Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think many of us should be asking ourselves the following questions incase our Sky does break down...

We are just starting to get our SKYs but in time it's bound to happen to one of us and I dont want that person to be me because I don't know what to do...:willy:

What happens if our Sky breaks down or gets a flat tire?????:eek:

Do we call for a FLAT BED?

Do we call a regular TOW TRUCK?

I mean we have to ask ourselves these questions...:confused:

Will the tow truck operator even know where to hook the Sky up?

Will a Flat bed scrape the $hit out of the front lower bumper?

Maybe some of us have some ideas on what to do if this happens?:grouphug:

Does Saturn themselves have any idea on what to do if we get ourselves in a bad spot like this?

We think about all the good things happening in our Skys but we should be ready incase something goes wrong!:banghead:

Personally if my Sky broke down I would go nuts trying to figure out what the hell to do!:skep:

Any comments people?????

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
marlboromike said:
put a 4 sale sign on it:lol:
Funny....

With the OnStar available and the extended warantee, even the regular warantee, I think you've got it covered. If you have AAA, then they can always help as well. Let's not think about that. Unless, of course, you live in the booneys or something, ya know?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Was just going over paperwork and manuels I got last nite. Was surprised to hear that GM offers free gas if ya run out. Also, my dealer informed me that if I keep using the special oil they offer and I get a blow out, they will repair or replace my tire for free. Cant remember name of oil off the top of my head, but remember it starts with a K....:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just push the little blue "OnStar" button and a friendly OnStar representitive will take over your stereo system and ask you what the problem is, and they will take care of it for you. You also have 30 free minutes on the phone service if you need to call someone else too. Even if you have an engine problem, or if the check engine light comes on, Onstar will help out to let you know if it is something that needs attention now (they will call the correct tow for you) or if it is something you need to worry about later.

oh, and if the tow truck scrapes the car up, the tow company will pay for the damage. Don't worry, your covered!

How does the MC comercial go...
Putting a downpayment on a new Saturn Sky... $500
Buying all the little chromies for the car you haven't received yet... $104
Wondering when your Sky will actually arrive... Priceless

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Star

So you think the safe bet is to go with OnStar if something goes wrong instead of AAA?

We get OnStar for free the first year so maybe I should...I just don't want the car scraped up or damaged in the process of the tow.

Even if it was just a flat tire I'm not sure if I should tow it home or tow it to my Saturn Dealership...I would fix the flat myself but the Sky doesnt have a jack set up right? I wouldn't even know where to put a jack on the Sky...I have read posts on here before about being careful when jacking up the Sky...things like you should only put the Sky on drive up lifts and that there are only certain places on the under carriage to lift the Sky up without damaging it.

You all know anything about this?

Thanks all :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe there is a tire inflator in the trunk with a tire sealant included. You wont have to jack the car up. Just put the sealant in, inflate and go to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Fix-a-flat

triple black said:
I believe there is a tire inflator in the trunk with a tire sealant included. You wont have to jack the car up. Just put the sealant in, inflate and go to get it fixed.
Just a word of caution regarding the fix-a-flat stuff - it is not meant to be a permanent solution - and if not cleaned out after the actual damage is fixed it can cause the tire/wheel to be unbalanced. Certainly use it if it gets you home or to the dealer but just remember that it is a temporary fix.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Saturn Roadside Assistance 1-800-553-6000 for 3 years/36,000 miles. Free towing to nearest dealer, fuel delivery, lockout service, jump starts, and flat tire assistance.
I've only had to call them once in 15 years of dealing with Saturn and they were fantastic. OnStar will call them for you too and using the GPS will relay your exact location to them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
REDSKY said:
I think many of us should be asking ourselves the following questions incase our Sky does break down...

We are just starting to get our SKYs but in time it's bound to happen to one of us and I dont want that person to be me because I don't know what to do...:willy:

What happens if our Sky breaks down or gets a flat tire?????:eek:

Do we call for a FLAT BED?

Do we call a regular TOW TRUCK?

I mean we have to ask ourselves these questions...:confused:

Will the tow truck operator even know where to hook the Sky up?

Will a Flat bed scrape the $hit out of the front lower bumper?

Maybe some of us have some ideas on what to do if this happens?:grouphug:

Does Saturn themselves have any idea on what to do if we get ourselves in a bad spot like this?

We think about all the good things happening in our Skys but we should be ready incase something goes wrong!:banghead:

Personally if my Sky broke down I would go nuts trying to figure out what the hell to do!:skep:

Any comments people?????
Maybe just get a bicycle. less stressful

·
Registered
22 Posts
It has already happened to me

My Sky broke down (transmission) at 84 miles total (2nd day):banghead:

Haven't owned a GM product before, but used the OnStar service,
worked perfectly! 30 minutes. Requested flatbed - Owners manual says specifically: Car not designed to be towed or to tow a trailer itself. Flatbed worked fine.

Aside: Not sure yet of the outcome of trans problems. Two factory engineers flown in to dealer today (5/20) and looked at problem. I was there by accident and observed. They want to solve problem for obivious reasons save :D so I believe they will to keep corporate :)

They are being extremely nice to me, so I have decisions to make.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Auto tranny.

Positioning lights (LED's) went out. When in drive (D), would not shift up out of first.

When shifted back into park, that is the only LED which worked. At startup, all LED's worked, but upon shifting, none would light up.

They have stated that it is a solenoid problem, but appearance of company engineers begs to suggest something unexpected and more problematic. After seeing inside the transmission today, it is a spaceage looking assembly, much more complex than any previous auto-trans I have seen.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't owned a GM product before, but used the OnStar service,
worked perfectly! 30 minutes. Requested flatbed - Owners manual says specifically: Car not designed to be towed or to tow a trailer itself. Flatbed worked fine.

Man that blows..sorry to hear it :eek: ...Go figure it's your first GM car...sorry man.

I didn't know the Owners manual talks about the Sky not being designed to be towed...

Now I know to only ask for a FLATBED if something was to go wrong!

Again I feel for you man...stay positive...things will work out and you will be loving that car in no time. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is your tramsmission auto or 5 speed? keep us posted, as to the results! this is another great reason how this forum helps others. Hope your up and running soon!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't worry be happy

Don't dwell upon what bad stuff could happen. If it does just press the blue onstar button. Wasting time worrying is unhealthy and unproductive.:cheers:

·
Registered
205 Posts
:banghead: still gotta be careful with flat beds if you got a retarded driver. I remember I had a 91 saab 900 turbo which was low to the ground cause of ground effects. Well guess what the idiot did just guess:mad:

HE hooked the thing to pull the car up the ramp to the ground effects instead of the metal hooks tgere behind em to tow it. He starts pulling i hear this crackkkcrackcrack I walk round front see what hes done hes bent the crap outta it. I'm like your going to take care of that. Hes like don't worry it's just plastic i'll bend it back.....:banghead:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If my SKY (when I actually get it) breaks down, I'll push the Onstar button and ask for a Sky Hook :lol: (sorry, just could NOT pass on THAT one!!!).

As to the automatic transmission, a couple things come to mind;
1) If it's French, well ............. it's French. 'Nough said there!
2) If you were having to deal with Ford, instead of GM, they would simply state that a) never heard of THAT, and/or b) that could not have happened. (Had a lemom Club Wagon. I heard everything except how to correct my "issues".)
3) If a Sky needs to be towed, clearly state that the front end has very low clearance, it's plastic, and that you expect it to be picked up and delivered damage free.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts