Saturn Sky Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 3844 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I remember at the group inservice for new saturn owners at the dealership, we were told that no impact wrenches were used on the saturn production lines or at the dealerships, and advised not to let anyone use one on our car foe such reasons....
I'm not saying you're wrong that no impact wrenches were used, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't used during production simply because of the speed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had added a second horn several months ago for a dual horn sound. After a while it quit working. I found one of my wire splices had come undone. Made a new splice and my horn sounds much better - not the dull single tone.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Dropped mine off at the painters, doing the eyebrows, having the center console that I hydro dipped carbon fiber painted/tinted to match the wheels. Also the steering wheel controls. Also have a set up being done in the stock yellow. Will decide when done which looks the best. Leaning towards the yellow, but have not see it, get it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, here are the new wheels and tires. The tires made an AMAZING difference in the ride. MUCH more smooth. If any of you are still on the Goodyear OEMs, ditch them now for something better. Plus, I don't get any of those annoying tire chirps in 1st or 2nd gear anymore and the control is much better in turns.
Nice wheels..what brand of tires did you choose?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Stayed with OEM size. So far, loving them. I cannot say enough about how much difference they made in the ride.

For what I did with my Sky today.... I left her in the garage so she would stay dry. I don't mind driving her in the rain if it starts after I have left the house, but it was pouring buckets all day so I just let her sleep.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Stayed with OEM size. So far, loving them. I cannot say enough about how much difference they made in the ride.

For what I did with my Sky today.... I left her in the garage so she would stay dry. I don't mind driving her in the rain if it starts after I have left the house, but it was pouring buckets all day so I just let her sleep.

Smoother is one thing, but isn't the grip level much lower? I've never met an all season tire that could remotely hang with a proper summer tire. Granted, the tires on the RL are crazy old and have lost a ton of grip, I have done back to back comparison of the DWS and DW on a different car and the difference in grip was night and day

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Compared to the OEM tires she came with? Not just no, but hell no. Where I am, I do occasionally get snow/ice so I need something that can handle it somewhat. I don't PLAN to go driving in it, but weather is weather. If it weren't for that one little tidbit, I would certainly have gone with DW tires rather than DWS.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Smoother is one thing, but isn't the grip level much lower? I've never met an all season tire that could remotely hang with a proper summer tire.
Which was why I wasn't too troubled by not being able to hang with the fast guys when I went and autocrossed. Cheap $65/tire all season Z rated tires and still just 2-3 seconds behind the fast guys. Sure a nice summer tire will help with that.

And a turbo...

But first I have to figure out my MAF issue. MAF is reading 8.2 cfm on Torque and I have a P103 code. May have got water in the system and hurt the MAF is my guess since I've been having issues lately. Swapped out the old GMPP filter that was on the CAI with a K&N and that seemed to help some of the issues. Tried cleaning the MAF and connectors, no joy there. So now waiting on a new MAF for tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Just watched a video last night of the comparisons between GOOD tires, GOOD coilovers and BOTH. Between the 2, tires won. Add them together and they dropped 2.5 seconds off their lap times. I wish they had done some laps plain stock as well just so there was a baseline. They did mention that after combining the 2 they were discovering that braking was the next limiting factor in their times, so that was the next suggested mod, although they didn't do it on that video.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Oh yea, when the guys at the autocross circuit saw the tires I was running (treadwear rating of 420...you can run tires as low as 200 and lower is grippier. Our stock tires, I believe, are in the 320 range) they mentioned that I would easily pick up 2-4 seconds just with a tire swap.

It makes sense that good tires will beat all other suspension mods because they are what actually hold the road. Everything else the suspension does has to go through the tires to work. This is something I learned through racing RC cars as it holds true there too. Tires are 80% of your handling equation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you Robo. I have done two autocross events and didn't place as good as I would have liked. I am on some 360 UTQG Falken Zeix all seasons. The thing is I don't want to buy new tires until these run out. I will probably do 2 or three more events this year, and between that and daily driving them I will need new tires in the spring.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I actually drove the little roadster a bit today! I found myself having to beat the cars off a light to change out of the right turn lane to take a hard left turn under hard acceleration... I thought the rear tires should have broke loose a bit, but last week I put a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the back and those suckers are sticky!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I actually drove the little roadster a bit today! I found myself having to beat the cars off a light to change out of the right turn lane to take a hard left turn under hard acceleration... I thought the rear tires should have broke loose a bit, but last week I put a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the back and those suckers are sticky!!!!
Keeping those in mind!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Yes, probably would have gone with Michelin PSS myself if I wasn't going to drive her almost daily. So far, no complaints at all with the direction I went, but you do always wonder...

Maybe I'll ditch the tires off the OEM rims and get a set of Michelin PSS put on them if I ever take her to the track.

2041 - 2060 of 3844 Posts