promising but aren't out yet.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
I am trying to buy my 5th one, but one was a Solstice Mallett. Long gone. The wife hated the damned thing, and I wasn't that big of fan of it.

Glad you still have the Sky and one day when all this Covid crap is over with, we all need to go to a car show!!!!!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Since we are discussing other vehicles owned, our other vehicles are as follows.
  • 2007 Phoenix Cruiser motor home (2007 Ford E350 chassis) CLICK HERE for pics.
  • 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 (we tow behind the motor home)
  • 2014 Nissan Altima L4 2.5L-SL
-----------------------------------------

Regarding our 2014 Nissan Altima sedan........

I hear our generation Altima has reliability issues with the transmission, but I wonder if the primarily cause is related to the larger V6-3.5L engine with owners who drive aggressively.

We bought ours new in November 2013, and it has been superb. It is very roomy inside and also in the trunk. It is extremely comfortable during extended day trips and overnight road trips. If I could limit my cruising speed to 65mph, it will get 43 mpg, the CVT transmission being the reason for that. MSRP was over $29k, negotiated down to $22k. Our 7 year old Altima today has 86,000 miles and not one repair yet, only consumables.

If I had to replace our 2014 Nissan Altima today, a 2021 model year would be one of the first I would check out.
----------------------------------------

Regarding our 2006 Jeep Liberty........

My wife hand-picked it because it's cute and it's hers. I maintain it and I can say that it has a thirst for mechanical attention. I have replaced so many different things on that vehicle that should not go wrong, especially considering it is a garage queen with only 83,000 miles. I never liked anything made by Chrysler for that very reason and the "hate affair" continues. The only thing good about the vehicle is it's 4x4 capability and it makes for a friendly tow vehicle. Now if I could just keep it trouble-free during our camping trips with the motor home.
---------------------------------------

Regarding our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser motor home........

We special-ordered our Phoenix Cruiser model 2350 in the spring of 2007, paying ~$67K. It is a garage queen too but it requires very little attention considering it is a motor home. What most here do with their Sky, I indulge in our motor home making it work better for our traveling and camping experiences. The 2007 Ford E350 chassis it is built on at that time 96% of the parts used to make it were made in the USA, and 100% assembled in the USA. It had extremely high quality ratings and we have benefitted well from that. The E350 Ford chassis has been awesome. The only issue I had to deal with has been related to "handling" which has been address with heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars, shocks, steering stabilizer, and rear track bar. The chassis today has 38,000 miles and has required only consumables, primarily filters and oil changes. The original tires are still on, requiring replacement due to age. I am waiting until post-COVID to buy new ones, just prior to our next long road trip.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts