Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people are using to keep the Skys shining bright:drool:
I personally have avoided rainy days to drive so most of what I have used is waterless clean and shine poducts for dusty clean ups. I like to keep it extra clean and this allows me in a short time to keep a good protective layer on and keep it shining too:eek: Those wheel wells really get black, must be the soft rubber tires wearing from all those on / off ramps:driving:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well, Yellow will show every dark speck. I was told and have used (for the three weeks I have had her) nothing but Meguires Gold carwash. It is more of a shampoo than a car wash. For now I am using Meguires spray wax. Once the car is a bit older we will polish (Meguires, of course) then wax.
For tires Endurance for a nice even black that lasts weeks. Meguires leather cleaner/conditioner and Meguires Vinyl treatment rounds out the bath time.

Being such a small car -- it really takes so much less time that the extra car makes the finish POP. :thumbs:

Just before Fall I plan to clay teh finish - polish and give the finish a nice deep wax.... Come spring Sunni1 will be ready to soak up the sun once more!:cheers:

·
Registered
295 Posts
rick saw a yellow sky at the kissimmee fla dealer last week...yellow is a real eye catcher

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Hmmmm..... that is the kids job!!!!! or SKIHI'S...when he pulls into my yard...HEHEHEHEHE..... i know i use what you showed me for waxin' her...... EAGLE WAX AS YOU DRY...... GREAT STUFF... THX AGAIN..SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
RedSky2night said:
Just wondering what people are using to keep the Skys shining bright:drool:
I personally have avoided rainy days to drive so most of what I have used is waterless clean and shine poducts for dusty clean ups. I like to keep it extra clean and this allows me in a short time to keep a good protective layer on and keep it shining too:eek: Those wheel wells really get black, must be the soft rubber tires wearing from all those on / off ramps:driving:
I've been hand washing my car with Mothers, and then backed it up with Wet spray wax. As you can see, the car has a definite shine. I'm backing Foose's recommendation and sponsored products. I also have Mother's leather cleaner and interior cleaner. I use Windex on the windows and Mother's wheel cleaner from the chrome wheels and just a dab on the metal pieces on the hood.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Meguires gold car wash. Corporate Saturn said to wash the rag top with a mild detergent and suggested Ivory liquid.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
I've been hand washing my car with Mothers, and then backed it up with Wet spray wax. As you can see, the car has a definite shine. I'm backing Foose's recommendation and sponsored products. I also have Mother's leather cleaner and interior cleaner. I use Windex on the windows and Mother's wheel cleaner from the chrome wheels and just a dab on the metal pieces on the hood.
Those Foose wheels of your are killer :cool:

I typically use all Mothers products - however I recently used the Meguires clay bar system and LOVED it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
sky dawg said:
Meguires gold car wash. Corporate Saturn said to wash the rag top with a mild detergent and suggested Ivory liquid.
Use RAGGTOP to clean the cloth top... Read all the threads and posts on it....Skip...RAGGTOP believer....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I use a light power wash with Gold Class liquid soap. I only use water on the top. I use AutoGlass on the windows and rims and chromastic accents. Then a California waterblade to dry it off.

I plan to buy some of the Eagle One Wax As-U-Dry as recommended by VA Tech Hokie and try that out.

Inside its leather conditioner, Armor All, and Nu-Vinyl.

Finish it off with Black Magic on the tires.

You can keep a nice luster going if you dust the car or cover her when shes not getting attention. Heres a decent duster (link) as is the one from Brookstone.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
1994SC2 said:
You can keep a nice luster going if you dust the car or cover her when shes not getting attention.
That's so true. A good duster can go a long way, if you need it looking good in a jiffy! I keep mine in the trunk with a car rag.

As for the top.... believe it or not, I wash it with just water, BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE........... take it to the gas station that has a vacuum. You will not believe what a vacuum can do to the top, it made it look so good, took all of the excess dust off and made it dark again. It was a beautiful thing. Strictly by coincidence did I discover this, but it was a good find, and cheap.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I just bought a wet/dry Shop Vac for about $35 bucks. I found it works good on the top after a wash to soak the water out of it so I can stow it away without having to let it dry forever.

AND -

Use the Shop Vac to suck the water out of the :cuss: diamond mesh in the grill. If you don't, it will seep and seep and seep forever leaving water spots on your bumper (top grill) or chin (lower grill).

You don't want dribble residue on your chin; that's the spectator's job.

:drool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
clay bar

haven't gotten my sky yet. dealer says, august,sep:banghead: will do the same as last new vehicle. before it even hits the street (except for getting it home) wash well with a good quality auto shampoo. (use your favorate) dry completely with a good quality drying product. then "clay" the entire car, following instructions for clay bar. after claying and drying her (him) give it a coat of "harly wax" using old cloth diapers to buff. (can get them at most linen supply stores) when your done, throw a towel of any sort on her(him). i will slide to the ground, the surfice is so smooth. if you don't think you need it. rub your hand over your brand new car--now get a platic baggi, put your hand in it, and rub over you car again.:cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Used Meguire's wash gel and then their spray & shine. I then used Raggtop cleaner on the top. Came out great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
when I get mine I will use Mothers Products. I use them now on my Jeep.
I'm going to use the shop vac on my rag top and see if that helps.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Phil said:
What might a clay bar be???????????????????????
Clay bar is clay in bar form that when mixed with lubricant will smooth the paint and clean the paint of all contaminents. Of couse it works a whole lot better than my three dogs, Fartblossom, TwoTeeth, and Hound licking tha paint after I rubbed chicken fat over the entire paint job.....Skip. shoo, I thought that would get her dun....:cool: :cool: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I puchased a Mr. Clean car wash system. The filtered water is wonderfull for the final rinse. No spots what so ever! A cartridge is $5.95 for 10 washes, not too bad. Allows you to get the car wet (without using the filter), applies your favorite soap, you provide the elbow grease, rinse with regular plain water, and then set it for ionized filtered rinse water and WOW! You can even let it drip dry with no spots. I like it.

$24 at walmart (pro system)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Phil said:
What might a clay bar be???????????????????????
Also go to the search feature at top of page and type Clay bar and read.....Skip....:cool: :lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dry Wash

Another product I've had good luck with is Dry Wash and Guard:thumbs: It's a totally waterless product that works good on everything but the windshield:nono: It seems to bead so fast on the windshield that it appears as fog. But for mirrors, windows, chrome, paint and even rims it is just super fast and handy, it just deletes water spots:eek: I don't recomend it on real dirty areas though:nono: I saw the 3M plastic bra on a blue Sky, it just looks lke the plastic shield area around the pluglets on the trunk. He also had it behind the rear wheels where rocks might hit. Cool stuff:cool:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts