Saturn Sky Forum banner
4341 - 4360 of 4361 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Since the wiring is there already after the floor lighting mod I added a little illumination to the center console storage cubby.

Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part Electric blue Family car

This little light is serious overkill for the space but it was screaming "use me, use me" so..... https://amzn.to/3YbKovx

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware Cable

Notice the 1/2" hole in the rear of the cubby already exists so all you have to do is drop wire from there to the floor. Another path would be back into the trunk where you could connect to the tail light wiring. Either path requires pulling the black rear cabin panel out a little but it's just held in place with clips. No drilling needed.

· Registered
597 Posts
Rain has taken care of what little salt has been put down, so took advantage of a warm(sorta) day and my good friend Andy’s hoist. Threw on the Black Friday probeam from DDM and the Solo Mach exhaust.
Drove her home and covered her up. Pulls to tweak and finalize the tune will have to wait until spring.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
114 Posts
Rain has taken care of what little salt has been put down, so took advantage of a warm(sorta) day and my good friend Andy’s hoist.
Wow, that doesn't look like the underside of a snow country car at all!

Down here in the warmer states we're used to seeing everything all shiny under there but generally speaking I expect to see every nut and bolt rusted and aluminum horribly pitted on northern cars. You've apparently taken very good care of her. Way to go!

· Registered
114 Posts
Some might find this helpful, I know it's working for me (my girth has expanded ever so slightly over the years). If you have a little trouble finding the right side of your driver's side seat belt buckle (or left for the passenger) for whatever reason this might be your solution: Amazon.com: SSSJWS Original Seat Buckle Belt Extenders Button, Buttons Extender for Comfortable Use : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

It extends the receiving side by two inches which doesn't sound like much but makes a big difference. This photo shows the OEM height.
Vehicle Automotive design Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

This one has the extender in place.
Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Rim

It's cheap too at about $14. If you want to test it out, find something that's two inches high (make a little cardboard box), hold it on top of the receiver and pull your belt over to it.

There's a secondary benefit. If groceries on the right seat set off the seat belt alarm inserting the extender will turn it off. If your air bag sensor is bad and you've never gotten around to fixing it, this will turn the light off....and if your passenger refuses to wear a seat belt....leave them home.

Cheers!

· Registered
114 Posts
I added a new and improved high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) noise reducer ( https://amzn.to/3Vbez3h ) and it makes a big difference. Here's a photo comparing the original cover for the hpfp and the new and improved polyurethane foam model.
Black Headgear Font Personal protective equipment Art

The original cover is made from some sort of fuzzy cardboard, the new version is, as mentioned above, some kind of foam and obviously far thicker. The install instructions (attached) claim a 50% reduction in noise from the pump and I wouldn't disagree.

The install is simple (hardest part is releasing the electrical connector) and can be done with a 1/4" socket wrench, 7mm, 10mm and 12mm sockets, a screwdriver or panel tool to pop out several black panel retainer pins (you have to open the doors to reach one pin on each side) and a damp rag. You'll remove your windshield wipers (the 12mm socket) then the air intake panel at the front of the windshield (6, 7mm bolts and 6 panel pins). Three bolts hold a bracket covering the noise reducer, easy to loosen with a 10mm socket and your fingers. Tip, loosen that bracket first and let it drop down a little so you can squeeze the electrical connector release (on the bottom of the connector). Maneuver the bracket out, pull the old cardboard noise reducer off, pop the new one on and reassemble in the reverse order you removed everything. Note, there's a hook on the panel that fits under the windshield edge.

Oh, the damp rag? When you remove the air intake cover you'll notice there's about 15 years worth of dust/grunge built up in there. This is a good time to wipe everything down and don't forget the air intake itself. :)

Cheers!

Attachments

· Registered
2007 Saturn Sky Redline. 5-speed, gray. 87k miles on body. 1k miles on crate engine and turbos.
111 Posts
Wow. Sounds like quite a chore, especially the electrical connections. Good job.

My updates are minor, and pale by comparison... Added seat belt connector extension, and tray/cupholders that fit in gap between seat and tunnel. New engine cover tomorrow (removed before I bought car).

· Registered
1,019 Posts
I added a new and improved high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) noise reducer ( https://amzn.to/3Vbez3h ) and it makes a big difference. Here's a photo comparing the original cover for the hpfp and the new and improved squishy foam model.
View attachment 121538

The original cover is made from some sort of fuzzy cardboard, the new version is, as mentioned above, some kind of foam and obviously far thicker. The install instructions (attached) claim a 50% reduction in noise from the pump and I wouldn't disagree.

The install is simple (hardest part is releasing the electrical connector) and can be done with a 1/4" socket wrench, 7mm, 10mm and 12mm sockets, a screwdriver or panel tool to pop out several black panel retainer pins (you have to open the doors to reach one pin on each side) and a damp rag. You'll remove your windshield wipers (the 12mm socket) then the air intake panel at the front of the windshield (6, 7mm bolts and 6 panel pins). Three bolts hold a bracket covering the noise reducer, easy to loosen with a 10mm socket and your fingers. Tip, loosen that bracket first and let it drop down a little so you can squeeze the electrical connector release (on the bottom of the connector). Maneuver the bracket out, pull the old cardboard noise reducer off, pop the new one on and reassemble in the reverse order you removed everything. Note, there's a hook on the panel that fits under the windshield edge.

Oh, the damp rag? When you remove the air intake cover you'll notice there's about 15 years worth of dust/grunge built up in there. This is a good time to wipe everything down and don't forget the air intake itself. :)

Cheers!
I replaced this cover too and noticed a significant difference in the HPFP clicking. It's a nice and cheap mod that only takes about 30 minutes to do start to finish.

· Registered
114 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I posted my interior lighting mod ( What did you do to your Sky today? ) and someone asked if a manual on/off switch could be added so opening a door to turn on the extra lighting isn't necessary. Well, yes it can! My effort is a little more complicated because of a 'no drill' restriction I've put on myself. It would be so much easier just to punch a hole in the dashboard and insert a switch. Instead, I added an SPDT switch to the back of my aftermarket (camera) mirror. Anyway, here's a very short video showing how the new switch works.
Enjoy.

Cheers!

· Registered
114 Posts
I got tired of the key fob bouncing off my right knee so replaced it with this.
Bumper Bag Automotive exterior Gadget Rectangle

I purchased it from an eBay vendor here: Remote For 2007 2008 2009 2010 Saturn Sky Keyless Entry Car Flip Key Fob 034 | eBay for $12.

The remote/key combo is a bit larger than your OEM fob
Car alarm Grey Font Electronic device Peripheral

and it's heavier (1.1 oz for the original fob and key, 2.0 oz for the combo fob.

If you ever decide to go this route there are a couple of hurdles you'll face.

1. The key has to be cut. This means taking the fob apart (3 tiny screws on the back) to remove the key portion. Pay close attention to how the key, spring and release button are attached to make reassembly a little easier.
I had the key cut at a local Ace hardware store. Initially the store employee was skeptical and warned the key might not work correctly but it did fit in the machine and the key works flawlessly in the door and ignition.

2. The fob has to be programmed along with the key or you can transplant the guts from your original fob into the new case. I lucked out and found a used Dorman programmer on eBay for $10
Gadget Font Adapter Cable Peripheral
and it works beautifully. Note, if you program one fob you have to program them all (new and original + any extras you have) in the same session. Most locksmiths can also program the fob and, of course dealers can too....for a price. Programming the key needs no special equipment, the instructions are in your owner's manual. Basically, start the car with an already programmed key, turn the car off, insert the new key and start the engine. Done.

3. You might, or might not get an error code (U0073 control module communication) after reprogramming fobs. I did and the reason is a mystery since nothing else was changed. I cleared the code using Torque and an obd code reader and it never returned.

The result is pretty slick and, best of all, no more fob bouncing off my knee. :)

Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Car seat cover Steering wheel

Cheers!

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,433 Posts
Interesting fob project.

Not to be a downer about it because I appreciate your creativity, but you might have reintroduced the problem of the recalled keys, most especially if you attach other keys to that fob making a keychain. I would not attach the fob to anything else. Remove the keyring, use it independently and you should be fine avoiding the car turning off on its own after hitting a bad bump in the road.

· Administrator
8,913 Posts
I have been using a similar key for several years without issue. I agree that hanging anything from it will likely cause problems.

· Registered
114 Posts
Interesting fob project.

Not to be a downer about it because I appreciate your creativity, but you might have reintroduced the problem of the recalled keys, most especially if you attach other keys to that fob making a keychain. I would not attach the fob to anything else. Remove the keyring, use it independently and you should be fine avoiding the car turning off on its own after hitting a bad bump in the road.
Thanks for the heads up. In my case the ring is only there to hang the fob on a key holder at home. The fob doesn't come with a ring, maybe for the very reason you've mentioned.

Cheers!

· Premium Member
454 Posts
I started with the same fob above (might’ve been back in ‘15/‘16) and then upgraded to this one:

Smaller, sleeker and weighs less.

Quick FYI- you don’t need to open the module to remove the key. When you open the key 1/2 way, you’ll see the pin that holds the key in place. The same locksmith that cuts the key can usually punch the pin out.

One of my fav mods/upgrades and glad to see others doing it as well.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Bought the set of special edition wheels that were posted briefly on the forum yesterday. Great friend vacationing in Florida for a few months picked them up an hour ago.🙂
Good for you and glad that turned out to be legit. I saw that post, but thought it smelled fishy. New member, absurdly low price, hard to find item, wrong year in the listing. etc. There's just been so many scammers in the listings as of late.

4341 - 4360 of 4361 Posts