Saturn Sky Forum banner
4241 - 4260 of 4289 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Finally treated the little bugger to a new set of Continental Extreme Contact Sports.
Didn’t particularly like riding on the original Goodyears and drove accordingly. The Contis were out of stock and seemed to take forever to get here.
Sure does make a difference. Got a chance to look the old ones over. No cracks or checking that I could see, but they rode pretty hard. Now all I have to do is tweak the pressures and get them where I want them.

and my new steering wheel came today. eBay has them again.
That’s tomorrow’s project….
Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar White Steering part

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If only that steering wheel was offered with black stitching and no top vertical stripe of any color.

I would like to see a picture of your steering wheel installed once you are finished.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If only that steering wheel was offered with black stitching and no top vertical stripe of any color.

I would like to see a picture of your steering wheel installed once you are finished.
It is offered in all leather, but still has the red stripe sewn in. It would be easy enough to blacken out.
They may be out of that model.
I will see that you get a pic installed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I dropped off my RL today at the paint and body shop. I'm finally getting all of the rock chips, dings and dents taken care of. It's more than I had wanted to spend, but luckily insurance cut a nice check to cover the recent rock chips that were picked up on the trip to NASSAM in SD. So that's supplementing a nice chunk of the cost and while that's being taken care of I figured I might as well take care of the rest of the car. I should have it back by the end of the week and I'll post pics. I imagine photographs won't show much of difference though since the dings and chips didn't photograph very well, but I knew they were there whenever I was driving around.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I dropped off my RL today at the paint and body shop. I'm finally getting all of the rock chips, dings and dents taken care of. It's more than I had wanted to spend, but luckily insurance cut a nice check to cover the recent rock chips that were picked up on the trip to NASSAM in SD. So that's supplementing a nice chunk of the cost and while that's being taken care of I figured I might as well take care of the rest of the car. I should have it back by the end of the week and I'll post pics. I imagine photographs won't show much of difference though since the dings and chips didn't photograph very well, but I knew they were there whenever I was driving around.
Know the feeling-you can see them without even looking at them….

·
Registered
948 Posts
Know the feeling-you can see them without even looking at them….
They were EVERYWHERE! It really drove me nuts, it's such a nice condition otherwise. The PO didn't drive it too much, but obviously wasn't very careful with it. Even though most never seemed to notice them with the car being so low and bluestone does an exceptional job of hiding rock chips, I knew they were there and they would stand out to me all of the time. So now everything is being painted except for the trunk lid and the two front fenders. Ironically my fenders are not damaged at all and original to the car. Not sure how they survived and everywhere else got beat up.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We bought our Sky with about a dozen door ding hail type of imperfections along with a few minor creases about the car. It cost me $300 for a dentless paint removal service guy to come out to the house and make the car perfect again. That was the best $300 I spent on the car.

The car also had other imperfections in the paint like rock chips and scratches. I managed to either polish them away, or touchup-paint-fill and polish them to look a whole lot better.

One problem I await to address is the top of the plastic rear bumper. The clear coat is coming off. Each year it gets worse over the winter sitting outside under a canopy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
New tires looked so good that I decided to pull the wheels and clean the barrels. There was some wheel weight backing left where they pulled the old weights and they needed a cleaning.
Not doing that again soon…
Bumped the steering wheel to Thursday.

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
394 Posts
The gauge pod looks good. If you want piano black you will get the best results if you start with black lacquer.
And a good clearcoat.. the guy at the paint shop gave me some black pigment to tint the clear for my lights but I found adding a little to the clear on the trim gave it a little more depth to the gunmetal color I went with on all my chrome and " miata" silver .. love the gauge pod, I made is a simpler version but love being able to glance over and see the vitals..
Speedometer Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
New tires looked so good that I decided to pull the wheels and clean the barrels. There was some wheel weight backing left where they pulled the old weights and they needed a cleaning.
Not doing that again soon…
Ah yes.

Our Sky chome wheels (as does the Solstice) originally have a gray colored coating on the insides. I would call it gray paint, but it comes off quite easily when cleaning them with the most gentile of chemicals, kerosene.

In the case with a Solstice I was flipping a few years ago, I cleaned off all the gray, put on a polymer based protectant, and let it shine. Boy it's wheels shown exceptionally well afterward.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

I did not bother doing that to my Sky because the wheels have a lot more wear and tear on them. I wasn't sure it would be worth the effort..

One of my Sky's chrome rims developed a rim leak last year. I dismounted the tire to discover this. Given what I saw all throughout the inside, I believe this wheel once had Fix-A-Flat sprayed inside.
Musical instrument Waste container Gas Automotive wheel system Tin

After I scraped off what I could (chrome is extremely difficult to work with), I sandblasted the affected area followed with hours and hours of sanding the perimeter sealing surface to get a real good seal.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tin Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Chrome looks great but is a curse when it starts to fail. This is one reason why I wished our 2007 Sky had TPMS.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle White

Installed the new steering wheel last night.
Not a tough job-figure about 45 min to an hour.
Had one on my 2008 and really liked it. I think it’s one of the best changes I’ve made.

Today I finally got some hoist time and got the backbone brace swapped out. Different feel on the way home compared to the ride there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
View attachment 120801

Had one on my 2008 and really liked it. I think it’s one of the best changes I’ve made.

Today I finally got some hoist time and got the backbone brace swapped out. Different feel on the way home compared to the ride there.
Really nice wheel. Where did you purchase it and you don’t mine the cost?

·
Registered
85 Posts
View attachment 120801

take look at RFE wheels. They do custom wheels. A lot of Corvette guys purchase them.
look very similar

·
Registered
48 Posts
Last week I installed the Solo Mach exhaust. It's pretty quiet while just driving around, but when I want to go faster, it opens up. Doesn't sound too back, and best of all, I haven't noticed any annoying drone while on the highway to work.

Today I installed the RPM intercooler. I ordered the comp, but I guess they aren't getting any more cores of that size, so they upgraded me to the Tru-race.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Car looks like it's so happy and jumping around with the new parts.
It wasn't too bad of an install. I found a thread on here talking about which bolts to get to make it easier and not have to worry about as many modifications. RPM now sends out the bolts for the intercooler, but I still bought the bolts for the bars that go in front that hold up the bottom of the shroud (Not in the picture). That and a couple of washers and it fits just fine. I did have to cut into the driver side bumper support as mentioned in that thread, but that went pretty fast. Had to wait awhile for the paint to dry on the section I cut into, so I mowed the lawn durring that time lol. It started to get too dark and too many mosquitoes so I'll put the bumper back on in the morning.
Only problem right now is that I have one bolt I don't remember where it goes.

Finger Wood Gas Audio equipment Nail

I remember not being able to see where it was, and thinking that it looked pretty unique and that I wouldn't forget about this bolt when I was putting them all in the orginizer. Well, I remember the bold alright, just not where it goes! So hopefully someone here knows.

Edit: it goes on the OEM intercooler. It's on the bottom with another bolt that looks the same.

With this, it's time for another tune and that should be it for this season. In the last 3 or so months I did new radio, reverse camera, DDM brace bundle, short throw shifter, charge pipes, intake, intercooler, full turbo back exhaust, stage 1 Map sensors, one way valves for the coolant, and a custom triple gauge pod for the dash with boost, interceptor, and air/fuel gauges.
I have a couple of things I'm hoping to do over the winter, including trying to find as many of those GM squeeks in the dash and get rid of them. I have a list of parts that I'd like to continue to upgrade, including bigger brakes, coilovers, clutch, injectors, and turbo, but will have to investigate more into which ones I want.

4241 - 4260 of 4289 Posts