Saturn Sky Forum banner
4181 - 4200 of 4211 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I finally got around to getting some things done.

1) Changed my backup light housing from smoked to clear and included a high intensity LED bulb. I can now see while backing up at night.
2) Mounted my new rear trailer hitch.
3) Added an overhead trunk light LED strip in the rear deck lid by the catch for the latch.
4) Polished my driver airbag medalion to a mirror finish to match the interior chrome accents.
5) Added a can of R134 Freon into my a/c system
6) Keeping my cooling system closed to prevent introducing air, I drained some fluid out the bottom of the radiator while adding fresh fluid to the over-flow bottle. This was the second time I did this to half-change the coolant.
7) Replaced the trunk release button in the glove box.
8) Replaced the steering wheel controls from a Chevy Cobalt (to match my custom interior lighting)
9) Replaced my steering wheel with another for it's leather in better shape.

Here is my rear deck, overhead light, wired to the trunk light bulb.
Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

I removed the truck latch (4 bolts), adheared the LED in place, then bolted the latch back on over the top of it. There is enough of a gap for it to be here, but not enough to install it. To prevent peeling, I added a dab of black gasket maker on each end of the LED strip. Two of the fifteen LEDs are covered by the latch. I originally planned to add three light strips but one does the job well.
Automotive parking light Building Automotive lighting Bumper Headlamp

Here is my steering wheel medallion. It now matches the other chrome in the interior. Also, I switched from flush to raised steering wheel buttons.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I also bought a real nice steering wheel from forum member HoosierGXP who reclaims Sky and Solstice parts. The one it replaced was decent, but not quite up to my standards.
Vehicle Car Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

I got one last issue I want to address this year. That is the sreeching sound that the sound system makes after the volume to set real high. Once the screeching sound starts, the only way to stop it is to turn off the radio. I bought a new radio but the same thing happened with it, so I am now going to replace the Monsoon amp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Almost finished my triple guage pod. I painted it yesterday, sanded it a bit, and will do a couple more coats in the morning. Even with the gloss black on I'm not seeing too many imperfections. Actually really happy with how it turned out. Hoping to have it fully painted and a clear coat on it this weekend. It's too bad it won't be installed in time for the Kappa cruise in Michigan on Sunday.
Finishing up a tune with ZZP and then should have my intake, charge pipes on Saturday. Should have my intercooler shipped soon too. Originally was going to wait for the piping, which is why I started with the tune already, but I have to replace my fan due to a chip in it. Might as well replace the piping while I have it off to do the fan.
Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Speedometer Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Light

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
374 Posts
Almost finished my triple guage pod. I painted it yesterday, sanded it a bit, and will do a couple more coats in the morning. Even with the gloss black on I'm not seeing too many imperfections. Actually really happy with how it turned out. Hoping to have it fully painted and a clear coat on it this weekend. It's too bad it won't be installed in time for the Kappa cruise in Michigan on Sunday.
Finishing up a tune with ZZP and then should have my intake, charge pipes on Saturday. Should have my intercooler shipped soon too. Originally was going to wait for the piping, which is why I started with the tune already, but I have to replace my fan due to a chip in it. Might as well replace the piping while I have it off to do the fan.
View attachment 120246

View attachment 120244
Nice work, I like the "humps". Here's my version.
I really like being able to glance over and see the temp and oil pressure. Being a 2.4 I had to find a spot to sneak in a boost gauge after installing the turbo on her..
Car Vehicle Gear shift Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
450 Posts
Installed the short shifter from DDM. Don’t have all the parts I’m looking for to do the Opel rear fog/reverse light so I needed something to keep me busy.
Heads up to Mike Martin for a great video.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CUT THE STOCK BOOT as the DDM instructions illustrate. This is a part that is no longer available anywhere. The shift boot is held in place by a metal ring, pop riveted at the four corners and in the center in back.
These rivets can be easily drilled out without removing the center console. The large rubber boot can then be separated from the metal ring and removed, leaving the ring itself inside and out of the way.
After you complete the installation, you can put the large boot back in and work it back in to the metal ring. There is a groove that it rides in. It will take a bit of fussing, but it’s not all that hard. I would probably use a bit of soapy water if I did it again.
You can tighten the cover down with 5 number 14 3/4 inch sheet metal screws in place of the pop rivets. The 4 corner ones can be done with a screwdriver. The rear one might need a 90 degree Phillips head, but once started I got that one too.
Piece of cake if 73 year old with poor eyesight can do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love the way the DDM short shifter feels.
Today I got quite a bit done! I repainted my triple gauge pod after sanding through the clear and basecoat. I was so close to having it nice a smooth too. Put double the amount of layers on this time, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Gadget Automotive design Rectangle Cuisine Cable

While I was doing that I started to replace the fan. Noticed right away that it was really loud and sounding off balanced, so ordered a new one.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Tread

While the fan was off, figured it was a good time to replace the charge pipes and intake. I also installed the one way valves for the coolant system while everything was easily accessible.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

I'm really happy I picked silver for the color of the piping. It's almost a perfect match for the silver around the windshield.

Hopefully over my next couple days off I'll be putting on the new downpipe I got, so while I was in the engine bay today I removed the turbo heat shield and spray the bolts to make them easier to remove when the time comes. I was amazed by how small the turbo is in this car. I guess I only have one other turbo that I have access to for comparrisons though.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

This was the GT3076 that I had on my Cobalt SS when I removed the blower and went with a turbo. That was one exciting car to drive once that was on there. I found the video my buddy Brian took while he was tuning it.

I loved the way that car sounded. The turbo was pretty much right behind the firewall by the passenger's left foot, so you heard that thing spool up nice and loud. Also loved the way the Tial BOV sounded on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, to add onto my previous post about the new charge pipes, a good boost leak tester is a good idea. I ended up finding 3 leaks that are now holding really well. I ended up making mine, but will probably change some things on it for when I use it next. Didn't take too long and cheaper than ordering one online.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Weather and schedule finally worked out and I got a chance to try out the DDM short shifter that’s been sitting installed since Saturday.

It’s like buying their ProBeam for your trans…
worth the cost and effort and then some

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm three weeks into Sky ownership and seem to have some catching up to do. What a great thread!

Done so far,
1. Every fluid except transmission (auto) has been changed.

2. Front and rear cameras installed, monitored by a small temporary screen (new head unit will eventually replace that)

3. Mood lighting (blue) added under dash

4. Auxiliary gauge lighting installed (I can see the gas gauge now)

5. Added a brightness control for 3 and 4.

6. Changed out most incandescent bulbs for LEDs including the mirror and backup light.

7. Created brackets to hold four resistors needed for tail light LEDs away from body work.

8. Switchback LEDs replaced the turn signal bulbs.

9. Swapped amber side marker lighting for smoke.

Future plans include a Trifecta tune and new head unit.

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
44 Posts
Weather and schedule finally worked out and I got a chance to try out the DDM short shifter that’s been sitting installed since Saturday.

It’s like buying their ProBeam for your trans…
worth the cost and effort and then some
Do you have a rattle coming from yours now? I went back and added some cloth tape around where I thought it was coming from and made sure everything was tight, but it still rattles. With the top down it isn't noticable, but it was colder than I expected this morning and driving with the top up it was all I could hear. I plan on going back to try to see where it's coming from to fix it, but wondering if it's just a one off problem or not.
Either way it's still a wonderful mod and makes the fun more fun to drive.

·
Registered
2008 Sky Redline - Manual - Emerald Metallic
92 Posts
The smoked lens looks great but reduces backup lighting. I feel the 100% clear lens is a good compromise between athetics and functionality.
[/QUOTE]
Gramps, Given any thoughts to adding some additional lights back there? Also, a bright LED might get more light through the tint. Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do you have a rattle coming from yours now? I went back and added some cloth tape around where I thought it was coming from and made sure everything was tight, but it still rattles. With the top down it isn't noticable, but it was colder than I expected this morning and driving with the top up it was all I could hear. I plan on going back to try to see where it's coming from to fix it, but wondering if it's just a one off problem or not.
Either way it's still a wonderful mod and makes the fun more fun to drive.
No rattles so far, but I’ve only put 100 or so miles on it. I greased it up pretty well before I installed it.
Not sure how long the “break in” process. Did you loctite the four Allen socket screws when you reinstalled?
Dont know if it would make a difference, but I was able to install the upper retaining plate without turning it upside down as the instructions state. There was a post that later production kits had been modified to do this.
If it develops a problem, I will update.

Did your car have the insulation that Mike Martin shows in his video? Mine did not.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
quote from rjgramps:
The smoked lens looks great but reduces backup lighting. I feel the 100% clear lens is a good compromise between athetics and functionality.

Strobe's question:
rjgramps, Given any thoughts to adding some additional lights back there? Also, a bright LED might get more light through the tint. Just some thoughts...
I looked at the clear back-up light housing other Sky owners have and felt it did not detract from the over-all curb appeal, so I got one and installed it. I also changed the regular incandescent bulb with a high intensity LED bulb. So between the two, I got a whole lot more backup lighting which was my goal. I am very happy I made those two changes. I didn't want to deviate any further.

Reactions: Strobe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Cobb LED strip is attached to the underside of the metal strip across the top (front?) of the trunk lid. I removed the latch and half of the liner (the plugs just pop out) to run a wire down to the bellows type tunnel then over to wiring for the stock trunk light. Soldered the new connection then opened a door. It works!
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
gadgetjq, So you decided to add across the entire top of the trunk lid. I did a small center section of 15 LEDs for fear that so many would be hard on my battery. Yours looks a lot better than mine.
Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Trunk Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
31 Posts
gadgetjq, So you decided to add across the entire top of the trunk lid. I did a small center section of 15 LEDs for fear that so many would be hard on my battery. Yours looks a lot better than mine.
View attachment 120354
View attachment 120355
Thanks for the compliment. I'm not worried about the power draw since the trunk light shuts off automatically after 10 (or so) minutes. If I can't find something in this trunk in that amount of time something's real wrong. :D

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I debated on mounting them so that they point down like you have, lighting up the underside of the deck lid, or point them outward toward the passenger compartment. I played around with both positions and decided to shine toward the passenger compartment. It still lights up the trunk though not quite as well, but I found it nice to shine out on the passenger compartment when the top is inside the trunk.

As you can see, the color of my light is not as white as yours. It is marketed as daylight, but has a blue tint that I don't like as much as yours.

We are like-minded with this mod.

Reactions: Gadgetjq
4181 - 4200 of 4211 Posts