Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess should not have got going about rumors, but I cleared the day and was ready to order today. My saleswoman was great with me stopping by and calling through out the day. The General Manager told me not to worry I'm the first on the list and they will call me when I can order. But just like December 2 I guess I will believe it when I see it. This is a great marketing plan raising expectations and feeding the lust.
Whats the latest rumor on forum Monday the 5th ? Way to go on building interest. Bravo Saturn marketing your doing a bang-up job. I mean that sincerely bravo.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
This is a great marketing plan raising expectations and feeding the lust.
Great marketing? It's been anything but! It's been like they've been intentionally getting out of the way of the Solstice. They haven't changed the web site in months. You get more from this site (right or wrong) than you can from Saturn (either from the site or from customer service). Don't even try to get a streight answer from a dealer. Unless you're really low on the waiting list (1 or 2 with deposit) I am doubting their ability to even deliver a car.

At this point they should be giving us something new every week or two. I picture. The sound of the engine or something on the Saturn site. Get us checking back. They arn't using the tools. There is a difference between lust and frustration. A frustrated lover eventually goes elsewhere!

As for the order date I doubt you will see anything until January. My guess from everything I've seen so far is at least the second week. They haven't even shown us the options yet. The only thing we know is exterior colour.

What was the chain of events like for the Solstice? I'd bet we follow the same path for the most part. I wouldn't hold my breath :eek: on placing a order prior to Christmas.

·
Registered
295 Posts
O.K. Here we go.
Let's start with the fact that I am on VACATION and still went in to work to watch the broadcast AND get permission to post facts from the broadcast on here. Folks like me and SKY Dealer, and members of this forum, took tons of pictures and grilled the Saturn Event Team and posted what we could on here. Folks like me have taken some serious heat from Saturn for releasing info that wasn't meant to be released, and turned out to be wrong anyway! (just a note, I was NOT the guilty party) And folks like me and SKY Dealer and others, who put our heart and soul into Saturn, who have taken the public bashings, have wondered about our company's future, who believe so passionately that it hurts sometimes...we try and do all we can, tell Saturn what we think will help our customers, and still...we wake up on Saturday morning and read how awful Saturn is. Remind me again, why are you on this board, and why in the world would you wait for a car that you are so ready to hate the company that built it? If you can do better, trot on up to Michigan and apply for a job at either Saturn or Carlson Marketing.
:::putting on flame retardant suit and taking some Tylenol:::
Jill :brentil:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have to agree with jill on this. yes, we are all eager to know as much about car and its sales. but its still several months out. what they plan to do now, can AND will change as the date draws closer. that's the nature of the beast, i have yet to see 1 plan of this scale go exactly as planned... be it saturn to any other companies out there. it just doesn't happen that way. there will always be some unforeseen scenarios that causes the plan to change.

so guys, keep it cool, keep info coming, but don't expect it to be carved in stone. its just the nature of the beast when it comes to planning.

its people like jill that helps to change the image of a company. because they have a passion for the company. just look at the image of honda when they first came out? it was called the cheapest POS... look where it is now? i believe saturn will change its image in the public as long as the company values their employees that have a passion for the name. :cheers:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Saturn Sales said:
O.K. Here we go.
on up to Michigan and apply for a job at either Saturn or Carlson Marketing......
...Putting on flame retardant suit and taking some Tylenol.....
Jill :brentil:
Hey Jill
Calm down..(please)..
We all love your posts! Even those disappointed souls. Some a just venting their frustration. I don't think anyone is venting at you (although it may seem like it). Some have been waiting for nearly a year (since they first heard of "Sky"). I am one of the lucky ones as I didn't know about the Sky until September or so. I did see the "Saturn Curve" at the Los Angeles auto show and I was googling around when the Sky popped into view. Needless to say my frustration is not as great as those who have been waiting for Saturn to deliver from it's long pregnancy. The wait is about 2/3 to 3/4 over anyway and if I were closer to your dealership I would be looking you up! Besides, those who are venting their anger aren't even your customers. Some are in Timbuktu or Muleshoe or some other god-foresaken place without a reputable dealer..
--I (we) love your posts
ElDeeko

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks...sorry for my own venting...just seems like when I get to a point that I have dealt with my own frustration, I get slammed from the other side with someone else's frustration. I am caught between Saturn and the customers. One signs my paychecks, and the other generates them, yanno? It's been a bad year in the car business, and it just twists me sideways when someone poops on the one ray of sunshine that we are all looking forward to. Thanks again.
Cheers,
Jill

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
vent anyway>>>>>>>

Saturn Sales said:
Thanks...sorry for my own venting...just seems like when I get to a point that I have dealt with my own frustration, I get slammed from the other side with someone else's frustration. I am caught between Saturn and the customers. One signs my paychecks, and the other generates them, yanno? It's been a bad year in the car business, and it just twists me sideways when someone poops on the one ray of sunshine that we are all looking forward to. Thanks again.
Cheers,
Jill
Hey Jill

You vent anyway you want on here, WE all love you just the way you are. It is only frustration on some of us, not knowing enough of what is going on, that is all it is. NONE of it is directed at OUR SATURN FORUM DEALERS.
We all are so happy with any thread of information you give us and we all know that you and others are doing your hardest to keep us in the KNOW!!!

Thank you for taking out of your private vacation time just to find out more information and pass it on. That is the kind of dedication that SATURN needs to see and acknowledge. More salespeople like you and the others on here are needed and Saturn should and must be thankful that you all are going out on a limb to keep us here all going a little longer without blowing our tops in aggrevation.

Keep up the wonderful work, I thank you dearly for all your information and dedication.

Thank you
Kimberly
ChiliSky

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Saturn Sales said:
Cheers,
Jill
Jill,
I again, personally want to thank you for the effort you have put forward to pass on the information that you recieve and passing it on to us. Especially the information yesterday.

In defense of Saturn - Misinformation and missed dates, etc....
I may be wrong but I do not think Saturn has provided any misinformation or any information that was incorrect. Most of the information that has been posted on this board was speculation and was posted with the caveat that it was speculation and rumor. I was disappointed to find that I could not order my Sky yesterday. However, the information provided by SKy Dealer about the WebCast did not say anything about them announcing an ordering date, nor did it say anything about the pricing.

To Saturns and Sky Dealer's credit, The webcast did contain the information that it Sky Dealer said it would. The information while did not specify an ordering date did state that pricing would come out on January 3, 2005 and images in early January.

The only date I have heard officially before the WebCast is Spring of 2006 which still seems possible.

Could they be doing better marketing, probably.

However do they need to be doing more marketing? For the Sky I doubt it, my dealership has something like 80 people who signed up on list out of which 20 to 30 people have deposits. The RUMOR is that they will get about 50 cars, which means that probably have them sold already.

I think they should be marketing the Sky to sell the brand and the existing cars they have.

I think Saturn has done a good job of NOT providing information too soon and then having to correct it. This board does not represent Saturn, is not Sponsored by Saturn and is NOT a source of official information. I do not think it is fair to Saturn be upset at them for information given on this board.

::END RANT::

I enjoy this board very much and appreciate every one on it. However, I try to focus on the common desire for a sky and take the information lightly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see everyone's "frustration" as a result of seeing the car in the winter/spring (I saw it both in Detroit and Cleveland at the shows) and not being able to spend their money on it. I knew right from the first time I saw it under the lights I was in for a year plus long wait.

The only let down I could have is on the issue of availability. I am waiting to find out if the dealer closest to me will even be getting any. Many local Pontiac stores haven't gotten allocated one Solstice yet. It will probably be the big retailers getting as many as they want with the smaller town dealers getting zilch.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some or speculative info is better than nothing

Hi Jill,
I can feel for what you are going through. But anything is better than nothing. Saturn is going to make Sky owners hardcore, by staying silent, and throwing little bits here and there. It builds the suspense for the ending. This car has captured the imagination of its future buyers, and that is great for your sales. When the car is finally released you will have tons of new traffic through your showroom. Then all the headaches will be worth it. Keep up the info, and thank you for your trouble.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Jill when all is said and done you still fill out them ther jeans pretty damn good. I guess you coulda been the Saturn pin-up girl of olden days but I will take what I can get. As to the Sky , just remember that everything comes to he who waits the longest. It is like the longest time I know to wait for a ROADSTER, but it makes the wait worthwhile when all the strings come together and make a rope to climb out of that hole you think your in. And lo and behold a Sky awaits you in all its color and machined edges. It's like what I go through every breath I take. Waiting to get on the lung transplant list before I am to far gone to enjoy the Sky for at least 3 years before my last breath is taken. The docs at Vanderbilt have said that I get on the list on Valentine's Day. It will be the love of my life to be on that list and the Sky list for delivery in whatever the BOSS MAN Upstairs decides to do . My Freinds on this FORUM do not be disheartend. Waiting is everthing weather for love ,a meal, a lung, or a SKY. Skip out for the count because my fingers damn well hurt from typing. :cheers: :cheers: :cool:

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
Automatic or Stick

Good news from Saturn Communications...they stated that both will be available simultaneously. Ragtop will come either beige or black...aside from the interior colors you have seen, there will be a two tone beige and black...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Saturn Sales said:
O.K. Here we go.
Folks like me and SKY Dealer, and members of this forum, took tons of pictures and grilled the Saturn Event Team and posted what we could on here. Folks like me have taken some serious heat from Saturn for releasing info that wasn't meant to be released, :brentil:
We here appreciate your efforts! Very much so. I review a lot of the postings here. I don't recall anyone giving you a hard time for your efforts. Saturn has dropped the ball. The whole marketing effort has been a non event to this point. They (Saturn marketing) should be using this forum as a tool to give us correct and timely information.

I guess the problem is that Saturn has never had to deal with this kinda excitement around a car that Saturn has produced before and I can only assume that they don't know how to handle it. They should be building excitement not frustration. :banghead: :mad: :brentil:

Addendum:

I was just on the Saturn Canada web page. They get less to work with as you can see but that site in some ways is better than the US site. No churping birds, no calm and quiet. It's a sports car. The Saturn marketing team did a great job with the commercial we saw a few weeks ago. Why not more of this?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
rick112 said:
We here appreciate your efforts! Very much so. I review a lot of the postings here. I don't recall anyone giving you a hard time for your efforts. Saturn has dropped the ball. The whole marketing effort has been a non event to this point. They (Saturn marketing) should be using this forum as a tool to give us correct and timely information.

I guess the problem is that Saturn has never had to deal with this kinda excitement around a car that Saturn has produced before and I can only assume that they don't know how to handle it. They should be building excitement not frustration. :banghead: :mad: :brentil:

Addendum:

I was just on the Saturn Canada web page. They get less to work with as you can see but that site in some ways is better than the US site. No churping birds, no calm and quiet. It's a sports car. The Saturn marketing team did a great job with the commercial we saw a few weeks ago. Why not more of this?
Rick, I'm a bit baffled by your expectations. What would be the point of spending millions upon millions of dollars to promote a car that can't be ordered for another 6 weeks? I also would like to see more, but a marketing blitz at this point would be a bit absurd. Sure the marketing effort thus far is a non-event. At this point, its still a non-car. They should step things up when orders can be placed and go all out when the demo cars hit the dealers.

As for using this forum to give us more information, it's an enthusiast forum. Saturn and its marketing department have nothing to do with it other than very likely viewing it. Official sources of information are their communications to dealers, Saturn.com, and the FastLane blog.

The people Saturn marketing needs to inform the most at this point are the dealers. That way, when someone asks them questions, their employees can give actual valid responses instead of speculating or making stuff up as some do. When the dealers get info, as we saw Friday, it gets passed on to us within minutes anyway, thanks to people like SS and SD.

Keep in mind that as we saw with the Solstice launch new car (or any product) releases are very fluid processes and things like dates and features can and do change frequently. Nothing should be announced until they know exactly what they can deliver and when. Remember that the launch date is still at least three and a half months away.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
reedred:

I'm not asking for Millions in Marketing at this point. A few changes here and there to the web site. A schedule of events where the car can be seen would have been nice a few months ago. The car was on tour then!

This is the SKY enthusiast's web site. So give us a little something more. This is a big concentration of possible Sky owners.

I'm not asking for a the big push at this point. Just something. Give us a little every couple of weeks. Reward us! Keep us interested. Keep the buz going.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
I guess should not have got going about rumors, but I cleared the day and was ready to order today. My saleswoman was great with me stopping by and calling through out the day. The General Manager told me not to worry I'm the first on the list and they will call me when I can order. But just like December 2 I guess I will believe it when I see it. This is a great marketing plan raising expectations and feeding the lust.
Whats the latest rumor on forum Monday the 5th ? Way to go on building interest. Bravo Saturn marketing your doing a bang-up job. I mean that sincerely bravo.
Sorry you got your hopes up for something that was never promoted by GM or Saturn as being an official customer date. The Dec 2nd was only officially known to be the broadcast event that went on. There was never any official information stating people could start ordering that day. The information posted by our Saturn dealer members gives a pretty good idea when ordering will start.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
rick112 said:
Great marketing? It's been anything but! It's been like they've been intentionally getting out of the way of the Solstice. They haven't changed the web site in months. You get more from this site (right or wrong) than you can from Saturn (either from the site or from customer service). Don't even try to get a streight answer from a dealer. Unless you're really low on the waiting list (1 or 2 with deposit) I am doubting their ability to even deliver a car.

At this point they should be giving us something new every week or two. I picture. The sound of the engine or something on the Saturn site. Get us checking back. They arn't using the tools. There is a difference between lust and frustration. A frustrated lover eventually goes elsewhere!

As for the order date I doubt you will see anything until January. My guess from everything I've seen so far is at least the second week. They haven't even shown us the options yet. The only thing we know is exterior colour.

What was the chain of events like for the Solstice? I'd bet we follow the same path for the most part. I wouldn't hold my breath :eek: on placing a order prior to Christmas.
At this point they're putting forth MORE effort then they did with the Solstice release. Also what's the point of over hyping a car you can't even order yet? The main marketing push will start when the car can be ordered. It was the same with the Solstice.

As I mentioned GM and Saturn are putting forward a lot more information and updates then they ever did with the Solstice at this point. You already have color choices with a selector tool and images on the website. Lists of locations to see the car. Cars at dealerships and tons of shows. Information mail items sent out. You know pretty much all the official option choices. You can go see Solstices and test drive them at ASiM events to get an idea what the car is like. etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
When I think about it, I did not find out about the Solstice after I heard about the Sky. While I have seen glimpses of the Solstice in Pontiac TV Ads I have not seen an add that I would call a Solstice Ad. Saturn however, has a "Sky" ad, a very good one that they showed on the MTV awards.

Even with the limited marketing for the Sky and the Solstice my understanding is they expect to Sell out the allocation for this year for both cars. So I am not sure that they need to be marketing the car.

Maybe Saturn Sales or Sky Dealer can correct me on this. But I was at my Dealer when the Webcast was going on Friday. However, I only heard bits and pieces, one of which was about the Dealers having in house car to drive. The other piece sounded to me that they were asking Dealers not to oversell the cars because it would end up causing customer dissatisfaction. That maybe part of the reason for the low key.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm a little concerned about this "house car" concept. If initial allocations are limited to one or two cars per dealer on the first delivery, those of us at or near the #1 spot on the wait list will be livid to wait for our cars while the dealer has one in the showroom. This is particularly disturbing since CLEARLY they will be able to sell out the entire first year production without any further marketing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brentil said:
You already have color choices with a selector tool and images on the website. Lists of locations to see the car. Cars at dealerships and tons of shows.

Where is this info at on the Sky page? All I see on the Sky website is a photo gallary and a small section on the cars features. NO color selector and NO lists of where the car is going to be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts