Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this might be a long shot, but what are these wires? I just bought a 2008 Sky Redline As a project to tinker with. Overall a good car with a lot of great qualities. There is a few known issues (water pump and AC/heater blower relay).
While in the process of tearing down the car to get to the water pump I noticed these 2 wires. It appears they were snipped from the wiring harness and re-routed in to the cab.
the previous owner put in an amp and had a additional speaker on the passenger floor.It looks like the wires heading back into the can are the same color/gauge as the one to the amp. But what do these wiresdo in the original wiring harness?

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
What color are they, and what connector is that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What color are they, and what connector is that?
They are green coming from the wiring harness. In terms of connector, this is the connector on the passenger side, right next to the door.
the reason I think those wires are “related” is because they are green coming from harness by out of the passenger door and there are 2 green short stubbies (cut wires) coming from connector itself.

here is the picture of location of connector.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Connector X600: Passenger Door Harness to IP Body Harness is located there and is a 16-pin connector with 2 unused pins, and 3 green wires.

B: 0.8mm (18 ga) D-GN: Right Speaker (-)
C: 0.8mm (18 ga) L-GN: Right Speaker (+)
J: 3.0mm (12 ga) D-GN: RAP Fuse (+)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I wonder if he went ahead and tapped into the speaker wires and pushed them through the amp that way? I’ll play with it and will most likely disconnect, solder the 2 green wires, and return back to stock.
Separate question, would you know what this wire is for? It leads me to believe that it is stock due to red overspray from the positive terminal on the fuse box. But it runs along the passenger window to the driver side and then is run Up inside driver window pillar. Is this the power for the mirror?

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
For all its faults, GM would never do that. That is definitely owner-inflicted, and if there is overspray on it your car has apparently been repainted.

That is the Crank Relay (I think) and I cannot imagine the purpose of those wires. Certainly worthy of investigation and removal. That relay is also missing its cover.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that’s the case, then I think I know what that is. There is a push button start installed. The wire looks like it runs up the pillar but it could very well just run into the dash.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
If that’s the case, then I think I know what that is. There is a push button start installed. The wire looks like it runs up the pillar but it could very well just run into the dash.
That makes sense given the "connection" at the relay.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
So that's how you hotwire the solstice? :sneaky:

No. All that does is operate the starter. To actually start the car you have to power it using the ignition switch and satisfy the VATS that your key is legitimate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When pulling the AC blower resister and the burnt wiring harness, I noticed this yellow wire. Is this factory or another surprise nugget from the previous owner? If factory, what does it go to? Last picture is of it being spliced into the middle of another yellow wire in the harness...
It looks like it runs under the Scuff trim plate. I haven’t pulled it back yet to see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Any open unbundled wire like that is NOT factory. What also gives it away is that the factory NEVER uses wire T-taps like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any open unbundled wire like that is NOT factory. What also gives it away is that the factory NEVER uses wire T-taps like that.
Ha! Thanks! I figured it was another surprise. Now to trace it and see where in the heck that thing is going. Curious what the yellow wire is in the harness that this one is T-taped into...

·
Registered
110 Posts
By chance did you buy this car from a gentleman in Liberty, Texas?

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Ha! Thanks! I figured it was another surprise. Now to trace it and see where in the heck that thing is going. Curious what the yellow wire is in the harness that this one is T-taped into...
If the yellow wire goes into the connector that is shown in the picture it is most likely the fog lamp control, a low-power wire that operates the fog lamp relay in the underhood fuse block.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the yellow wire goes into the connector that is shown in the picture it is most likely the fog lamp control, a low-power wire that operates the fog lamp relay in the underhood fuse block.
Thank you again JohnWR. The yellow wire seems to be running behind the fuse box and which connector it plugs into, I can’t tell 🤷‍♂️

On a different note, tonight I took the driver fender off to get to the ECU to check if anything funky is going on with the VSS wiring and found this wiring debacle. The three musketeers are pictured below. It looks to be a 10 pin connector right above the ECM. The wire completely separated is red and white, the 2nd wire is grey, and the 3rd wire is brown (or orange). I don’t know what the wires are to, but my obvious plan is to fix the issue and whatever didn’t work before should likely work now, but it would be nice to know what these wires control? All 3 seem to be right next to each other.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Thank you again JohnWR. The yellow wire seems to be running behind the fuse box and which connector it plugs into, I can’t tell 🤷‍♂️

On a different note, tonight I took the driver fender off to get to the ECU to check if anything funky is going on with the VSS wiring and found this wiring debacle. The three musketeers are pictured below. It looks to be a 10 pin connector right above the ECM. The wire completely separated is red and white, the 2nd wire is grey, and the 3rd wire is brown (or orange). I don’t know what the wires are to, but my obvious plan is to fix the issue and whatever didn’t work before should likely work now, but it would be nice to know what these wires control? All 3 seem to be right next to each other.
Have you found out where the "new" wire that is spliced to the yellow wire goes?
Did you trace the wire from the VSS to see how it is routed to the ECM?
Coincidentally (or not) the signal wire from the VSS to the ECM is yellow.

The connector with the spliced wires appears to be one of the two driver door harness connectors:

The row closer to the locking tab:
A: GY: Left Speaker (-)
B: TN: Left Speaker (+)
C: GY: Door Lock Actuator Lock Control
D: TN: Door Lock Actuator Unlock Control
E: GY: IP Lamp Supply Voltage

F: OG/WH: Passenger Mirror Motor Up Control
G: PU/WH: Passenger Mirror Motor Left Control
H: TN/WH: Right Mirror Motor Supply Voltage
J: RD/WH: Battery Positive Voltage to Mirror Control Switch
K: GY/BK: Left Front Door Ajar Signal

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The yellow wire that was T’d off was running to the amp. Not sure what it did, but it’s gone now.

Alright, another question... All wrong wiring that I know of has been wired back to OEM. But when I got under the dash, I noticed a 3 pin connector unplugged. What is this 3 pin connector to? The wires running to it are blue/white, green, and Orange/black. Where does this connector plug in to? It wa Wright under the hood release.

another unknown, is this 2 pin connector that looks like has a dud plugged in to it? Or what is this? It was taped together to the wires leading to the OBD connector. The wires into it are brown and brown/black.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
The 3-pin matches the description of the connector for the Clutch Pedal Position Sensor. The sensor is at the pivot of the clutch pedal.

If the wires are Tan and Tan/Black, the 2-pin connector is the Data Link Resistor, so that is normal.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts