Saturn Sky Forum banner

What Kind of headlight Bulbs and HID

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Rustyknight 
#1 ·
What kind of head light bulbs will the Sky feature? It will be the shame if they are just the plain yellowish bulbs that every other crappy car has. They really should have some sort of HID lights in it, like the option on the 350Z and on most higher end cars. You just can't drive a Sky with crappy looking lights!

Which brings me to, if the Sky does have regular lights, does anyone know of any HID kits which will be compatible with the Sky, and can you suggest and brands? I'm looking for less of the blue/purple and more pure white with a TOUCH of blue. I have those crappy silverstar or whatever they are in my Tiburon, they don't look yellow at all, but they are bluish green and VERY VERY dim.

I just want my Sky to look NEW.

#5 · (Edited)
All I know is that the Solstice uses reflectors in their headlights, and the Sky has what is called "Projector beams"
EDIT:
this is what I found out on the internet about "Projector beam headlights".

Projector Headlight

When driving, what you can’t see and all those that can’t see you can be fatal and dangerous. That’s the main reason why almost all vehicles come with various sets of vehicle lights. The pair of light that’s typically installed in front of the vehicle is called headlights. These are lamps designed to illuminate the road ahead while driving in poorly lit areas or during periods of low visibility, particularly at night. Headlights are one of the earliest safety features mounted in the vehicle.

Most headlights today are electrically operated and are required to emit a low or a high beam. High beam headlights give off beam that’s straight ahead to maximize seeing distance, but they usually send out too much glare and cause back dazzle brought by the reflection from rain, fog and snow. Low beams, on the other hand, controls the light that goes upward and reroute most of their illumination downward and either rightward or leftward. This is aimed to deliver safe and excellent forward visibility without too much glare or backdazzle.

Headlights come in many types. Xenon headlights, HID headlights, Euro lights, halogen headlamps and projector headlights are among others. Replacing your existing vehicle headlights with projector headlights is among the great ways to enhance the car’s façade. Not only do they look good, projector headlights also give improved night visibility because of the brighter beam they produce and the wavelength of colors they give off. Projector headlights are offered in chrome, blue, black, red and other colors and are crafted to look so sleek that they are often mistaken as though they were customized.

To give you a clear view, projector headlights is a type of headlight that gives out a stronger beam to light a more focused area with very accurate light dispersion and less scatter loss. Its design works like a slide projector and it allows you to see what you need to see sooner and more vividly. In projector headlights, a filament is positioned at one focus of an elliptical and a condenser lens is placed in front of the lamp. At the image plane, just between the lens and the reflector, a shade can be found and the projection at the top edge of this shade is the one that gives the low-beam cutoff.

Purchasing the right projector headlight is very significant whether you’re planning to customize your truck, SUV or car or you want to enhance its driving safety. For a monochromatic and more attractive appearance, there are also taillights that are made to compliment your projector headlights. Should you want to customize your vehicle lights or you just need a replacement headlight, the best choice is projector headlights. Projector headlights are perfect for your restyling or customization job. Aside from their slick style, projector headlights are also easy to install. So if you wish for a car that really stands out from the crowd, update its style especially its front fascia using finely-designed projector headlights.

#6 ·
SkyMan 07 said:
All I know is that the Solstice uses reflectors in their headlights, and the Sky has what is called "Projector beams"
EDIT:
this is what I found out on the internet about "Projector beam headlights".

Projector Headlight

When driving, what you can’t see and all those that can’t see you can be fatal and dangerous. That’s the main reason why almost all vehicles come with various sets of vehicle lights. The pair of light that’s typically installed in front of the vehicle is called headlights. These are lamps designed to illuminate the road ahead while driving in poorly lit areas or during periods of low visibility, particularly at night. Headlights are one of the earliest safety features mounted in the vehicle.

Most headlights today are electrically operated and are required to emit a low or a high beam. High beam headlights give off beam that’s straight ahead to maximize seeing distance, but they usually send out too much glare and cause back dazzle brought by the reflection from rain, fog and snow. Low beams, on the other hand, controls the light that goes upward and reroute most of their illumination downward and either rightward or leftward. This is aimed to deliver safe and excellent forward visibility without too much glare or backdazzle.

Headlights come in many types. Xenon headlights, HID headlights, Euro lights, halogen headlamps and projector headlights are among others. Replacing your existing vehicle headlights with projector headlights is among the great ways to enhance the car’s façade. Not only do they look good, projector headlights also give improved night visibility because of the brighter beam they produce and the wavelength of colors they give off. Projector headlights are offered in chrome, blue, black, red and other colors and are crafted to look so sleek that they are often mistaken as though they were customized.

To give you a clear view, projector headlights is a type of headlight that gives out a stronger beam to light a more focused area with very accurate light dispersion and less scatter loss. Its design works like a slide projector and it allows you to see what you need to see sooner and more vividly. In projector headlights, a filament is positioned at one focus of an elliptical and a condenser lens is placed in front of the lamp. At the image plane, just between the lens and the reflector, a shade can be found and the projection at the top edge of this shade is the one that gives the low-beam cutoff.

Purchasing the right projector headlight is very significant whether you’re planning to customize your truck, SUV or car or you want to enhance its driving safety. For a monochromatic and more attractive appearance, there are also taillights that are made to compliment your projector headlights. Should you want to customize your vehicle lights or you just need a replacement headlight, the best choice is projector headlights. Projector headlights are perfect for your restyling or customization job. Aside from their slick style, projector headlights are also easy to install. So if you wish for a car that really stands out from the crowd, update its style especially its front fascia using finely-designed projector headlights.
Very helpful information.... thanks!

#7 ·
Bulbs

The projectors (low beams) and fog light bulbs are both h11, I will be doing the hid route when I get my sky already have the hids sitting by all the rest of the things i've already ordered for the sky which are:
1. Jay senoff windscreen
2. Gtech 6000K hid for low beams and fog lights
3. Kappasphere 'lil chromies
4. Clear image auto header
5. carccessories "B" style stubby antenna

If you want a half decent set of hids for a good price e-mail me if your interested, the setup is about 250 shipped. I have run this setup for about 8 months on my 06 civic and have had no problems

#12 ·
the saturn dealership down here is putting the HID in all the new skys they are sellen 895.00 for the kit and comes with saturns warrenty since they do it i was kinda shocked to read that yesterday when i was there!

#16 ·
I just purchased some after market H11 xenon bulbs (designed to give off the hotter white/blue light found in HID kits without installing an HID kit) and hope to put them in for the low beam projecter head lamps this weekend. I'll report back if I can. If it works and looks good, I'll replace the fog lamps (also H11) and high beams (H9) later.

#18 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of xenon's installed on their SKY?

#19 ·
I just got my HID kit in this AM...they look great...I'll get pics up ASAP.
If anyone knows how to post pics PM me your email address or pm me instructions for posting pics.

#20 ·
I ve had HID's almost since I got the car. There is a website PM for details that sells the kit. I paid $304 including shipping. comes with ballast and bulbs. You can do the install urself or pay someone. You might need a relay because daytime running lights use less power and sometimes it may not be enough to light both bulbs up. Other than that they are sweet!! The bulbs are H11 not many choices as far as HID kits yet. Dont bother with the highs just put in the Xenon HID like bulbs if you can find H9. Im having trouble finding them in the local china town shops here. $ 20 for the pair (h11). I did buy the H11 ones for the fogs. Gonna put em in this weekend.

#21 ·
To anyone doing an upgrade to HID, I have done this quite a few times. IMHO I highly recommend that you install the HIDs using a relay and so the load does not go thru the headlight switch, only the trigger current goes thru the switch. Alot of the time it won't do anything detrimental to the installation, but you are better of safe than sorry. Also if you use a relay and fuse the main load circuit your warranty for dashboard electronics should remain intact, without the relay I have known of people who had electronics problems in their dash and dealer just points to the headlight circuit and tells them they voided their warranty.

:thumbs:

Note check my gallery to see my current ride which has HIDs installed.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.