Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was driving past the local Pontiac dealer and I saw they had a solstice out front. I started to wonder if there was a chance they would let me sit in it to see if I fit to make sure I wanted to buy my SKY. I was afraid they would try to make me buy it of course, and they did. But the funny part was, it was a red one and appeared to be totally stock, with the sticker in the window....you sitting down?...take a deep breath.......$32K....HAHAHAHA:lol: :lol: The salesguy that came out to open the door of course told me..."oh you're number 19 for a SKY? well, you could be number 1 and buy this." I laughed and said "have you looked at this car? It doesn't compare to looks with the SKY. And at 13K over MSRP no wonder you have 3 sitting on your lot, good luck." He tried to get my girl who was with me to think about buying it, she said no, then he went in to get someone with more experience, (he looked about 18) and that's when we got in the car and left.
On a good note though, at 6'0" 240lbs I fit just fine. Kind of a bit snugger than I am used to, but I can't complain.
Nothing like buying a car and driving it off the lot at a loss automatically, but a $13K loss? What kind of idiot does that sort of thing. They already have a used solstice at the Ford dealer, won't be too long before they're everywhere, I just hope they make a lot less of our car.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sky "Drive By"

Yesterday my wife and I were driving through a town where I took a demo test ride in a Solstice in February. We decided to drive through the dealer lot to see if they still had a Solstice, and do a comparison. The Solstice was gone, but as we were exiting the lot we noticed all the salesmen running up to the window and staring and pointing as we drove away.

It felt good to know that we bought our Sky at MSRP, while the Pontiac guys laughed at me when I asked if I could order a Solstice at MSRP. Their demo was rough and it was about $2K over MSRP when I drove it in the salt and sand in February.:)

·
Registered
517 Posts
i don't know why anyone would want a solstice, they seem overpriced and dirvers don't seem anywhere near as cute in them. just my thoughts....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
:agree:
I dont want to offend anyone who owns one, to each his or her own, but I personally like the front ends on the Sky's better. But hey, thats just this gals opinion....:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I see the appeal of the Solstice, I said it before here, but it really looks alot better in person... But the Sky just looks better.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Jordan said:
I see the appeal of the Solstice, I said it before here, but it really looks alot better in person... But the Sky just looks better.
I cant imagine anyone picking the solstice over the sky while comparing them side by side. Yes, the sky just looks better.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You guys are so funny! :lol: I bet most of the people who own the Solstice would say the SAME thing you are.

Solstice owner: "I don't know why anyone would buy a Sky, they are overpriced (yes, Saturn dealers are marking them up too) and the Solstice just looks SO much better."

Both are good looking cars. Some will be more attracted to one, others more attracted to the other. People buy what they like best, and big surprise, everyone is different and likely to have different preferences. Even the discussion of which one looks "better" is akin to discussing what flavor of ice cream is best. It simply depends on what you like.

You all prefer the Sky, that is fine. But there is little reason to trash the Solstice or it's owners preference for the car.

(BTW, I doubt Solstice's will be everywhere either, since they are only making about 20,000 per calender year. It's hardly a Mustang... and who really would care if it was that plentiful anyway. There are a million new Mustangs on the road, and people's heads still swivel when one drives by.)

That smug cloud is getting thick around here.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Easy there, I believe most of us (at least myself) said that was our opion (spelling) I never knocked or trashed you car. In fact, if you look back I even said that was my opion. Thats why they make lots of differnt cars. You fill its overpiced, I dont.

·
Registered
727 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Easy there, I believe most of us (at least myself) said that was our opion (spelling) I never knocked or trashed you car. In fact, if you look back I even said that was my opion. Thats why they make lots of differnt cars. You fill its overpiced, I dont.
Editted... sorry, didn't mean to imply I was responding directly to you. The statement I put in quotation marks was meant to be a hypothetical statement by a Solstice fan, mirroring some of the statements I have seen recently on this forum.

I was simply trying to highlight that car styling is a high subjective and a personal preference, and everyone is going to have their own favorites and likes.

I never accused you of trashing "my" car, and I do not in fact own a Solstice for anyone here to have trashed. ;) I think we are thinking more the same thing than the opposite on this. :grouphug:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Let's even it out...a good ole Monster Truck can crush both the sol and sky without even knowing it. $2500 per tire, great view of the world, makes people stare when you drive by, what could compare?:jester:

I loved the Sol...wanted to buy one when I saw it on the Apprentice. Then I ment the Sky and never looked back. I do have to say though that the Sol Race version with the hard top is a REALLY COOL LOOKING CAR!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It is a matter of personal prefference

Styling is subjective, If there was no Sky I would have A Solstice, but I prefer the sharper styling of the Sky to the soft round curves of the Solstice...

I say buy what you like and like what you buy...:thumbs:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
Let's even it out...a good ole Monster Truck can crush both the sol and sky without even knowing it. $2500 per tire, great view of the world, makes people stare when you drive by, what could compare?:jester:

I loved the Sol...wanted to buy one when I saw it on the Apprentice. Then I ment the Sky and never looked back. I do have to say though that the Sol Race version with the hard top is a REALLY COOL LOOKING CAR!!!
A race version of the Sky would look equally cool too! I wonder if GM has any future plans to offer a club sport version of the Sky, like they are for the Sol.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Easy there yourself. I responding to all in the thread in general, and everyone who has been participating in these sorts of threads lately.

Um, this thread and others have implied the Sol is more expensive than the Sky because some people have found Sol's marked up and Sky's at MSRP. I was a) trying to point out many people have found Sky's marked up, and Solforum also has tons of people who have found Sol's at MSRP.

Second, I never said either car was overpriced. My line above, starting with "Solstice Owner" followed by a quote, is a hypothetical statement from a Solstice owner, which mirrors similar statements made by Sky owners and enthusiasts.

Third, nowhere did I say I owned a Solstice, or accuse anyone of trashing it.

Finally, many have been stating they don't know why anyone would by a Solstice, because the Sky looks so much better. Well, what I said is why. Many do NOT think the Sky looks better. They wondered, I responded.

It is simply a matter of taste. I personally like the Sky better, but the Solstice is an attractive that is styled differently. If you prefer the smooth rounded style that has more of a classic roadster look the Solstice is for you. :thumbs:

For me I like the Vette like styling of the Sky! :driving:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I also looked at the solstice before the sky. I thought it was cute but would not have bought one. Then I saw the sky in a small 2"x2" picture in a magazine. I immediately went to the Saturn dealer and told them I would buy it sight unseen and I eventually got the first one in Richmond Va. I believe if the cars were lined up side by side 9 out of 10 people would pick the sky. I have never seen a car so hot. JUST MY OPINION!

·
Registered
727 Posts
richmcc said:

It is simply a matter of taste. I personally like the Sky better, but the Solstice is an attractive that is styled differently. If you prefer the smooth rounded style that has more of a classic roadster look the Solstice is for you. :thumbs:

For me I like the Vette like styling of the Sky! :driving:
Oops, I decided to change my statement but you caught me before I could! :lol: :cheers: It's all good.

All I was really trying to say was both cars look great, some will prefer one, others will prefer the other. I just hate to see this forum (or Solsticeforum for that matter) to really develop an "ours is better than theirs" attitude, because it will lead to more hard feelings and less cooperation between the two communities. Since these cars are basically twins, the more cooperation and information sharing between the two communities, the better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
HotSky said:
I also looked at the solstice before the sky. I believe if the cars were lined up side by side 9 out of 10 people would pick the sky. I have never seen a car so hot. JUST MY OPINION!
We went to the auto show here in Sacramento to see the Solstice. The Sky was there, all roped off, and we could hardly believe our eyes. We did eventually get over to the two Solstices and sat in them, but there was never a doubt for Jack that the Sky was for him. That said, had there been no Sky, we would be Solstice owners by now. Look forward to banding together with all the Sol owners in our area. Heck, Jack got his personalized plate, SLY SKY, to reinforce the Sol connection.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Editted... sorry, didn't mean to imply I was responding directly to you. The statement I put in quotation marks was meant to be a hypothetical statement by a Solstice fan, mirroring some of the statements I have seen recently on this forum.

I was simply trying to highlight that car styling is a high subjective and a personal preference, and everyone is going to have their own favorites and likes.

I never accused you of trashing "my" car, and I do not in fact own a Solstice for anyone here to have trashed. ;) I think we are thinking more the same thing than the opposite on this. :grouphug:
Darling, no harm intended here either. Sorry if I sounded rude, not my intention. I could not agree with you more. I do not like trashing of peoples cars myself. And I agree, we are all one big GM family. :cheers: :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Each man to his own taste, said the farmer when he kissed the cow.... Skip... full of witty sayings on a Sunday eve.....:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Darling, no harm intended here either. Sorry if I sounded rude, not my intention. I could not agree with you more. I do not like trashing of peoples cars myself. And I agree, we are all one big GM family. :cheers: :thumbs:
No problem! :lol: I have a habit of getting fairly sarcastic at times. I think everyone on Sol forum is used to it, but I forget sometimes that I have not been as active posting here, so people won't be used to it. It's all good!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts