Saturn Sky Forum banner

What are the important differences?

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  DSqr 
#1 ·
I have been reading both this forum and the Sol forum. Other than the cosmetic differences on the nose, what are the differences in these two cars? I'm not starting an argument about which is better, I'm just trying to find out what's different.

#2 · (Edited)
On the technical side, there are some differences...

(Updated with corrections)

• The SKY is edgy whereas the Solstice is curvy.
  • The SKY interior has chrome and "piano black" accents, the Solstice is more plastic.
  • The layout of the dashboard is totally different.
  • The SKY has a slightly smoother ride than in the Solstice due to bump stop changes and re-tuned shocks.
  • The SKY has a lot more standard features (Air Conditioning, Power Windows and Locks, Power Remote Mirrors, OnStar...) but these are available on the Solstice if you want them.
  • The SKY base price is more than the Solstice; if you add the SKY standard equipment to the Solstice as options, they cost pretty much the same.
  • The SKY has an available super-cool RED LEATHER interior. That isn't available on the Solstice.
  • All SKY interiors are basic BLACK, with optional Tan and Red leather inserts. Solstice interiors are more pastel gray and tan (labeled "steel" and "sand.")
  • SKYs come in Blue, and Green, and Red and colors like that. Along with "steel" and "sand" for the interior, the Solstice has wacky exterior color names like "deep" and "mysterious" and "moody" and "frigid" and "humorless" - stuff like that. (Sorry, I just could not help myself. :lol: )
  • There will only be half as many SKYs as Solstices (at least that's the current ratio.)
  • SKYs are serviced at Saturn dealerships with Saturn policies, Solstices are serviced at Pontiac dealerships with Pontiac policies.
  • The SKY, being a newer car, has fewer aftermarket accessories than the Solstice. Not all accessories for the Solstice will properly fit the SKY, and vice versa. Many times, these are just aesthetic considerations (for example, a round exhaust port looks perfect on a Solstice, but doesn't look right on the edgy SKY. Ground effects kits for the Solstice will not fit the SKY, and there are no SKY ground effects kits for the SKY as of now.)
  • The edgy SKY will be offered with different badging on the same styling package - Saturn, Opel, and Daewoo. The curvy Solstice is always a Pontiac, at least for now.
  • As of now, SKYs are harder to get than Solstices (higher premiums, longer waitlists.)
    [*]The SKY has two added "supports" in the trunk that break up the single "large" (ha!) storage area in the Solstice into three smaller subdivisions of the same space.
Perhaps the biggest difference that I noticed is that some of the people that sit in Solstices apparently can't take a joke, and some of the people that sit in SKYs are JERKS. (At least that's what I've been told.)

#4 ·
jdigiant said:
Perhaps the biggest difference that I noticed is that some of the people that sit in Solstices apparently can't take a joke, and some of the people that sit in SKYs are JERKS. (At least that's what I've been told.)
Wow!!! Did I miss a fight or something? Seems to be a hostile fog in the air tonight.

Did any of the mods have to bust out the censorship stick? Where is the thread that started all this?

I miss all the good stuff.

#6 ·
CdnSkyGuy said:
Wow!!! Did I miss a fight or something? Seems to be a hostile fog in the air tonight.
I REALLY am not trying to start a fight. I just wanted the facts, and now have them.

#8 ·
CdnSkyGuy said:

Did any of the mods have to bust out the censorship stick? Where is the thread that started all this?

I miss all the good stuff.
I don't think I've been censored yet. Just search the forum for "JERK" and you'll find lots of replies to my posts. I am on my way to building a reputation, and so rather than fight it, I decided to run with it! :thumbs:

You see, I am fascinated by the differences between the people and the culture that surround the two cars. Every time I try to explore these differences, I get called a JERK. You should see my PMs! Wow! They provide hours of amusement in and of themselves. To me, the emotion in the response is incredible. There must be something there... And when I explore it a little more, KAPOW! It's like touching an electrified fence or something.

I post something thoughtful like "One difference is that there will be more Solstices than SKYs. The SKY owners can say that this will make their car more rare and special, while Solstice owners can rightfully claim that their car is more popular as more of them will have been sold."

And then I get, "SKYs are NOT more special than Solstices. They are the same car. You are a JERK!"

That's all. I will continue to explore the differences. And I will continue to make jokes where I feel that the potential for humor exists. If I can make the Solstice the butt of my jokes, I will gladly do that.* If I can make myself the butt of my jokes, then I will do that, too.

And I often do. :skep:

* For me, one of the silliest things about the Solstice is the color palette. Imagine having to be a Solstice sales guy responding to a customer that asks what colors you have on the lot. You get to say something like:

Sales: "Yes, sir. We have Pure, Deep and Sly." :lol:

Customer: "Oh, I was looking for a green one."

Sales: "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't expect any Envious until next week." :lol: :lol:

Customer: "What?"

Sales: "Pure, Deep and Sly we can get you today. We're expecting Envious next week."

Customer: "Why so mysterious?"

Sales: "Ah. We don't get that until a week from next Thursday." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Customer: "I just want an answer! Don't make me get agressive with you..."

Sales: "Agressive? You can't get Agressive with us; we can't keep those on the lot!"

Come on! It's HILARIOUS! Some marketing type at Pontiac said, "Let's make the Solstice colors 'Fun!'" And the folks on the Solstice Forum? They have fun with it, too... "We had a rally last Sunday, and we had two Pure and one Cool. Suzie was supposed to show up in her Mysterious, but she never made it. We don't know why."

Then I try to have fun with it, and I get whacked.

Disembodied Disgruntled Solstice-Owner Voice said:
Hey! You on the SKY forum! Quit making fun of our cars! You're a JERK!

#9 ·
I can't believe anyone who drives a silver sky could be a jerk. A little arrogant maybe, but not a jerk.:lol:

#10 ·
jdigiant said:
On the technical side, there are some differences...

• The SKY has a slightly smoother ride due to more travel in the suspension than in the Solstice.
  • The SKY costs more than the Solstice; if you add the SKY standard equipment to the Solstice, they cost pretty much the same.

• Small corrections, but decent list.

The SKY has a slightly more refined ride, but the suspension travel is the SAME as the Solstice. The differences are in bump stop changes and re-tuned shocks.

Comparably equipped, the SKY and Solstice are basically the same price. The Solstice achieves a lower BASE price because many of the features that are optional on the Solstice are standard on the SKY. (AC, power windows/doorlocks/mirrors, OnStar).

Semantics, I know, but technially, the SKY doesn't cost more than the Solstice, comparably equipped. If you were comparing the SKY to an MX-5, it would be "comparably equipped" to decide if an MX-5 is more expensive.

#13 ·
KappaMan said:
The Solstice achieves a lower BASE price because many of the features that are optional on the Solstice are standard on the SKY. (AC, power windows/doorlocks/mirrors, OnStar).
Soes the Sol offer a button for the power locks?

#14 ·
I'm getting (hopefully) a GXP but wanted to share some thoughts on the obvious passion put in to the comparison of Sky and Solstice. Keep in mind, these are only my personal considerations. First, I view them as the same car. The way I'd order mine, the price is identical. I went with the GXP over the RL simply because I was able to get a better position on a dealers list making it more likely that I'll actually receive one. If it went the other way I would have gone with the RL not feeling I had lost or gained anything. Compared to the passion expressed here and on the Solstice forum, I guess I'd place myself in the "dispassionate" camp. Now for some real blasphomy, had it not been for the GXP and RL I would never have considered either base model. For what you give up (which is well documented throughout the forum) over an MX-5, neither base model offered enough to overcome the deficits. With 260HP, StabiliTrak, dual exhaust, and a tighter suspension, the RL and GXP are in a different league (to me).

My comments on the list:

jdigiant said:
  • The SKY is edgy whereas the Solstice is curvy.

• I like the more simple look of the Solstice. More a matter of personal taste than which is "better." Interestingly, the RL with its chrome trim looks better in dark colors whereas the GXP with everything blacked out looks better in lighter/brighter colors. I feel a roadster looks best in lighter/brighter colors. Again, a matter of personal preference.

[*]The SKY interior has chrome and "piano black" accents, the Solstice is more plastic.
    They're both "more plastic" - just presented differently. I like the layout of the Sky dash better but am not a real fan of the piano (shiny) black plastic. GM could have done better with both, especially as the cars near $30K fully optioned.

[*]The layout of the interiors is totally different.
    The appearance is different, the layout is the same. The placement of some of the controls and lack of interior storage space is equally stupid on both cars.

[*]The SKY has a slightly smoother ride than in the Solstice due to bump stop changes and re-tuned shocks.
    Hey, if it means something to base owners of either the Solstice or Sky to claim different/better suspension tuning - bully. I think the RL/GXP share a suspension anyway.

[*]The SKY has a lot more standard features (Air Conditioning, Power Windows and Locks, Power Remote Mirrors, OnStar...) but these are available on the Solstice if you want them.
    If the cars end up delivered the same way, what difference does it make whether more option boxes are check to make them comperable?

[*]The SKY base price is more than the Solstice; if you add the SKY standard equipment to the Solstice as options, they cost pretty much the same.
    Same point as above.

[*]The SKY has an available super-cool RED LEATHER interior. That isn't available on the Solstice.
    I like the red interior as it's especially fitting for a roadster. I would have gotten it had I gotten a RL. I'm fine with the ebony with red stitching which is the only "special" interior available on the Solstice.

[*]All SKY interiors are basic BLACK, with optional Tan and Red leather inserts. Solstice interiors are more pastel gray and tan (labeled "steel" and "sand.")
    Without question, the Sky offers more/better interior color choices. Still not a fan of the piano (shiny) black trim though.

[*]SKYs come in Blue, and Green, and Red and colors like that. Along with "steel" and "sand" for the interior, the Solstice has wacky exterior color names like "deep" and "mysterious" and "moody" and "frigid" and "humorless" - stuff like that. (Sorry, I just could not help myself. :lol: )
    Who cares after delivery? Do you think a red Solstice owner's going to tell a valet I'm driving the "aggressive" Solstice.

[*]There will only be half as many SKYs as Solstices (at least that's the current ratio.)
    Yeah, and the Saturn dealers are having a blast marking them up to extraordinary levels. When chastised about blatant mark-ups by Saturn Corporate, they started charging $3K for a $299.00 alarm system. This isn't a benefit.

[*]SKYs are serviced at Saturn dealerships with Saturn policies, Solstices are serviced at Pontiac dealerships with Pontiac policies.
    This so depends on the dealer. I traded my last car in simply because I hated the dealer I had to use to service the car. There are good and bad Saturn and Pontiac dealers.

[*]The SKY, being a newer car, has fewer aftermarket accessories than the Solstice. Not all accessories for the Solstice will properly fit the SKY, and vice versa. Many times, these are just aesthetic considerations (for example, a round exhaust port looks perfect on a Solstice, but doesn't look right on the edgy SKY. Ground effects kits for the Solstice will not fit the SKY, and there are no SKY ground effects kits for the SKY as of now.)
    This could be a big deal to the 5-10% of owners that care.

[*]The edgy SKY will be offered with different badging on the same styling package - Saturn, Opel, and Daewoo. The curvy Solstice is always a Pontiac, at least for now.
    And unless you travel to Korea or Germany, what difference does it make?

[*]As of now, SKYs are harder to get than Solstices (higher premiums, longer waitlists.)
    Now there's a real benefit.

[*]The SKY has two added "supports" in the trunk that break up the single "large" (ha!) storage area in the Solstice into three smaller subdivisions of the same space.

The trunk on both cars is a joke.

Whatever. I'm buying a car - not joining a cult. I've had "it" cars before but after the scarcity goes away, they too become "just" cars.

#15 ·
jarcher said:
Soes the Sol offer a button for the power locks?
Yes the button is there in a very convenient, easy to reach spot... But no power locks. When you add the locks -- no button!!
:banghead:

I'M KIDDING!!:thumbs:

#16 · (Edited)
I made another adjustment to my list, changing the phrase that the layout of the "interior" was totally different to the layout of the "dashboard" was totally different. This is particularly noticeable in the center layout over the shifter and they way that it integrates with the main instrument cluster. I have attached photos for comparison. That's what I really meant, but I used an ambiguous term.

I thank BarryH for his comments, but the point was that I listed the "differences," allowing the individual to decide what was important or not. I don't think I said anywhere which is better, other than stating that the Solstice uses wacky color names and that the Solstice interior is "more plastic." But nowhere did I say that boring color names were better, or that having extra bling in the cockpit was better. They are just different.

I also clearly pointed out that the base price was different, and that the Solstice could be equipped to be comparable to the SKY for a comparable price. BarryH asks, "What difference does it make..." The difference that it makes is that the base price of the SKY is different from the Sosltice because it is better equipped. Without pointing out this difference (and it is a difference, whether BarryH considers it important to him or not) a buyer might mistakenly believe that a SKY costs more than the Solstice, and all that you are getting is the different sheet metal. That is clearly not the case, and buyers need to be aware of that.

I also did not go into the differences between the base models and the turbo variants. This was a comparison of the SKY and Solstice base models only, although some features such as trunk layout and interior color options would be the same for both base and turbo variants.

Attachments

#17 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
Yes the button is there in a very convenient, easy to reach spot... But no power locks. When you add the locks -- no button!!:banghead:
I'M KIDDING!!:thumbs:
You're a JERK! Quit making fun of the Solstice! It's the same as the SKY!

(Hmmm... Somehow I don't see what's supposed to be so pleasureable about calling somebody else a JERK. This is going to require further research...)

#18 ·
I am going to let this go because I know you are joking, jdigant - but even in jest, it is against the rules to call people names - even in response to someone calling you a name.

If someone has called you a jerk, (honestly - I can't read every thread here, so I prolly have missed it) let one of the moderators or supermoderators or me or brentil know. It's against the rules, and we'll take care of it appropriately.

#19 ·
KappaMan said:
I am going to let this go because I know you are joking, jdigant - but even in jest, it is against the rules to call people names - even in response to someone calling you a name.

If someone has called you a jerk, (honestly - I can't read every thread here, so I prolly have missed it) let one of the moderators or supermoderators or me or brentil know. It's against the rules, and we'll take care of it appropriately.
Hey He didn't call me a name -- I am a jerk -- ask my wife!!:lol: :lol:

. o O(looking for that button that came off)

#20 ·
The differences are enough so that we have two American Roadsters that finally give us choices. No one at Pontica needs to worry and no one at Saturn needs to look over their shoulder. The differences are enough to keep both camps happy. However if I was a certain import roadster who decided to add some wheel flairs to hide the bar of soap... I'd be worried:thumbs:

#21 ·
KappaMan said:
I'm sorry. I'll be good.

I've been called a JERK a few times. It doesn't bother me none... Been called worse other places, you know!

By the way, you mods do a super job. Really. You do. And you don't get enough credit.

#22 ·
the difference

I've been playing with roadsters since the early 1960's. I've lusted over Healy's, and Triumphs, and MG's, but the only common thread is that after you've run a series of twisties, like the dragon, the only thing that matters comes in a glass with brown liquids, presented at the end of a run at the end of a day that can't be compared to anything else that you can remember.....since yesterday.

God Bless the Sky (or at least what I think it will be)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:willy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.