Saturn Sky Forum banner

3821 - 3835 of 3835 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Cursing at the snow and salt on the roads and itching to get out for a drive. Doing a few cosmetic things such as installing a lighted/etched wind restrictor, trunk spring mod, upgrading the mirror, installing the DDM console (whenever it eventually shows up) and giving her a good detailing before spring arrives. My wife decided we would name the car 'Gertie'. Not sure why and I've learned not to ask questions.....
View attachment 111944
how was the install of the wind restrictor,ihave to put mine on when it warms up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Their printed instructions could have been better (spelling errors & poor photos) but I just took my time and read thru each step, visualized how it would (or should) work and then put it together. About the only change i made was to install a heavier ground wire from the remote control box which i mounted in the trunk area behind the passenger seat. Total time spent was about 1.5 hrs and a 2nd set of hands helped to ensure the restrictor was lined up properly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
. About the only change i made was to install a heavier ground wire from the remote control box which i mounted in the trunk area behind the passenger seat.
What does the remote control box do? Back in '08 I put in a Windrestrictor that lit up when the lights came on and then got brighter when the brakes were applied. When the lights were off the Windrestrictor would light up when the brakes are applied. Windrestrictor told me that device was no longer available.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The remote control box on the WindRestrictor allows me to control the brightness and shut off the lighting with a remote. And it gave me a quick & easy way to disconnect the wiring in the event of a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Just a word of caution on the trunk springs. My personal opinion is that this is just asking for trouble. Most of the Sky's that I see, over 50% have damage to the rear deck from the wind catching them and opening the deck lid wide open bending the lid near the corners. No way to fix this without a good body shop and paint, or just ignore. The car was not designed for the deck to spring up wide open. It was (I think ) made to open a few inches. Then to be lifted up for full extension.

I spent a lot of time looking at cars at the Colorado National, I was alarmed by the number that had damage that the owner did not realize. I think @Robotech has had this problem happen to him. I loaded him a German made restrictor to keep it from happening

We have another option available and that is a shock strut made in Europe, that opens it slowly and puts resistance to wind if it should catch it.

Unfortunately they are no cheap, I believe close to 175.00

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Weather here in SoCal has been pretty nice lately. I have put a little over 500 miles on my new engine, with no codes or anything weird happening. Car is running great and quite happy with it. No need for more horsepowermods

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used a reasonably weak set of springs that causes it to not pop completely open but only opens about 1 - 2 ft. I'll test it though once the weather improves. If the spring mod poses an issue then off they'll come before any damage is done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove it to the car wash. Also repair the cooling system, because recently my car is heating up more than usual. And soon, maybe I will replace the new set of tires for it, because the front two wheels have more signs of wear than the rear wheels.

3821 - 3835 of 3835 Posts