Saturn Sky Forum banner
4281 - 4300 of 4338 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
It’s crazy to me sometimes to think folks are prepping for winter already in some areas, we hit just under 100 today in central TX. It’s fall officially, but that just means it’s summer phase 2 now, but with pumpkins everywhere basically.
Yeah. I took the family to the pumpkin patch a couple weeks ago. Got HUGE pumpkins. Painted them, they'll get carved closer to Halloween.

I also have April 10 as the date my car goes in to be fixed after Walmart backed into it. Fender, hood both getting reworked. Door getting replaced. Windshield surround being shot black to match the rest of the body.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I added a remote start and it's pretty awesome! Before anyone asks, this module is for automatic trans only. The install could hardly be easier. Remove three screws from the bottom of the steering column, plug in a harness, marry the module to your car (a multi step process involving the key) and you're done if all you want is remote start. There's some fancy stuff too including turning your head and tail lights on when the engine starts. That's a little more work and not required. Here's a video.

Cheers!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very nice. I did not need to sandblast anything as Rotors and pads were new. I would never leave all that rust. BTY what are brake drums. Last car or truck I had that had drums was almost forty years ago. Yours wheels look great.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Starting a car with a voice command and Alexa is a very scary thought to me. I could see things happening on their own without my knowedge.......leading to death. As it is, my phone is always doing things without my intention.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
View attachment 120964
Bled the brake/clutch system. By the looks of the fluid it had never been done. ‘09 that just turned 10k miles as week. All the wheels looked like this😊
tchr49, I have seen so much worse than what you pictured. I am NOT saying the brakes should not have been bled. I AM saying you did good "Even Though" the fluid looks as shown.

Because I have a manual transmission where the hydraulic clutch is integrated into the braking system, I like to flush the fluid every-other year. This because I cannot flush the clutch system independantly. The old clutch fluid ends up contaminating the brake fluid as the car is driven. So my clear clean brake fluid soon darkens.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You used a Brillo pad and it did not take off the gray paint? Wow, you have a talent!

The gray paint came off all too easy for me with Solstice-GXPs I flipped.

2008 Solstice GXP Navy Blue
The finish on these was like a mirror.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Automotive design

2008 Solstice GXP Red
These were not quite like a mirror, but still very sharp. I believe these were polished wheels, not chromed.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

2007 Solstice GXP Black
These were originally polished but had clear coat failure so I got them sandblasted and power-coated.
Wheel Automotive tire Product Hubcap Tire

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Bicycle part

My Sky?
I didn't bother, primarily because I store the car outside in the winter. Small birds seek shelter inside the wheels and the bird droppings pile up. So I figure the gray paint offers better winter-time protection.

BTW: Kerosene is what I used to get the gray paint off. It shouldn't but it does.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It’s been on my list for awhile and I finally got around to it. I wrapped my shifter cover in piano black vinyl to match the dash. My chrome factory finish had lots of small scratches and swirls and it just needed to be refreshed. I’m really happy with the way it turned out. I used the same vinyl to wrap the Metra stereo adapter too back when I did the stereo and it’s almost an exact match to the factory as you can see.
Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice job! Is there a plate under the cover (PRND4IL) that can be removed? How did you push tint into all the holes? I'm sure there's some magic involved. ;)
Yes, it’s a pretty straight forward removal. Pull the shifter trim straight up from the shift boot. There is an allen head set screw and a copper pin that holds the shifter in place. Disconnect the wiring harness and the whole thing lifts out. Flip it over and there is 6 tabs that hold the boot and the electronic board assembly. Just push on the tabs and lift up each corner. The boot and shifter lift out the top and you’re good to go. I spent maybe 1.5 hours with disassembly, cleaning, applying the vinyl, and reassembly.

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I added a horn because if one is good, two have to be better right?

Actually two are better sounding but are they louder? Let's find out. The second horn in this video was pulled from a Toyota Avalon ($3) but there are lots of choices if you have an auto salvage nearby. If spending a quality hour at your area pick-a-part doesn't appeal to you, check eBay. The mod just needs a single wire if your additional part is self grounding, two if it's not. Just run an extension from the original horn harness. The stock fuse handles the load just fine. Enjoy!

4281 - 4300 of 4338 Posts