Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Regarding bigger brakes, wheels, and tires.

I was surprised that the chrome plated 5-spoke wheels with tires is so very heavy. Adding bigger brakes will increase unsprung weight even further. Pay attention to the weight of larger aftermarket wheels and tires and brakes. Less unsprung weight should improve ride-quality and performance handling.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Work done in 2021 since pulling our Sky out from winter storage
  • new front bumper chrome piece
  • new trunk liner
  • new exterior chrome door handles
  • tweaked passenger door glass to align perfect to the convertible top
  • replaced amber side markers with LED black-out versions

Still remaining (much already purchased)
  • replace valve cover gasket
  • replace all fluids
  • replace all shocks (fronts are pre-loaded with new coil springs)
  • replace front lower air duct (and maybe something else related if needed)
  • replace all brake rotors & pads (paint front & clean rear calipers), everything for aesthetic reasons alone
  • replace OEM blacked-out rear center back-up lens with a clear one
  • get the rear bumper skin repainted by a friend who owns a body shop (clear coat on the top surface by the trunk lid flaking has gotten worse over the winter)

I promised my wife I would complete touching-up the finish on our kitchen cabinets before working on the Sky again. I am close to finishing that project.

Here was my clear coat problem last fall. It is worse this spring.

Money Pit continues to live up to it's name, but I am enjoying it. Hey, I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, no spending of money on such things. I figure I am entitled to get Money Pit up to a high standard. I am so upside-down in this investment and it's okay. If I ever sold the car, the buyer would get an exceptional deal.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This is not a koombaya forum...
Haha, We don't want to [email protected] each other off so bad that we don't want to hang around here.

MM, you remind me of my brother-in-law. He gets going with his zinger comments and there is no stopping him, yet we love him just the same.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
For some reason, the outer lower window rubber moulding on the driver’s side of mine was quite rough to the touch and pretty well dried out.
Passenger side was smooth and nice as a baby’s bottom.
Took some 600 paper and carefully wet sanded it, treated it with a combination of snake oil products I have.
Let it sit with stuff on it for a day, and it’s good as new.
I use a little lacquer thinner on a rag. It quickly takes off the oxidized rubber leaving the rest looking good as new. It's the same process used for restoring old windshield wipers.

Reactions: tchr49

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I don't believe the shark antenna I installed would fit on a Sky with a rear spoiler due to an interference.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I put a full tank of gas in for the first time , I've fought the slow fill since I got the car...
View attachment 116418
Even the connection hoses where full of charcoal, no guessing if it went bad!
Wow!....That does not look right. This is the first I seen of charcoal coming out of the canister. I imagine that will mess up the EVAP system really good and potentially affect the filling of gasoline.

"Slow Filling Of Gasoline" is a popular subject on this forum. Most people assume the coin size spring-loaded filler tube door/flapper falls inside and blocks the flow of fuel, but I never read of anyone actually finding the coin blocking the flow of fuel. I wonder if the problem all along is what you discovered.

I know there is a very long extended warranty on emission systems on all vehicles required by law, but I think every Sky has lived beyond it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There is a Fibrenew in Palatine. Give them a call and get an estimate.
I did.

Bill there quoted between $7000 and $9000 for a full re-coloring except the carpets. His price considers that I would have every part removed, cleaned, and staged in my garage. His is exclusively a mobile service.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
.......does anyone know if that Cable can be adjust to be a bit tighter? It seems like my cable is just a little bit too lose to make the flaps open fast enough...IMHO
Yes, bend the bracket that the cable is secured to. We all have bent that bracket(s) for improved flapper door action.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hi tchr49,

You mentioned the need to "tweak" your new fenders that were manufactured by Norm. Could you share what the adjustments were?

I have two brand new non-OEM fenders made by DDMWorks that I bought from a forum member. I was going to get them painted but wonder if they need tweaking before painting. I also wonder if the tweaking is something I can handle myself, or if a body shop needs to do the tweaking.

BTW: Your silver fenders look awesome.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hey, you are doing a lot better than me. My low-hanging air scoop was missing, ripped out by a previous owner running over something leaving only remnants at the mounting hardware, and the smooth bottom frontal air duct was so badly damaged that I had to replace it.

Original Air Duct
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Composite material

Automotive exterior Wood Tints and shades Bumper Metal

New Ones
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Rectangle

My Sky has so many new parts on it, I think I made it younger.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Don't be too quick to discard your original front bumper. If it is not cracked up, just dimpled in the front like you show, I understand that can be filled in and repaired nicely. My old 2000 MR2 Spyder had such front bumper damage and was professionally repaired to perfection.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts