Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note that when you place your order for a redline, they give you a six letter acknowledgement. My dealer has no idea what they mean. If you placed an preliminary order for a redline, let's try to figure them out. It must have to do with color and optins. I ordered a red, tan leather/top, single cd monsoon radio and stock polished aluminum wheels. My number is KFRNWF. Let's all post our numbers and color combos and try to decipher the letters? For example, the third letter R might stand for red?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
My understanding is that your order number is a rendom alphanumeric designation. I'm not sure if that is entirly correct though. My order ended in 82 and the order right after me ended in 83.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
They are different for each order. The idea is that using 6 letter rather than 6 numbers gives far more combinations (there are 26 letters and ony 0-9 in numbers) for each spot. So the first order was AAAAAA, then AAAAAB And so on.:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
skyfan said:
I note that when you place your order for a redline, they give you a six letter acknowledgement. My dealer has no idea what they mean. If you placed an preliminary order for a redline, let's try to figure them out. It must have to do with color and optins. I ordered a red, tan leather/top, single cd monsoon radio and stock polished aluminum wheels. My number is KFRNWF. Let's all post our numbers and color combos and try to decipher the letters? For example, the third letter R might stand for red?
I have no idea if my Saturn guy knows the truth , but he told me it was random (didnt indicate color) because I have ordered Midnight Blue but I am thinking of switching to black. He said the order number was only the beginning and they would call me and get the ordering specifics again when it was time to "really" order. Seems like I recall something from Statistics class about factorials ! - and that means the first one started with what ????....... Anyway I am Midnight blue, tan/black interior, chrome, 6 CD monsoon with XM, no spoiler.
KFRQM6

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
They are different for each order. The idea is that using 6 letter rather than 6 numbers gives far more combinations (there are 26 letters and ony 0-9 in numbers) for each spot. So the first order was AAAAAA, then AAAAAB And so on.:D
Well, with my order number i guess i'd be good for a 2010 delivery:lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Pitcom said:
Well, with my order number i guess i'd be good for a 2010 delivery:lol:
I dont mean to say they started at AAAAAA -- they may have been using this numbering system for 3-4 years already...

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I dont mean to say they started at AAAAAA -- they may have been using this numbering system for 3-4 years already...
Hehe, i know. Was jost poking fun with the example. How many hours left on the countdown?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Order numbers

I would imagine that an order number is unique to your specific order - so any kind of coding related to features woudl not distinguish your order from someone elses.

IBM uses a 6 character alpha numeric order number for many of its products and while there is a pattern to these "numbers" such as 08XYGH - they are for all intens and purposes random - and are merely an indentifier key on a table in a database that links to data in other tables - the order number grants each user - based on their privileges with IBM - access to various other tables - some of which include customer details, and some of which do not. Generally a group of products ordered together will have sequential numbers.

So a random, unique number that appears to follow a pattern may in fact contain no real information in and of itself - depsite appearing to follow a pattern. I believe it is a function of the human brain to try to find patterns and meaning in most everything - but the reality, much to the chagrin of consipravy theorists, is that some things are just random.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Lil GTO said:
I would imagine that an order number is unique to your specific order - so any kind of coding related to features woudl not distinguish your order from someone elses.

IBM uses a 6 character alpha numeric order number for many of its products and while there is a pattern to these "numbers" such as 08XYGH - they are for all intens and purposes random - and are merely an indentifier key on a table in a database that links to data in other tables - the order number grants each user - based on their privileges with IBM - access to various other tables - some of which include customer details, and some of which do not. Generally a group of products ordered together will have sequential numbers.

So a random, unique number that appears to follow a pattern may in fact contain no real information in and of itself - depsite appearing to follow a pattern. I believe it is a function of the human brain to try to find patterns and meaning in most everything - but the reality, much to the chagrin of consipravy theorists, is that some things are just random.
Holey Crapola Batman :willy: You sound just like my old statistics teacher from college! Are you a PhD or a member of MENSA or what ?????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts