Saturn Sky Forum banner
4161 - 4180 of 4211 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I always wondered why the attraction to the small back-up light version.

My back-up light is full size, but smoked for some reason. I want to replace it with a full plain clear lens. Afterall, it is the only light, and the more light emitted, the better I can see backing up.
View attachment 120075
I thought there must be a film added from a previous owner, but NO, it's a real smoked lens. I hate it.

I wonder if early production had a smoked lens, later changed to a clear lens to address complaints from owners, and maybe even the NTSB got involved.
I know what you mean. These cars are hard enough to back up. I got it because it’s different.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I ordered another fog light switch and the knee bolster with provision for two switches.
Hopefully we can figure out how to make it work.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
I ordered another fog light switch and the knee bolster with provision for two switches.
Hopefully we can figure out how to make it work.
The OE switch is momentary, so it will not be able to directly control the light. There is a really small chance that the control function is programmed into the BCM, but there is a distinct lack of documentation for the Opel, so even if the programming is there you may have trouble accessing it. You may need an independent flip-flop circuit, or a different switch.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The OE switch is momentary, so it will not be able to directly control the light. There is a really small chance that the control function is programmed into the BCM, but there is a distinct lack of documentation for the Opel, so even if the programming is there you may have trouble accessing it. You may need an independent flip-flop circuit, or a different switch.
it will be interesting that’s for sure

·
Registered
717 Posts
I always wondered why the attraction to the small back-up light version.

My back-up light is full size, but smoked for some reason. I want to replace it with a full plain clear lens. Afterall, it is the only light, and the more light emitted, the better I can see backing up.
View attachment 120075
I thought there must be a film added from a previous owner, but NO, it's a real smoked lens. I hate it.

I wonder if early production had a smoked lens, later changed to a clear lens to address complaints from owners, and maybe even the NTSB got involved.
I posed this question previously as well. My redline 07 had a clear reverse light and my wife’s 08 Carbon Flash looks tinted

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing today, however, Saturday... Downloaded a new tune from ZZP. The thing absolutely hauls now. It's amazing how much more power was just waiting to be unlocked. However, there was some bad that came with it. The tune sets the fan speed to come on faster and at an earlier temperature. There was a horrible rattling that I noticed briefly before, but went away, so I didn't investigate it. Well, turns out the fan has a chunk missing, causing it to be off balanced.
Ordered a new fan to replace it. But since I have to remove the intake and charge pipes to get to it, might as well upgrade those while I have them off.
My work on my triple gauge pod set up has been slow due to trying to get the angle just right while modeling. Almost got it, but it's a 6 to 9 hour print to just test the bottom portion. Hopefully this one tonight will be close enough to easily sand down to fit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nothing today, however, Saturday... Downloaded a new tune from ZZP. The thing absolutely hauls now. It's amazing how much more power was just waiting to be unlocked. However, there was some bad that came with it. The tune sets the fan speed to come on faster and at an earlier temperature. There was a horrible rattling that I noticed briefly before, but went away, so I didn't investigate it. Well, turns out the fan has a chunk missing, causing it to be off balanced.
Ordered a new fan to replace it. But since I have to remove the intake and charge pipes to get to it, might as well upgrade those while I have them off.
My work on my triple gauge pod set up has been slow due to trying to get the angle just right while modeling. Almost got it, but it's a 6 to 9 hour print to just test the bottom portion. Hopefully this one tonight will be close enough to easily sand down to fit.
Have them tweak the tune after the intake and charge pipes. The stock intake flows pretty well though. You’ll get abit more noise and hear the blow off with the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I should try a rubbing or polishing compound to remove it, but it sure seems like it was made that way.
I rubbed vigorously for a while using Mequire's #12 compound, but there is no change in the center backup light lens. I therefore declare the smoked lens to be original as shown.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

I will be changing lenses to a clear one, hopefully this year. I want the lens to be 100% clear, not 50% clear and 50% red. I want as much light as possible when backing up in the dark.

I am curious. Is this an Opel fixture? What is the red lens for? A 4th brake light? It surely reduces backup lighting. I also do not like the athetics of the color "red" in that area of the car.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Hood

The smoked lens looks great but reduces backup lighting. I feel the 100% clear lens is a good compromise between athetics and functionality.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
I rubbed vigorously for a while using Mequire's #12 compound, but there is no change in the center backup light lens. I therefore declare the smoked lens to be original as shown.

I will be changing lenses to a clear one, hopefully this year. I want the lens to be 100% clear, not 50% clear and 50% red. I want as much light as possible when backing up in the dark.

I am curious. Is this an Opel fixture? What is the red lens for? A 4th brake light? It surely reduces backup lighting. I also do not like the athetics of the color "red" in that area of the car.

The smoked lens looks great but reduces backup lighting. I feel the 100% clear lens is a good compromise between athetics and functionality.
Yes, the two-color light is for the Opel. The red lens meets the European requirement for a rear fog light, and the Opel has a second fog light switch for it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I removed the reverse light to get a 12v source for my reverse cam. The top screws holding that thing in were an absolute nightmare to get back in, and that was after the pain of just getting the light in place again. If you have some rare earth magnets, I'd put those on whatever you are using to get the screws back in place in the hope of holding them. They're a good couple inches past any place you can get your fingers. Unless you remove the rear valence completely.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Smoothed the edges on my trans tunnel brace and coated it with self etching primer and a satin black topcoat.
If I can get some drive on hoist time I’ll install it this week.
Not as nice as store bought, but it will do the job

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
2007 Saturn Sky 2.4L
27 Posts
I finally got my car back from the auto shop after someone backed into me while it was parked. They replaced the hood, replaced front bumper cover, paint matched them, blended in both front fenders and both doors. Just waiting on the hood vents to come in.
I just finished blacking out the front chrome grill. The way I had them before they hit it!
Car Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

4161 - 4180 of 4211 Posts