Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we're told by several places, even GM that the new Saturn Sky will be "under $25,000," so $24,999 in otherwords. Ok, but why does the Sky get to command a $5,000 premium over the Solstice? Well, lets see if we can figure that out.

Here are things listed as being on the base Sky that we believe are options on the Solstice. (Remember all these values are guestimates.)

Power windows, locks and exterior mirrors - $475
Extended-range remote keyless entry - ???
Cruise control - $385
Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS - $400.00
Steering Wheel, 3 spoke, leather with cruise control - ???

Having cruise control standard implies the better steering wheel with cruise control is standard too so I added that as well.

Everything else is listed as "available" which I'm guessing means 'option.'

I'm not sure but the wheels might be considered the upgraded Solstice wheels, if so that's another $1000. Problem here is I'm only seeing maybe $1500 worth of option upgrades, $2500 if the wheels are the better ones.

So why am I paying $2500-$3500 more for a Saturn, besides looks?

Maybe I'm missing some options or something, let me know guys and well see if we can solve this mystery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Could be they are targeting more of 22,500 base, something around there and are just giving themselves a little room with 25k figure (remember they may have hemmed themselves in a bit on Solstice with 20k).

Also factor in by time Sky comes out Solstice will be on it's first price increase for MY 2007 so they might also come off 20k floor too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
mceb said:
Could be they are targeting more of 22,500 base, something around there and are just giving themselves a little room with 25k figure (remember they may have hemmed themselves in a bit on Solstice with 20k).

Also factor in by time Sky comes out Solstice will be on it's first price increase for 2007 model so they might also come off 20k floor too.
According to a guy (who works for GM) at www.camaroz28.com the Sostice and Sky will out at the same time (end 2005/begining 2006)

see last post on 1st page
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330486
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
There is a premium that can be placed on the styling, and the dealership experience. Some say that can command a "halo" effect of $1000-$2000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solsticeman said:
There is a premium that can be placed on the styling, and the dealership experience. Some say that can command a "halo" effect of $1000-$2000.
I can understand $1000 for being 'upscale', plus the Sturn experience, but $2000 and up is just absurd. I'll probably end up paying it though. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
brentil said:
The Solstice is supposed to be in dealers floors ~June supposedly. And the Sky is listed as "early 2006."
Exactly, Solstice June 2005, Sky Feb 2006 (best guess).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Are there any suspension differences that would account for more money?

Regarding Sky:
The roadster’s suspension should also exceed expectations, considering Sky’s price point. It’s a four-wheel independent short/long arm suspension, with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks for improved wheel control and road isolation. The Sky will boast hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion power steering, and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS.
How much different is this from Solstice?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mceb said:
Are there any suspension differences that would account for more money?

Regarding Sky:


How much different is this from Solstice?
Same as the Solstice I believe, except the Solstice doesn't have the ABS standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Possibly a better grade of interior?

I had read one of the car magazines editorials where the author said Saturn was going to be positioned to compete with the likes of Lexus. It seemed like BS at the time. Maybe the guy wasn't blowing smoke?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Could it be the engine options?

The other day I read the piece from the dealerguy and I saw nothing showing that either a supercharged nor a turbocharged engine will be available for the Solstice. I was afraid of that! I wonder if there is the remote possibility that Saturn will do something right? I once made coment that when the Plymouth Prowler was offered it too was under powered, not unlike the Z3 BMW. This being the case It looks like the Solstice will not be in my garage this year or ever unless the power is offered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Maybe we are wrong to assume it will carry a base price close to $25K. They are saying it will be under $25K. Maybe the base will be in the low $20's, with most examples being close to $25K with a few options.

Your list of goodies is a good start. I bet AC is standard too, since it is on most vehicles and I'd expect it on a so-called premium vehicle. How about the possibility of power seats? Or an upgraded stereo standard? I doubt they will price it more just because it is supposed to be premium, since it is A: a Saturn and they really need to sell a few, B: they have no haggle pricing, so if they overprice it there is no way to haggle it back (although there are some ways, but thats another story and they want to avoid it) and C. GM throws around the word premium a lot more than it should, and there are definately cars that are called premium but are not priced or optioned like it throughout the GM empire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Tile said:
The other day I read the piece from the dealerguy and I saw nothing showing that either a supercharged nor a turbocharged engine will be available for the Solstice. I was afraid of that! I wonder if there is the remote possibility that Saturn will do something right? I once made coment that when the Plymouth Prowler was offered it too was under powered, not unlike the Z3 BMW. This being the case It looks like the Solstice will not be in my garage this year or ever unless the power is offered.
The upgraded engine is due for both cars in a year or too. Nothing too official yet, but if you read between the lines of what the GM execs have said, there will be a turbo or S/C Solstice and chances are a Sky too.

The first and only engine initially available in both will be the 2.4L 170 HP engine, per GM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Just saw in another thread the following quote of Bob Lutz regarding pricing:

Lutz says he wants the Solstice price to start under $20,000.
The Sky "will be a little over that," he says, "but not much."
I see two good things here. This leads me to believe the Sky will start closer to $20K than to $25K. It also tells me they are still on target to get the Solstice's base price under $20K. :thumbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
premium materials used in interior
anti lock brakes
traction control
power windows
power locks
power mirrors
cruise control

I'm betting a 2500.00 bump over the base Solstice price for a base Sky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Consider this: if you want to move a brand upscale, one of the things you have to do is charge more for it. Is there a big difference between the Totota Avalon and the Lexus? Yes, price. Why don't people think Hyundais are premium cars? Because they don't cost very much. If something costs more, it's better, right?

This is the conditioning that we as Americans are trained to believe. Most are so lazy that we want to take other people's word for truth so that we don't have to research it ourselves. Marketing people take advantage of this fact.

Bottom line- If we pay more we tend to feel we got more, and styling sells cars. People that feel the Sky looks better than the Solstice will be willing to pay more for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
AeroDave said:
Bottom line- If we pay more we tend to feel we got more, and styling sells cars. People that feel the Sky looks better than the Solstice will be willing to pay more for it.
Very well said.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AeroDave said:
Consider this: if you want to move a brand upscale, one of the things you have to do is charge more for it. Is there a big difference between the Totota Avalon and the Lexus? Yes, price. Why don't people think Hyundais are premium cars? Because they don't cost very much. If something costs more, it's better, right?

This is the conditioning that we as Americans are trained to believe. Most are so lazy that we want to take other people's word for truth so that we don't have to research it ourselves. Marketing people take advantage of this fact.

Bottom line- If we pay more we tend to feel we got more, and styling sells cars. People that feel the Sky looks better than the Solstice will be willing to pay more for it.
I agree. But I want a Sky, and I don't want to pay more for it since I know how close it is in resemblance to the Solstice, but they want to charge more for the 'Saturn' name now. It's just too much for me right now to want to just believe Saturn commands an extra $2500 price tag.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top