Saturn Sky Forum banner

3861 - 3877 of 3877 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
Regarding bigger brakes, wheels, and tires.

I was surprised that the chrome plated 5-spoke wheels with tires is so very heavy. Adding bigger brakes will increase unsprung weight even further. Pay attention to the weight of larger aftermarket wheels and tires and brakes. Less unsprung weight should improve ride-quality and performance handling.
For OE wheels in that size, they are ridiculously heavy, but you can certainly buy lighter ones. Tires can vary a lot also, with "better" tires generally being lighter.

"Big brakes" are more cosmetic than performance, as exceptionally good braking can be achieved simply by switching the stock pads to a "better" compound.

Based on several theoretical criteria, the optimum performance shuld be achievable with 17 inch wheels, high quality tires, and high performance brake pads.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What problems are you worried about?
I remember reading a post by Steveorama having a parasitic drain after a radio swap, Silverskygeogia having wiring related issues and a few more postings I’ve come across in the past. It would be nice having the hands free and other options, however I’m not too sure it would be worth possibly opening up a can of worms. There were even some complaints over the door/key warning chimes being too loud after a swap.

·
Registered
2008 Sky Red Line
432 Posts
I remember reading a post by Steveorama having a parasitic drain after a radio swap, Silverskygeogia having wiring related issues and a few more postings I’ve come across in the past. It would be nice having the hands free and other options, however I’m not too sure it would be worth possibly opening up a can of worms. There were even some complaints over the door/key warning chimes being too loud after a swap.
I say go for it. It’s a much better user experience. No issues after replacing my faulty harness that was causing the parasitic drain. Chimes are fine, the blinker I can barely hear though with the relay tucked into the dash.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I say go for it. It’s a much better user experience. No issues after replacing my faulty harness that was causing the parasitic drain. Chimes are fine, the blinker I can barely hear though with the relay tucked into the dash.
Thanks for the information. I’m also torn because the prices between Crutchfield and Best Buy are so close and Best Buy offers free installation..... just nervous not only to have Best Buy do the install.... not a case of laziness on my part.... time is a factor..... and the worry of parts breaking on an older car ..... and the availability/cost in finding the replacements.
A local stereo shop quoted me $1800.00 for the stereo installed..... through either Crutchfield or Best Buy the radio and accessories to install were just $800.00. Decisions.... decisions.......

·
Registered
73 Posts
Installed the cooling system check valves just to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Enlisted the help of a friend and his hoist to install DDM Pro Beam and swapped out the stock exhaust and cat for Solo high flow cat and Mach exhaust.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Work done in 2021 since pulling our Sky out from winter storage
  • new front bumper chrome piece
  • new trunk liner
  • new exterior chrome door handles
  • tweaked passenger door glass to align perfect to the convertible top
  • replaced amber side markers with LED black-out versions

Still remaining (much already purchased)
  • replace valve cover gasket
  • replace all fluids
  • replace all shocks (fronts are pre-loaded with new coil springs)
  • replace front lower air duct (and maybe something else related if needed)
  • replace all brake rotors & pads (paint front & clean rear calipers), everything for aesthetic reasons alone
  • replace OEM blacked-out rear center back-up lens with a clear one
  • get the rear bumper skin repainted by a friend who owns a body shop (clear coat on the top surface by the trunk lid flaking has gotten worse over the winter)

I promised my wife I would complete touching-up the finish on our kitchen cabinets before working on the Sky again. I am close to finishing that project.

Here was my clear coat problem last fall. It is worse this spring.

Money Pit continues to live up to it's name, but I am enjoying it. Hey, I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, no spending of money on such things. I figure I am entitled to get Money Pit up to a high standard. I am so upside-down in this investment and it's okay. If I ever sold the car, the buyer would get an exceptional deal.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
De-winterized, eye lids, new key fob, new hood louvers (chrome bubbling on old ones). Productive day!

DDM Probeam (thanks wifey) went on earlier in the winter during a warm spell, but didn’t drive until i pulled it out today.

3861 - 3877 of 3877 Posts