Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
there looks like two panels one on each side the silver part of the buttresses,(one on each buttress) Does anyone know what they are for or even if they do anything?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're talking about. Why don't you find some pics.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i see what he's talking about... on that silver strip, on either side of the car there are two panels, openings, doors, plates, whatever you want to call them.

my guess is that when the top goes up, the cloth would have clearance, but the support structure and rods would hit the silver strip and not work. so they put a little cutout there. when the top goes up, the strips should open (facing the back) and allow the supports for the roof to come up.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
swatthefly said:
i see what he's talking about... on that silver strip, on either side of the car there are two panels, openings, doors, plates, whatever you want to call them.

my guess is that when the top goes up, the cloth would have clearance, but the support structure and rods would hit the silver strip and not work. so they put a little cutout there. when the top goes up, the strips should open (facing the back) and allow the supports for the roof to come up.
I thought it may have something to do with the top mechanicals, I wish someone would get a picture of the inside of the top when it is up, like the roof area and back window area when raised... maybe someone on the Solstice forum has a picture like that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
classic66vair said:
I thought it may have something to do with the top mechanicals, I wish someone would get a picture of the inside of the top when it is up, like the roof area and back window area when raised... maybe someone on the Solstice forum has a picture like that.
they do. i'd link, but im at work and more than one window is hard to minimize quickly when the boss walks by. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
554 Posts
There are some pictures on the Solsticeforum.com that shows them. They do allow the top hardware to extend toward the car when the top is up. The panels open downward to allow this function then pop back up into place with the top is down.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Ahhh ok, got you now.

swatthefly said:

Correct. When the top goes up those two little flaps fold downwards into the trunk to permit the roof support structure to pass through. This is required due to how the Kappas store the roof completely in the trunk. A lot of vehicles like the Miata have an open area behind the seats where the roof is exposed that stores the roof outside of the trunk. It permits for more trunk usage with top down and not needing the access panels, but in my opinion does not look as nice as a design like the Kappas with their hidden roof.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brentil said:
Ahhh ok, got you now.

Correct. When the top goes up those two little flaps fold downwards into the trunk to permit the roof support structure to pass through. This is required due to how the Kappas store the roof completely in the trunk. A lot of vehicles like the Miata have an open area behind the seats where the roof is exposed that stores the roof outside of the trunk. It permits for more trunk usage with top down and not needing the access panels, but in my opinion does not look as nice as a design like the Kappas with their hidden roof.
Thanks to everyone for answering my question, it was just another of those mysteries i had not seen addressed before, since so many people had griped about the antenna and stuff i had wondered why this had never come up....ps about the radio antenna and people saying it looks Cheap... look at the one on the BMW Z4....I don't see anyone complaining about a car costing 7,000 dollars more having an exposed antenna...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to also thank those that expressed concern for my wife... we are working through this together, and I hope some how she beat this terrible cancer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts